Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31594 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 11:12:35 am »

Why must there ALWAYS... ALWAYS... ALWAYS have to be some stupid conspiracy or prophecy

Sturgeon's Law

Most writers are bad. Also, personalliy I theorize that the whole "chosen one of the prophecy" thing is so regularly forced into storylines because there's a disproportionately large percentage of writers/producers/etc who are jewish. Hollywood in particular has a lot of jews, and even the writers who aren't like to cater to them, so jewish themed stories and jewish humor works its way into a lot of things where it isn't really a good match. The prophecy thing is probably number one on the list.

Lol... what? Maybe the "chosen one" thing is an extremely common trope, regardless of how jewifiied the particular medium is. It's prevelant in pretty much any kind of storytelling you can imagine, going back through history, and in a wide array of cultures. For example, nearly EVERY japanese anime has the "chosen one" trope. Do you think Japan knows most of its media is "jewish-themed?"

Don't blame bad writing on jewish people. If you really feel the need to blame someone, pick the germans. At least they're responsible for Uwe Boll.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:22 am »

Multiplayer cracks never have really worked for Blizzard's games.
Not true.  There are numeroes battle.net emulators, fully functional, for WoW, WC3, SC, D2, etc etc.
Also, fun fact: Game was cracked 40 minutes after the release.
I mean for the actual Battle.net, I know about private servers and such.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:37 am »

Don't blame bad writing on jewish people. If you really feel the need to blame someone, pick the germans. At least they're responsible for Uwe Boll.

Or you know the Americans for Tommy Wiseau.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:59 pm »

nearly EVERY japanese anime has the "chosen one" trope.

Name three. I'll give you thirty that don't:

Ranma 1/2, Robotech, Lain, Clannad, Lucky Star, Ouran High School Host Club, Kashimashi, Death Note, xxxHolic, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Urusei Yatsura, Ah! My Goddess, Record of the Lodoss War, Madox-01, Bubblegum Crisis, Black Magic-M66, Evangelion, Dragonball, Nuku Nuku, Excel Saga, Aria, Kimagure Orange Road, Nausicaa of the Valley on the Wind, Mononoke Hime, Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Kimi Ni Todoke, DNA^2, Dragon Pink, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Even anime that features prophecies and religious themes like Evangelion don't use the "Chosen One" theme. You have a totally religiously-flavored end of the world scenario, but Shinji was not prophecied to come and save the world, and he didn't. Goku routinely hobnobbed with gods, and he routinley saved the world, but he did it because he chose to not because he was destined to, and there was no prophecy that one day he would come.

I think you're confusing The Chosen One, with protagonist.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

Tommy Wiseau has no nationality. He comes form the same alien planet as Christopher Walken, but the not so cool part of it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 12:49:27 pm »

oh hey guys just posting in a Jewish conspiracy thread. Did you know they control the media?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »

Tommy Wiseau has no nationality. He comes form the same alien planet as Christopher Walken, but the not so cool part of it.
Haha that's awesome.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »

oh hey guys just posting in a Jewish conspiracy thread. Did you know they control the media?

How is it a conspiracy to suggest that jewish writers might incorporate jewish themes into their work? Nobody freaks out when people point out literary christ figures.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »

By the time I get a CPU that can run this, Blizard will probably removed the DRM in a patch, anyway, so it looks good.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 02:03:01 pm »

Name three. I'll give you thirty that don't:

Ranma 1/2, Robotech, Lain, Clannad, Lucky Star, Ouran High School Host Club, Kashimashi, Death Note, xxxHolic, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Urusei Yatsura, Ah! My Goddess, Record of the Lodoss War, Madox-01, Bubblegum Crisis, Black Magic-M66, Evangelion, Dragonball, Nuku Nuku, Excel Saga, Aria, Kimagure Orange Road, Nausicaa of the Valley on the Wind, Mononoke Hime, Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Kimi Ni Todoke, DNA^2, Dragon Pink, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Even anime that features prophecies and religious themes like Evangelion don't use the "Chosen One" theme. You have a totally religiously-flavored end of the world scenario, but Shinji was not prophecied to come and save the world, and he didn't. Goku routinely hobnobbed with gods, and he routinley saved the world, but he did it because he chose to not because he was destined to, and there was no prophecy that one day he would come.

I think you're confusing The Chosen One, with protagonist.

Wow, you listed some anime, good job. I could rattle off a hundred Hollywood films in much the same way... All of which don't feature the chosen one trope, and then claim that you don't understand narrative theory and I'm right. But we both know that would would be disingenuous at best, dont we? ;)

I especially like the way you hold up evangelion (did you get it off the trope page? it's listed as a subversion because it DOES use the chosen one thing, but shinji just plain sucks :P) as an example of something that doesn't have a chosen one thing going, then explain it like it's something we don't allready know. Then you did the same thing with Dragonball Z. I'm gonna have a go:

In tenchi muyo tenchi isn't the chosen one because he is the only person in the multiverse who can create light hawk wi... Oh shit, Guess I'm not as good at this as you. Lemme try another.

In A Certain Magical Index the main character (forget his name now) isn't the chosen one because he is the only one with the wierd power that trumps anything.... Crap. Did it again.

I mean c'mon, did you even read the trope page for this? Theres like 10 examples right there. And that's just in the jewish anime industry, there's plenty of other examples from other mediums and stuff. And that particular trope isnt about being prophesied, though that often goes hand-in-hand with it. It's about the main character being the only person in the universe who can win. Ichigo in bleach for example wasn't prophesied as far as I know, though I haven't watched that in ages, but he IS the chosen one. He can overcome ALL obstacles, he can master hidden powers noone else would dare to touch, he can bankai when ever, where ever, and how ever he chooses, etc. This is something that is innate to his character and often unexplained other than by the fact that he is the protagonist. He's the chosen one... So you gotta decide if it's that particular trope you have a problem with, or the general idea of prophecies in fiction.

If its the idea of prophecies in fiction, I'd love to point you towards the ancient Greek myths as a standout example of prophecies playing a huge part in narratives. Guess they had a whole bunch of jews writing those things? Or were jewish people the target audience?

Oh hey that's three examples (I'm not gonna count Evangelion, because you and TVtropes made that one for me) Go me. :D

[This comment brought to you by the Jew-dominated Japanese animation industry.]

How is it a conspiracy to suggest that jewish writers might incorporate jewish themes into their work? Nobody freaks out when people point out literary christ figures.

That's not what you did, you didn't say "hey a jewish guy wrote this and it's got jewish themes" you said "JEWS RUN THE MEDIA! their messages are everywhere!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 02:03:42 pm »

Except the numerous WoW emulators? I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a Battle.Net emulator out of "necessity". Much like they made that Ubisoft verification server emulator for Assassin's Creed 2.
There're at least 3 battle.net emulators I am aware of.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

you listed some anime, good job

You made a claim:

In this post fenrif said:

I demonstrated that your claim was false. You are incorrect.

I especially like the way you hold up evangelion
it's listed as a subversion

Yes. A subversion of a thing is not that thing. And a subverted trope is not an example of that trope. It's making it look like you're going to do it...and then deliberately not doing it. It's totally leigitimite to give an example of someone not doing something as an example of them not doing it. Which is what I did. Shinji is not "the Chosen One."

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

No, he pretty much was. Remember how only certain people could pilot Evas? And Shinji was one of them? And only Shinji could pilot the best Eva? Because only certain people were attuned to certain Evas and Shinji was chosen to be the pilot of the best one?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2010, 05:08:14 pm »

you listed some anime, good job

You made a claim:

In this post fenrif said:

I demonstrated that your claim was false. You are incorrect.

I especially like the way you hold up evangelion
it's listed as a subversion

Yes. A subversion of a thing is not that thing. And a subverted trope is not an example of that trope. It's making it look like you're going to do it...and then deliberately not doing it. It's totally leigitimite to give an example of someone not doing something as an example of them not doing it. Which is what I did. Shinji is not "the Chosen One."

I'm not incorrect, I was exaggerating. I'm assuming you know this because you chose to focus on one specific point of my post and ignore everything else due to it pointing out how wrong you are.

Also the Evangelion thing, see chutney's post, the tvtropes page you linked, what I said in my previous post, etc.

it's a subversion because while shinji is the prophesied chosen one (along with the other eva pilots) the show treats them horribly precisely because of this. The subversion isn't that they aren't chosen ones (that isnt a subversion, it's just the absence of the trope) it's that the show treats this in a completely contrary way that most other shows do. It's not a good thing for them, it's a huge huge negative aspect of their lives.

It's a testament to how badly edited tvtopes is that Evangelion is listed as subverting the chosen one trope, but the actual evangelion page lists it as playing straight "it sucks to be the chosen one." Which is a seperate trope apparently. I guess the moral of the story is don't use tvtropes as your main source if you don't pay attention to anything it says on there. :P

Anyway, ignoring the anti-semite...

I'm upto mission 4 or 5 so far in Sc2. I'm enjoying the in-between mission bits more than the actual missions so far, but that might be because I'm getting fed up of generic RTS mission structure. It's a shame that the hero units don't get involved much in the actual fighting. I've got a ship full of badasses, and none of them feel like helping out... Even on the missions THEY suggest. ¬_¬

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »

Not true.  There are numeroes battle.net emulators, fully functional, for WoW, WC3, SC, D2, etc etc.
Also, fun fact: Game was cracked 40 minutes after the release.

You do realize that this means more draconian DRM until they find something that works? I wouldn't be surprised if some company eventually forced you to register a fingerprint to play the game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31