Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31581 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #330 on: August 06, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

Another article that details the laments people are going through because of Blizzard (this one's fairly recent)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/08/starcraft-2-the-latest-game-to-control-user-created-content.ars

I've gotten tired of Starcraft 2 after tromping through the campaign. Ladder doesn't hold that much appeal to me (it never did; custom mapping was always my thing), and Battle.net 2.0 just doesn't have the same oomph to it (or the same addiction level to it) that the original did. ActiBlizzard just put the people who keep their game replayable and fun into a bad position (not that they care, they already have my money); I don't see DotA becoming a big hit, or anything else that isn't a 10 minute casualfest for that matter.

I mostly played Zerg, albeit badly, so I might have fared better with Terran (managed to "perfect" a marine rush back in the original Starcraft, non-competitive pubs).

I've pretty much transitioned back to playing Warcraft 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if more people came back to it after the things Blizzard's pulled.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »

Really it's all Blizzard's fault for just hosting the maps in the first place. If they didn't host the maps, they wouldn't have much control over the content of maps, but they wouldn't be able to be held liable for it. The reason they do this is not only because they can, but because they have to or their precious little Teen rating will be bumped up to Mature.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2010, 06:49:19 pm »

we got no problems with murder and genocide!
But, we do have problems with sexual material!

Even that's changed though. Diablo 1 had rooms with female corpses impaled on spikes in a "bent over for easy access" position. Warcraft draenei used to have a joke emote that speculated whether gnomes had a vibrate option. I vaguelly remember there being a casual mention of rape during the orc campaigns of one of the original warcraft games. Blizzard has traditionally been non-politically correct to the point that I personally assumed they were doing it deliberately to thumb their noses at the gaming industry, and sexual content has appeared in their games since pretty much the beginning.

But Blizzard no longer exists. Activision does.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2010, 06:55:02 pm »

waiiiiit when did activision take over blizzard.... i hate activision.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:11:06 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »

waiiiiit when did activision take over blizzard.... i hate activision, bloody neo-nazi do-gooders....

The deal closed July 9, 2008. The company believed that the merging of the two companies would create "the world’s largest and most profitable pure-play video game publisher".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:35 pm »

neo-nazi do-gooders....

Wait. What?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

Nom nom nom

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »

neo-nazi do-gooders....
Wait. What?
watcha talking about?

Precisely.

More helpfully: Most people do not associate "neo-nazi" with "do-gooder", except as antonyms. I am no fan of Activision (and more and more, Blizzard as well), but I have to admit I have no idea how either of those terms apply. Could you please explain?

As long as I'm here I may as well ask my questions. I'm a huge Starcraft fan, so I want to play the campaign. But I'm NOT a fan of giving control up to faceless corporations. Particularly when they're partnered with Facebook. Just how pervasive is this "Facebook integration" I keep hearing about?

(Don't know why I bother asking, I'm not going to be able to afford a computer that can run it for a few years anyway. *grumblemumble*)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »

Really it's all Blizzard's fault for just hosting the maps in the first place. If they didn't host the maps, they wouldn't have much control over the content of maps, but they wouldn't be able to be held liable for it. The reason they do this is not only because they can, but because they have to or their precious little Teen rating will be bumped up to Mature.

That's a side effect of Blizzard removing LAN and locking people into Battle.Net.

See Blizzard? Give us back our LAN games!

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »

Okay, I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Zerg are pretty cool.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »

It takes a lot of clicking to play though. There's always some larvae and creep spores waiting!

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 06, 2010, 11:48:10 pm »

But I just love having five infestors burrowed outside an enemy base, sending in 20 ranged units every few minutes.

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2010, 03:55:13 am »

Ps: As a terran, I myself HATE mutalisk rushing, sometimes it's quite devastating if I didnt scout properly. :(.
But I love when the Zerg goes for roaches, nothing screams *easy victory* louder than that. ^^

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

Does anyone actually use mercenaries in the campaign? They seem like a huge waste of credits to me. You get a lot more mileage from regular unit upgrades.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:01 pm »

Yeahh.. Even that I bought all of them, I never actually used them. :/.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31