Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31620 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2010, 07:57:53 am »

Hmm... against vikings/broodlords, a mothership vortex could take out enough temporarily that other stuff could take out the rest. I guess terrans could mass vikings or maybe ghosts? Cloak& snipe might work. Or yamatos. Basically at that point you're in to endgame and if they have more than a few broodlords you should also have more than a few endgame powerhouse units. Or the ability to make a bunch of lower tier units to overwhelm.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:12 am »

Would Fungal Growth be useful? How about Blink Stalkers?

I don't build many Corruptors and don't remember too well how Phoenixes deal with Vikings but those both seem possible counters.

Terran can use Point Defense Drone + Vikings. Although the other Terran can use Point Defense Drone + Vikings... but, such is the mirror match.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:44 am »

Hmm... against vikings/broodlords, a mothership vortex could take out enough temporarily that other stuff could take out the rest. I guess terrans could mass vikings or maybe ghosts? Cloak& snipe might work. Or yamatos. Basically at that point you're in to endgame and if they have more than a few broodlords you should also have more than a few endgame powerhouse units. Or the ability to make a bunch of lower tier units to overwhelm.
vikings are the t1 terran flyer. They can dual starport with reactors to get 4 of them at a time, meaning if you're not scouting and actively stopping them BEFORE this happens, they get enough vikings to oneshot your mothership. It was flippin' scary. As long as those vikings are flying around there are 0 air units that can stop this army, which blows because there is exactly like 2 good ground to air units: stalker(with micro) and thor (but those aren't really that good). I guess the main problem in that match was nobody scouted, meaning the enemy could build whatever they wanted and nobody had a counter for it.
Cloak+snipe might also work...
I don't build many Corruptors and don't remember too well how Phoenixes deal with Vikings but those both seem possible counters.
phoenixes are overall pretty bad at combat imho. the only thing they really counter is hydralisks :/

I wish I had a screen cap of the final moments of the match. There was about 20 broodlords and 20 vikings. The base was FILLED with broodlings. it was awesome

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2010, 08:24:16 am »

Phoenixes are tremendously useful, and powerful. They are not to be underestimated.

Glancing at the numbers, the Viking probably has an edge on the Phoenix, though. Not a huge one, I don't think... but I haven't experienced too many non-lopsided Viking/Phoenix battles to give you a good thought on how it feels. Probably your biggest problem would be outproducing the Vikings -- or at the least, keeping pace.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2010, 08:46:16 am »

Phoenixes can fire while ON THE MOVE, making them pretty darn good. Btw, Motherships Vortex is useless against players with good micro, just move all of your army there, and they will reapper back in a few seconds. ^^

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2010, 09:32:31 am »

Dunno about Starcraft II, but in the original a 0 drone zergling rush was unstoppable if you don't block your base entrance. On 2 player maps, of course.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2010, 01:17:57 pm »

Best thing I can think of vs. broodlord + viking is thors. Not so much because thors have good AA (they have decent AA), but more so because thors deal splash damage to air, and if the numbers are anything which makes you fear them, that splash damage is going to turn out very, very brutal.

On that same tangent, archons and high templars (psi storm) should prove useful too. High temps are actually one of the quickest ways to dispose of a big ball like that, particularly so for the brood lords as those can barely move to begin with.

But if that's no good, simply try to abuse the brood lord's speed. They can't move very fast, so try to keep whoever owns them on the defensive with small drops here and there. If he feels he has to keep his brood lords at home all the time in order to defend, they're not sitting 9 range away from your base, killing everything you've ever made. If he does just move out, kill the heck out of all his stuff, and hope you've destroyed all of his before he destroys all of yours.

As for phoenixes, they're great. Solo they're not anything special, but if you manage to get a good pack of them rolling they can act just as well for harassing as for instance mutalisks. The key of course being their "Graviton Beam" ability, which is mighty handy in an actual fight too, assuming you have the micro to manage it.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

Phoenixes can fire while ON THE MOVE, making them pretty darn good. Btw, Motherships Vortex is useless against players with good micro, just move all of your army there, and they will reapper back in a few seconds. ^^

You could use the sentry's force field to block it off so they can't move their other units in or maybe wall off their units that pop out (and psi storm!). Assuming they don't have massive units or a lot of flying. Or maybe a straight psi storm when they pop out will work just fine.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2010, 05:49:28 pm »

I just had the worst match ever. Terran(me) vs. Protoss(them). 1v1. game starts out with me going MMM, but I notice them building a robotics facility so I change gear to vikings. moved my vikings in too early (they only had one colossi), so they started warping in stalkers. I built tanks.
They continued making colossi (despite seeing I had their counter) and stalkers the entire match, never once did they get in my base. I destroyed every expansion they made, and made 2 of my own they didn't find until the end (they destroyed one of mine earlier though, so they lost 3/3, I lose 1/3).
I'm about to make the final victorious sweep into their base with my amassed army of perfect counters to their army composition (I had been scanner sweeping/scouting them the entire match, I knew every unit they had and knew almost exactly where they were at any given time) EXCEPT just before I mobilize their mother ship moves in.
Cool. I got vikings an missile turrets. Move my vikings in, get void prisoned or whatever the ability is. Ouch. For some reason my tanks can't see the stalkers standing IN MY MISSILE TURRETS SITE so the stalkers clean up my marauders and tanks, my  vikings come out, are able to finish off the mother ship but get destroyed by the stalkers.
What. The. Hell.
My army that was MADE TO BE THE PERFECT COUNTER TO HIS, defeated by a single unit. WHICH I HAD THE COUNTERS TO.

It was impossible for me to lose. Gatdamn SCIENTISTS who devote their lives to Starcraft and researched every possible matchup and could tell you the outcome of every single match within the first five minutes would not even be able to fathom what occurred there.

I had map control, I had superior army composition, I had superior scout information, I had superior base defenses. I was, in every way, his better... but one mothership turned it all around? What the hell. What the gatdamn hell. I think I should just quit video games.

Reality will warp itself so I will lose in every video game...

edit: Just had my best match ever. Terran Players: for 1v1 matches set your votes to scrapyard. IMMEDIATELY lift off your barracks, move it to the middle 'island', fasttech to banshees while you plop a barracks in their base with your spare scv that couldn't fit in the command center. pump marines (while fastteching), destroy with banshees.
it was FUN as opposed to competitive. It was freaking hilarious!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:39:59 pm by Chutney »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:18 am »

*stuff*

Replay or it didn't happen.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:46 am »

Guys, my contacts inside Blizzard have told me what the plot of the second starcraft game will be! Proceed with care, spoilers ahead!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:33 am »

Guys, my contacts inside Blizzard have told me what the plot of the second starcraft game will be! Proceed with care, spoilers ahead!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:54 am »

Actually Hydralisks were, according to the fluff, peace loving vegetarians. Before the zerg twisted them, obviously. I think Ultralisks were as well.
How close u were...

Replay or it didn't happen.
I was so pissed off at the first one I refused to save a replay BUT I have the second one handy if you really want it.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:01 am »

It automatically saves the last like 10 or 20 replays, regardless of whether you saved it or not, I think.

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2010, 10:29:43 am »

No offense, but motherships are so useless, its strange that you lost. ^^. But anyway, void prison? Never heard of it, I think you mean the
Vortex.. And yeah, if yer forces get sucked inside it, just move ALL of your units there, that way, it wont do any damage. :p
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31