Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31700 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

it has a good single player campaign, and online matches are fun because they put you with players of roughly equivalent skill. We can only hope and pray they stop gimping custom maps.

It's your call on this.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2010, 02:01:07 pm »

So really, should I buy this?

Depends on what you're after. Did you play the first one or do you enjoy RTS's in general?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2010, 02:05:55 pm »

Oh yeah, I enjoy RTS, and I have played the first one. Is this one just like the first? Or is it different enough to actually make the game less "kekekekeke-OHGODZERGRUSH." I guess my main question is, is the game more strategic than the last one?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

I haven't played but I think best idea about strategic play can be found in top players replays with commentary so you know what's going on.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2010, 02:18:36 pm »

Multiplayer progresses a lot faster, so there's a large element of thinking on your feet to react to what they send at you. It's not unmanageable by any stretch, and the terrain of new maps provides for lots of defensive options.  Units seem to be more specialized, so tactical variety is much more entertaining, in my opinion. There are still the little rushbots from time to time, but they're much easier to counter once you get familiar with your chosen race.

I'd also say macromanagement is much more important now, if you can develop your bases well, you have a significant advantage in mid- and endgame.

I'd say the game is almost worth the price for the campaign alone, the 29-30 missions (depending on how you classify them) bear almost no resemblance to the generic base smashing from the original, and customizing your army to suit your play style adds great depth to it.

EDIT: Yeah that's a good idea, watch some commentated replays. My personal favorite is Husky (youtube Huskystarcraft) but Day9's aren't bad either.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »

My personal favorite is Husky (youtube Huskystarcraft) ... .
That's the link I posted  ;D.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »

This is him.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lol! "Jizz, in, my pants."

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2010, 02:25:59 pm »

There are still the little rushbots from time to time, but they're much easier to counter once you get familiar with your chosen race.
Since my main strategy has been early reaper harass, followed by a banshee harass and hope they ragequit/I cripple their economy long enough for me to get real units, I can offer some proactive help here (most terran players also go for an early reaper harass, and they CAN be devastating)
Zerg: Get roaches asap. Roaches destroy reapers no problem. Drones can also get burrow pretty quick, shutting down your economy, but protecting your precious workers.
Protoss: Stalkers are like roaches but better. They also do pretty well against Banshees.
Terran: Marauders... Marauders are the bane of all reaper harasses. Bigger, Tougher, quicker to build. As soon as you get a barracks, drop a techlab and build some marauders. One missile turret near your workers/important buildings will also deter banshees.

btw, in my experience, reaper harass is the only viable rush tactic. Zerg rush doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

Hmm... Can anyone give a reason why I should spend 60 dollars plus tax to acquire this game? It look cool, and I have a friend who had been waiting for it for 12+ years who bought it at midnight when it first came out.

This is him.

Has that guy been waiting for this game since before he was born, or what?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »

Actually, it does, 6 pool and zealot rush/proxying still are very alive, tho I cant really say for sure, being only in 1v1 and 2v2 gold. :P.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »

Hmm... Can anyone give a reason why I should spend 60 dollars plus tax to acquire this game? It look cool, and I have a friend who had been waiting for it for 12+ years who bought it at midnight when it first came out.

This is him.

Has that guy been waiting for this game since before he was born, or what?

Errr no, he's 18.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

It's probably time for him to get a new haircut, then.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2010, 03:31:30 pm »

18!?!?! did his facial hair get blown off with a blowtorch?!?!?  jking jking. 
There's really no way that I'll buy this game until the battle-chest comes out (though I may very well pirate it (blizzard can stand the tiny amount of money loss)) It looks like a great game and I love the first one, but it's not something I'm willing to spend 70$ on, and then another 80$ in  expansions.
Nom nom nom

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2010, 03:35:09 pm »

(though I may very well pirate it (blizzard can stand the tiny amount of money loss))

One of these torrents has 20,000 peers on it right now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:03 pm »

(though I may very well pirate it (blizzard can stand the tiny amount of money loss))

One of these torrents has 20,000 peers on it right now.
Number of pirates does not equal number of lost sales.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31