Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31678 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

the comercial drew me off the game totaly, I will get it when the price drops though.
I thought it was a cheesy movie comercial.
Then it said starcraft 2.
I was so confused.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2010, 06:00:15 pm »

I haven't actually seen the Starcraft 2 commercial yet. Anybody have a link or something?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:36 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1-c5yXGnE
Note the created by blizzard part is NOT in the commercial.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »

It's got pretty much all of the iconic Starcraft characters, plus some zerg, spliced together in a very movie-trailer-esque fashion. Overall I thought it worked well as a game teaser/movie trailer, but kind of strange for a game commercial. Then again, game commercials are, in general, still a very strange concept to me.

FakeEdit: beat to the punch, figured I'd post anyway  :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »

Note the created by blizzard part is NOT in the commercial.

Like the DC Universe MMO Trailer...  Movies I'd watch, games... that are questionable.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:51 pm »

Blizzard always does the cinematics like movies.

Also, game commercials are not as weird as book commercials :P

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »

Ok so this has really been bugging me, in the canteen is that a hologram of a female orc from WoW dancing in the background?

On the matter of the actual game I found it kind of disappointing, a lot of what I disliked has already been brought up so I'll just point out two new things. Firstly hero units don't have inherent health regeneration. It's not quite as bad as the first since they can be either repaired or healed but still I thought that it was pretty standard to give hero units inherent regeneration so you aren't forced to squirrel them away for fear of having their life slowly drain away until they die on you and make you fail. Secondly and even more annoyingly is the way that units form blobs. I mean how hard is it to program units to form up in some kind of logical fashion. My idea of fun is not fishing through my troops to pull the medic out away from the front lines whilst forcing the damn firebats to actually stand at the front where they're useful. not to mention that having your troops run around like a bunch of school kids on an outing kind of spoils the whole immersion thing. For the zerg I can see it but you'd think the terran and protoss would form up a bit. It gets even worse when one unit needs to walk through a group of other units. Their solution is to simply push their way through helpfully spoiling any semblance of order you managed to create whilst also conveniently pushing them away from where you wanted them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »

Ok so this has really been bugging me, in the canteen is that a hologram of a female orc from WoW dancing in the background?

On the matter of the actual game I found it kind of disappointing, a lot of what I disliked has already been brought up so I'll just point out two new things. Firstly hero units don't have inherent health regeneration. It's not quite as bad as the first since they can be either repaired or healed but still I thought that it was pretty standard to give hero units inherent regeneration so you aren't forced to squirrel them away for fear of having their life slowly drain away until they die on you and make you fail. Secondly and even more annoyingly is the way that units form blobs. I mean how hard is it to program units to form up in some kind of logical fashion. My idea of fun is not fishing through my troops to pull the medic out away from the front lines whilst forcing the damn firebats to actually stand at the front where they're useful. not to mention that having your troops run around like a bunch of school kids on an outing kind of spoils the whole immersion thing. For the zerg I can see it but you'd think the terran and protoss would form up a bit. It gets even worse when one unit needs to walk through a group of other units. Their solution is to simply push their way through helpfully spoiling any semblance of order you managed to create whilst also conveniently pushing them away from where you wanted them.
That's one thing I liked about Warcraft 3, the formations. They actually made sense, melee in front, ranged in back. Even Age of Empires has some decent formations.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

The most annoying is when one unit pushes another into a line of fire. Happened a few times when I was moving siege tanks up to get a good firing position. All of a sudden my medics get hammerd by a spike trap thingie. :(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »

The pathing could use some work, I agree

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:25 pm »

I know there's an elf of some sort (red hologram I think) doing the night elf dance up by where Tosh stands. There might be another one. And yeah, the formations are a bit of a pain, but they can kind of be remedied by sorting units in to groups based on where you want them to be then sending them in order. It's the same way you'd do things in the first Starcraft, but I wish it wasn't the way you had to do it in SC2, too.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

I know there's an elf of some sort (red hologram I think) doing the night elf dance up by where Tosh stands. There might be another one. And yeah, the formations are a bit of a pain, but they can kind of be remedied by sorting units in to groups based on where you want them to be then sending them in order. It's the same way you'd do things in the first Starcraft, but I wish it wasn't the way you had to do it in SC2, too.
I just wish that they wouldn't stop at maximum range and block access to the rest of the troops. You don't always have time to micromanage a mob of troops and vehicles when things get tense, and when some of them stop in a neat semicircle at their maximum range blocking out the firebats and marines it annoys me.

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2010, 03:20:24 am »

Well, the units do what they are told. If you tell them to attack, they attack as soon as they can, you just have to micro a lot.
Besides, dont get all sweaty over campaign, its chillax compared to multiplayer.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2010, 04:59:03 am »

I understand the reason they do that, I just wish there wasn't so much needless micromanagement. Currently they act like a bunch of retarded school children. If I tell a group of soldiers in Dawn of War 1 or 2 to attack a target they move so that they are ALL in range, squeezing past each other if necessary. I have to micro them if I want them in cover, or to use special abilities, but I don't want to(and should't need to) make sure they can all shoot the target I told them to shoot.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:32 am »

Formations are kind of needed to some degree as well. Age of Empires 2 has way better formations, and it came out years ago (I don't know when).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31