Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31691 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »

Not surprised that it would get lots of pirates. If the downside to pirating is no battle net 2.0 to a lot of people that won't seem like a downside...
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2010, 04:53:35 pm »

hey is battle net 2.0 the thing with realID, cause that's bull...
Nom nom nom

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:22 pm »

hey is battle net 2.0 the thing with realID, cause that's bull...
No, it's the entire Battle.net, the realID thing is just a part of it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

(though I may very well pirate it (blizzard can stand the tiny amount of money loss))

One of these torrents has 20,000 peers on it right now.
Number of pirates does not equal number of lost sales.

That's not what he was arguing. The point he's making is that the "tiny amount of money loss" from you isn't all that matters; it's the amount of money lost from you and everyone like you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2010, 05:38:24 pm »

(though I may very well pirate it (blizzard can stand the tiny amount of money loss))

That's not what he was arguing. The point he's making is that the "tiny amount of money loss" from you isn't all that matters; it's the amount of money lost from you and everyone like you.
it is rather tiny compared to the millions of copies they are gonna sell.
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:43 pm »

Yes, so that WAS what he was arguing. He is saying that they are losing money because there are 20,000 people pirating the game from that torrent right now.

I was saying that not every one of those people is a lost sale.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

(ending quote prymid) exactly, if I got the game from a torront and liked it, I'd buy it to be able to use B-net.
Nom nom nom

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »

(ending quote prymid) exactly, if I got the game from a torront and liked it, I'd buy it to be able to use B-net.

I tried guest mode and found that you can only play campaigns. To play vs. AI you must log on to b-net.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44:03 pm »

Not only that, but many of those people had no intention of buying the game anyway. They download it because it is painless to do so and gives them a chance to try it out. I often do this when the company doesn't release a beta because I long ago decided, because of the deluge of crap games, not to buy any PC game without trying it first.

Very often my download will turn into a sale if I like the game, and if I don't like it I simply delete it and move on. In this way I don't waste my money on inferior products and I do spend what money I can on products I enjoy, and it goes to companies who produce quality games.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »

My post was specific to his exact case, kthxbai
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:48 am »

So wait, when you torrent the game you can only play the campaign, and that through guest mode?

That's not too bad. The thing I'm most worried about with all the people pirating would be that things end up like in Warcraft 3: Where every single CD key is leaked onto the interwebs for anyone to grab, making it so that if you go out and actually legitimately buy the game, you're not certain of access to Bnet.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2010, 08:07:42 am »

So wait, when you torrent the game you can only play the campaign, and that through guest mode?

That's not too bad. The thing I'm most worried about with all the people pirating would be that things end up like in Warcraft 3: Where every single CD key is leaked onto the interwebs for anyone to grab, making it so that if you go out and actually legitimately buy the game, you're not certain of access to Bnet.

Well, not if they crack it somehow. When I logon to b-net to play vs AI (practice matches), the whole thing happens in my computer. So hackers only need to fake the login.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:11 am »

You sure about that? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the AI on their servers just to screw the pirates.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:07 am »

You sure about that? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the AI on their servers just to screw the pirates.
Well.. with B.Net emulators...

Though it is pretty cruddy that you have to be logged to play a single-player mode...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:57 am »

Nah, there's a crack out there that allows full skirmish mode.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31