Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31605 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2010, 02:02:31 am »

Swann in the Armory of Hyperion is totally a Dwarf. Big beard and sideburns, short and fat, and works with metal and machines all day. Badass.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:04 am »

Just finished it. Story is silly and full of plot holes. Not joking. I spent most of the time listening to the plot shaking my head and going "whaaaaaaaaaaat?". It's enjoyable... but really silly. Also, the last pose Kerrigan strikes at the end is so funny! Totally ruins the mood.

I also noticed because of the freeform nature of the order you can take the missions in, the characters personalities get really weird. It's as if you were supposed to follow a certain path because if you do certain missions before others, you begin to wonder why the characters change so vastly between missions.

There are some other minor gripes. I appreciate that Blizzard attempted to mix up the singleplayer by putting strange stuff in each and every single mission but seriously... a lot of them are ridiculously tedious. Maybe it's just me, but I don't enjoy being shoehorned into one specific strategy according to what the game wants you to do. It doesn't help that most of the time you're stuck on a linear path too. Not exactly fitting the S in the RTS title.

As for multiplayer well... I'm sure everyone here knows everything about Starcraft 2's multiplayer.

Edit: Let me rant on a little bit longer... You know. Why must there ALWAYS... ALWAYS... ALWAYS have to be some stupid conspiracy or prophecy where some previously unknown entity is actually pulling all the strings behind everything. Why do they ALWAYS DO THAT?! Aren't you guys sick of this stupid form of storytelling too? Why can't we ever have a nice... simple war with one distinct evil to kill the whole way through.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 07:57:00 am »

Saw commercials for it on TV thus its probably shit by default so not even gonna be tempted to "Acquire it"

RTSes are only worth it for single player skirmish anyways. At least for me.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:23 am »

Oh, great, another big release stunted to fight piracy. I hope it gets pirated the way Spore did.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 09:27:53 am »

Oh, great, another big release stunted to fight piracy. I hope it gets pirated the way Spore did.
AFAIK there are cracks already. Though I didn't dig into it since I'm not really interested in SC II and piracy is bad.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:19 am »

The current crack bypasses the online check and allows you to play single player without owning the game, but not multiplayer.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:39 am »

Multiplayer cracks never have really worked for Blizzard's games.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:04 am »

I haven't bought it. I may wait until somebody I know gets so frustrated that I haven't that they give me a copy so I can slaughter them again. Pretty much everyone I know played SC1. A lot.

The no lan annoys me slightly, but it won't hinder gameplay much. It's been years since I've been to a lan party, and most of the people I know who like that sort of thing have moved out of state. But ten years ago...yeah, no lan would have been a huge annoyance.

As for campaigns, I don't really care. The game will be mostly about the multiplayer for me. The stories were never that good. And rumor has it they axed Glynnis Campbell as Kerrigan's voice actress, which also annoys me somewhat.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:27 am »

Why must there ALWAYS... ALWAYS... ALWAYS have to be some stupid conspiracy or prophecy

Sturgeon's Law

Most writers are bad. Also, personalliy I theorize that the whole "chosen one of the prophecy" thing is so regularly forced into storylines because there's a disproportionately large percentage of writers/producers/etc who are jewish. Hollywood in particular has a lot of jews, and even the writers who aren't like to cater to them, so jewish themed stories and jewish humor works its way into a lot of things where it isn't really a good match. The prophecy thing is probably number one on the list.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:54 am »

I hate the Chosen One thing, and prophecies in general. They force way too much on to a character. It's really just a poor excuse to give some random guy the power to actually be worth something. Without that prophecy, the guy would be worthless. It's also used to shoehorn some random person into saving the world or whatever needs to be done.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:11 am »

Except the numerous WoW emulators? I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a Battle.Net emulator out of "necessity". Much like they made that Ubisoft verification server emulator for Assassin's Creed 2.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 10:10:27 am »

I hate the Chosen One thing, and prophecies in general. They force way too much on to a character. It's really just a poor excuse to give some random guy the power to actually be worth something. Without that prophecy, the guy would be worthless. It's also used to shoehorn some random person into saving the world or whatever needs to be done.

The world revolves around you.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:19 am »

Blizzard writers are using the fastfood-hollywood story telling, they show simple archetypal characters, no depth in their emotions, every of their "ideas" comes from a copy of another writers novels, movies, they always use the same scheme for their plots, etc...  and mix it together with a few easter eggs with a few entertaining moments provided by some very good CGI and very good voice acting.

After that the gameplay keep the player occupied so he does not notice how uncreative the Blizzard writers are, throwing plots and background they pillaged from various other actually creative writers.

It was like this in every version of warcraft and starcraft, but they're not bad games as fortunately for Blizzard they usually deliver good gameplay.

Too bad Blizzard lost all my trust with their RealID/Facebook plan to make money using the privacy of their customers, i would have certainly been interested in getting starcraft 2 to play skirmishes with the AI like i did in the original Starcraft for a few years, as i'm sure in the end it is a good game with good gameplay.
But i don't buy anything from any company i do not trust anymore.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:29 am »

Not true.  There are numeroes battle.net emulators, fully functional, for WoW, WC3, SC, D2, etc etc.
Also, fun fact: Game was cracked 40 minutes after the release.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 10:57:41 am »

Why must there ALWAYS... ALWAYS... ALWAYS have to be some stupid conspiracy or prophecy

Sturgeon's Law

Most writers are bad. Also, personalliy I theorize that the whole "chosen one of the prophecy" thing is so regularly forced into storylines because there's a disproportionately large percentage of writers/producers/etc who are jewish. Hollywood in particular has a lot of jews, and even the writers who aren't like to cater to them, so jewish themed stories and jewish humor works its way into a lot of things where it isn't really a good match. The prophecy thing is probably number one on the list.

THE JEWS DID IT!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31