Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War! [COMPLETED!]  (Read 68618 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War!
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »

Alright, here's that present I promised you guys. I went into the config of the game and switched off the terrain HUD, and then meticulously took screenshots of every point on the map, and then crudely stitched them together in MSpaint, creating one, very large map of the entire chapter. Enjoy it, even if it's a tad big and awkwardly put together.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The castle in the very south-western portion of the map is Alster, our home castle. North of that is Lenster, where Leaf, Nanna, and Fin have taken the liberty of preemptively jumping up to guard. In the north-eastern corner is Conote. Below that is Manster castle, and below that is Mease Castle. You can clearly see all the enemy units hanging out around Conote, ready to charge Lenster's position, and the circle of armours is Muhammad's battalion, charging onto Alster.

As always, pursue every conversation as soon as you can. Alot of very useful stat gains are there for the taking. Also, be sure to compete in the arena until you have as many characters advanced as far as you can take them. I do this every chapter, but it's especially worth mentioning now that all your teenage heroes are getting competent enough to make serious progress, and gain alot of gold & experience.

In fact, Skasaha manages to get to level 20, and thus can be upgraded. He upgrades from a Swordfighter to a Forrest. He gets stat gains and blah blah blah same as Holyn.

Now, one thing you WANT to do is take whomever may have the leg ring (you did have a character inherit that beautiful, gorgeous item, right?) and have Fee purchase it, so now she has one more ring! This serves a vital purpose though.

Just start by having her fly straight north.

Let's take a look at the enemies we have to contend with right off the bat.

We have Muhammad (who has the EXACT same sprite as King Shagaal from Chapter 3. Lazy.) and his armour battalion stationed perilously close to our home castle. Then we have Ovo, a MageKnight with the most unique sprite thus far, who has a javelin brigade descending on Lenster castle. Also, Fetra, Eliu, and Vampa are back and are also going to Lenster. They're a bit slower though, and will take an extra turn or two to get to our position.

Now, normally, this chapter is excruciatingly difficult. Why? Because, at chapter start, Leaf, Fin, and Nanna will abandon Alster, and take defensive positions around Lenster Castle. They do this by themselves, right as the castle is about to be hit by Ovo's javelin brigade. Now, intuitive thinking dictates that you handle this problem by dividing up the remaining units in Alster, have some venture into the forest to fight Muhammad while the others rush northward to fight Ovo. Now, put simply, this line of thinking is WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG! You're party is GREATER than the sum of it's parts, and dividing it up is akin to suicide. You'll have your units all over the place, each trying to handle it's own problem, basically fighting a war on two fronts.

How do I intend on fixing this problem? Easy, FUCK Lenster!

Have Nanna teleport Leaf and herself back to Alster with the Return staff she SHOULD have, and then just have Fin start traveling southward back to Alster on foot. Let that bastard Ovo have Lenster if he really wants it, because while the story makes a big stink about how important Lenster is, you can let the enemy take it and it won't hurt you one bit. The way the scenario is set up, you're expected to fight on the enemy's terms, and that's something I refuse to do.

With the distraction that is Lenster out of consideration, we can turn all of our attention to Muhammad's Battalion. Also, be sure to keep Fee traveling straight north.

After a few turns, we get a small cutscene taking place at Conote Castle:

King Blume calls in an unassuming Bowfighter, Faval, and offers him a big wad of cash for Celice's head. He accepts, if with some coercion concerning his sister Patty's tough luck in life.

Well, shit, he has the Ichival. This isn't going to turn out well. Good thing he's all the way on the other side of the map.

Back at Muhammad's location:

Muhammad himself isn't that hard, but his group is full of mages, armours with steel spears, and BowArmours, the first two being high damage units, and the bowarmours being a serious nuisance. Don't get carried away and get somebody killed, but with your full force at your disposal, it shouldn't be that hard.

Now, during the combat with Muhammad, Celice himself finally got to level 20, and can now by upgraded!

He goes from JuniorLord to LordKnight, and receives a significant upgrade in stats. What's really cool though is that Celice get's the 'dismount' and 'mount' abilities with the upgrade. This allows him to, whenever he wants, to get off his horse and return to being his JuniorLord self, but it also allows him to get right back ON his horse, and continue being the Lordknight that he upgraded to. This is a really cool feature, even though there's practically no reason to use it since being mounted is inherently superior to being unmounted in every way, since a mounted unit has more movement points and can behave as a mounted unit (being able to move, attack, and move; instead of just move and attack like unmounted units).

It's there if you want though, because you might be like me and just dismount so that Celice can go back to using his older, MUCH cooler critical animations. Also, while it's an insignificant point, I feel it's necessary to mention that the unmounted Celice can move more easily through forests and other sloggy terrain, since the movement penalty on mounted units is much harsher than on unmounted units. This'll practically never come in handy though.

Back at Lenster:

Dawww, Lenster's destroyed. Good thing it doesn't matter though.

Once you kill all of Muhammad's guys, have them all start moving northward to intercept them.

BUT WAIT! ANOTHER CUTSCENE!

Apparently, Blume calls on his own daughter, Ishtar, to help fight for him. She gets the Torhammer off him and then embarks from the castle. Now, her nickname IS the "Goddess of Thunder" but I'm sure she's isn't that hard.

My bowels have just rescinded that statement. Goddamn is she scary. Besides her absolutely amazing stats, she one-ups her father by having the Continue AND ambush abilities. This means that she can attack TWICE in a single combat, consecutively at that, and if she's at 50% or less HP, she ALWAYS get's to attack first. With as much firepower as she has, she is unbelievably intimidating, and is BY FAR the most dangerous enemy we've come across thus far. Good thing she only has so much movement, and it'll take awhile for her to get to my position.

While she's far away, Ovo's right here, in our face! Let's take him out!

Well that was easy. For as much trouble as Ovo gives us, for an upgraded unit of his level, he has pretty miserable stats, and isn't that difficult if you're smashing his squad with everyone you got.

Anyway, remember how we had Fee travel northward? When she hits the top of the map, have her travel East and kill the pirate thief that's pillaging the village near Conote. There's an item there, but we aren't going to collect it just yet.

Well, we have the triplets to deal with again. Will they be harder than last time?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:02:29 pm by JoshuaFH »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »

That's a cool map Josh, I wish I had the patience to read through the whole thing.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:07 am »

Ow gads Ishtar is fucking scary. She will turn people into french fries!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:14 am »

So, are the triplets any more dangerous?

I'd say not. Heck, two of'em were beaten by Patty, just cause she needs the money.

Now, onto the REAL threat:

I cannot emphasize enough how dangerous Ishtar is. She can one-shot your weaker units, and two-shot the stronger ones, which can occur in the same combat due to her Continue ability. Her accuracy is extremely high due to the skill bonus she gets from Torhammer, and has high evasion for the same reason.

Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that she never gets the first attack on you, or you WILL be sorry. This battle MUST remain in your control if you hope to get out of it unscathed. Faval is dangerous too, but his AI is less aggressive. We'll get to him in a bit though.

Ok, here's the moment of truth. If the RNG is set against us, she can easily kill whomever we send to attack her. I'm choosing Aless for his high attack, pursuit, continue, high chance at critical, and high accuracy, all these things increase our odds of killing her in a single combat.

YES! First try! She never even gets to attack! I got EXTREMELY lucky, things could have very easily gotten very ugly.

Prince Julius makes his first appearance! He teleports in at the nick of time, and saves Ishtar from the brink of death. Apparently, he wants her for some reason, and Ishtar gladly accepts his offer. They teleport away together to Barhara.

Anyway:

Have Patty rush in and talk to Faval. She chastises him for working with the Empire, especially after they destroyed the orphanage that they were looking after! Faval apologizes, that he didn't know what had gotten into him, and he joins our party!

Faval is the son of Holyn and Brigid, and he's basically a male Brigid with better stats! A very good thing. Unfortunately, bowfighters can't inherit moonlight sword like Patty did, but he has the Ichival, which is so amazingly powerful that I don't really care about anything else. Also, Faval, like Patty, inherits his items from the wrong parent. While Patty inherits her items from her dad, Faval inherits his from his mom. I have Patty give him all her money, and have him (and Fee) teleported back to Alster to do the arena, and give him the opportunity to buy the leg and knight rings.

Only being level 9, he completes the arena with ease, he departs from the castle speeding towards our next destination, Conote Castle!

Yep, that's Conote. Yeppers.

There's some stalwartly stationary enemies guarding the bridge that leads to it, but any enemy that completely refuses to move can be beaten easily.

The only thing you need to worry about is King Blume:

His stats are the same, but his daughter ran off with Torhammer, so he's significantly less intimidating than he was before. Don't take him lightly though, he's got crazy high accuracy and power, and can still easily two-shot most of your units.

NOW HOW ARE WE GONNA DEAL WITH THIS GUY?

COME ON! TAKE A WILD GUESS! I DARE YOU!

Oh yeah, that feels good. Faval really knows how to spread my butter. MMMmmm, yeah, just like that.

The presence of the Empire has now, officially, been wiped completely from this country. However, Thracia to the South has been biding their time, and is now staging an attack!

At Mease Castle:

King Trabant is ordering around the now adult Altenna, telling her that she must take her dragon knight squad and attack Manster! She disapproves of her faux father's ruthless methods, but grudgingly goes along with the plan at her faux-brother Arion's behest.

Trabant makes some snidely remarks about Ethlin and then tells Maikov to defend or die. Then leaves.

Meanwhile, at Manster Castle:

All the defenseless people are flipping the fuck out, but good Samaritan Sety reassures them that he'll protect them, and urges the children to escape the castle and head straight for Conote!

There's now some more innocent people we can save, and earn some free levels.

Let's stop here though. This is our current position, just a few squares north of Manster:

Till next time!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »

INCEST ALERT! INCEST ALERT!

INCEST ALERT! INCEST ALERT!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:40 pm »

Believe it or not, you learn from villagers that Julius and Ishtar are in love and already in a committed relationship, but surprisingly, are NOT related to eachother. Ishtar is from the Tordo line, and Julius is from Heim, Fala, and Lopto lines. These lineages have never crossed before, and therefore no incest, in any form, is occurring!

It's shocking, I know.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2010, 06:03:50 pm »

It was the hair color, it looks like Deirdre's.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:45 pm »

I can see where you'd mix them up, Heim's and Tordo's are only a few shades apart when it comes to hair color:

Julia and Deirdre:

Tordo's:

The only Tordo's without pale blue hair are Reptor and Blume, who are both so old that they're completely grayed out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2010, 12:09:48 am »

Ok, it would seem we have a problem, Altenna is on her way to Manster:

She inherited her father's Gae Bolg, and is intimidating all around. Her and her dragon riders are coming to wreak com havoc!

Before we worry about them though:

Talk to Sety, the neutral sage guarding Manster, and he'll join our party!

Sety is an excellent character, regardless of who the father is, since he's a speedy, skilled, decently strong sage that starts with a useful lightning tome.

Now, most player's of the game know only one version of Sety, the Levin!Fury version. This is because then he inherits the holy tome Holsety, and this makes him a god among men. Trust me when I say that alot of player's simply don't recognize anyone else other than Levin for Fury simply because Sety winds up so brokenly powerful as a result.

Anyway, the civilians will be rushing northward as fast as they can, and I personally suggest having Leaf collect them all. He needs all the levels he can get, because he's woefully incompetent in his un-upgraded form. There's six Civilians so that's six levels he's gaining for free.

The Dragon riders are charging!

But wait! Altenna doesn't want to fight! She thinks it's wrong to kill innocent people and stuff! The dragon riders charge without her, as she just sits on the mountaintop.

The dragon riders aren't that tough, and in fact, only have higher than average attack and defense, and absolutely SUCK in all other attributes. A pushover, I swear.

Altenna plants her ass on the mountaintop, far enough away that noone can bother her. Fee can't even fly in close due to the airspace around her being restricted area.

Alrighty:

Let's get two valuable items. The pirate that Fee killed earlier had a power ring! Then there's a small village that you need to RACE to in order to get to it in time, because it has a really valuble item, the thief ring! This let's the person wielding it to steal, obviously, and it's most useful on any one of the legendary weapon holders, so that they have an easier time maintaining their holy weapon.

Lakche finally upgrades from Swordfighter to SwordMaster, and acquires the continue skill, filling out all her skill slots. She's just upgraded from formidable, to EXTREMELY formidable.

Then, through gratuitous heal-spamming...

Julia upgrades from a shaman to a Sage! She's the first character to hit the limit of 30 for any stat, and so now she's a magical powerhouse.

Back to fighting and killing and killing.

Hohum. Unstoppable wall of carnage. Yawn.

To be fair, the enemy forces SHOULD have posed a greater challenge than they did. I guess I just got really lucky with the RNG, and the enemy missed alot of shots that SHOULD have hit as a result.

This Maikov guy doesn't even know what's coming. He's a pitiful end of chapter boss. He's barely even related to the story!

I let Lester do the honors this time. No point in pulling out the big guns killing such a small fry.

The peninsula is now HALF-CONQUERED! Levin informs us that we must now turn our sights onto Thracia, because even though they're not really related to the Empire, they're a bunch of dicks anyway.

Altenna, wonders whether she's right by sticking by her faux-father, and flys away back to Thracia.

I hope the next chapter doesn't introduce alot of pointless characters that ultimately won't make a difference, and only further complicate things.

Son of a bitch!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:46 am »

Wait wait wait....

So hair color is dependant on the type of Holy Blood?

Wow :O

And what if someone's doesn't have holy blood? Rainbow miracles, sir? :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2010, 03:34:38 am »

Wait wait wait....

So hair color is dependant on the type of Holy Blood?

Wow :O

And what if someone's doesn't have holy blood? Rainbow miracles, sir? :P

Well, it's just that people with a common lineage point tend to have the same traits. In this case, it's hair color.

And yes, rainbow miracles do occur, as some couples will give birth to children that don't share hair color with either parent, like Aideen's kids.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:07 am »

To make my point about the rainbow miracle hair colors, Aideen was a blonde, right? Her kids:

I've decided that I intend to place a chapter map for every remaining chapter.

CHAPTER MAP:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the chapter starts off with King Trabant:

King Trabant chastises Altenna, and tells her that she better get out there and make some heads roll OR ELSE!

Trabant then takes a short trip to take to one of his generals, Hanibal (or Hannibal, depending on how bad your translation is).

Hanibal, being an experienced mind at the forefront of a matter he's most familiar with, informs Trabant that this war simply can't be won, and that they should sign a truce with us. Trabant doesn't want any of this talk, and feels that Hannibal isn't as trustworthy as he wants him to be. He then takes his adopted son Corple and tells him that if he wants to see his son alive, he wants to see us dead.

He then travels to Luthrecia Castle to drop off Corple and then travels to his other castle to chat up with the local dark priest.

At Mease:

Levin gives vague reasons as to why we should lay the hurting on Thracia, but we plan to anyway so who cares.

Also:

Silly translators! Putting in non sequitur conversations when they can't think of anything else to do.

Fin then confronts Leaf about the Dragon Knight that was sitting atop that mountain, that he could clearly see the aura of Noba around her, leaving no other explanation then that that's Leaf's long lost sister! He tells us flatout that Leaf needs to talk to her.

Goddamn that's a lot of conversation. During my usual run through of the arena, alot of characters are now finally hitting level 20, and can be upgraded:

Delmud:

Delmud's turning out to be a MIGHTY FINE ForrestKnight! I'm telling ya, Levin can't have bad kids, no matter who you pair him with. Even if he doesn't have pursuit, still mighty fine.

Nanna:

Nanna's upgrade to a Paladin patches up almost all of her problem, like her low defense and attack. Also mighty fine, but she's much more useful as a healer than a fighter.

And most importantly, Leaf:

Leaf transforms from a Prince to a MasterKnight! He gains a horse, a bunch of awesome ranks in weapons, and most importantly, the pursuit skill! Outfit him with whatever you like, but I recommend the high power silver weapons, and a high grade healing staff like the Recover staff so that you have another healer on hand when you need it.

Now, on the battlefield!

Altenna charges, while Hannibal commands his men to sit back and play defensively.

Hannibal's battalion is surprisingly formidable. His force is limited to armours, but those armours have abnormally high hp and are well equipped with things like hero spears, hero bows, and sleep swords.

Get your men out, but don't attack outright. Hannibal meant it when he said he was going to play defensively, and he won't charge unless you get within his squad's attack radius, and if you exit the radius after entering it, his squad'll default back into inaction.

Corple complains to his captor that his father wouldn't be fighting if it weren't for him. Perhaps we should keep that in mind?

While everyone else waits on the frontlines, have Fee get directly west over the mountains.

Altenna's dragon riders aren't any harder than the variety we fought earlier, dispatching them is a trivial task. Just be sure to not fall into Altenna's attack radius, and you won't be viciously impaled on her Gae Bolg. Position Leaf so that he can reach her in a single turn, use Leen if you have to, and have him talk to her:

Leaf does some serious fucking persuading, but he doesn't convince Altenna completely, who instead opts to abandon combat and go talk this matter over with Trabant:

Trabant immediately confesses as to what he did to her real parents in the Yied Desert, and he's not ashamed at all. Altenna is seriously pissed, but Arion, Trabant's real son, jumps in and deals a lethal blow to her! Oh noes!

Trabant is so impressed with the son that he raised, that he relinquishes control of the kingdom over to him right then and there before taking his own personal dragon knight squad to attack us.

I personally love the hell out of Trabant. He's got a cool name, he's ruthless as hell, he takes no guff from anyone, and he's still somewhat sympathetic because all the heartless killing he does is to achieve the goal of saving his people from lives of being forced to be mercenaries, so that Thracia can live in prosperity like every other country.

And Trabant entering the battlefield causes Hannibal to fly into aggressive mode, due to the warrior code or somesuch. A difficult battle lies ahead of us!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:53:16 am by JoshuaFH »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2010, 02:54:11 am »

I added the chapter map, for anyone that might have read the update already. Go back and look at it if you're curious.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2010, 04:54:03 am »

6 villages in one place? Capital city, I presume?
SigFlags!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2010, 05:20:25 am »

That's just six villages all clumped together for no discernible reason. A pirate is there that starts pillaging all of them, STARTING with the one that has an item. We'll cross that bridge when we get there though.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17