Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31570 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:55 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Game costs you 10 more quid.

Each expansion costs 10 quid less.

10 - 10 -10 = -10. You've saved 10 quid.

Normally games cost about 35 quid, starcraft 2 costs 45. If they knock off a tenner for the expansions, then at best you've paid a tenner more than you would've if you bought 3 seperate brand new games. (45 - 10 = 35... the price of most other games). You aren't saving anything unless you're in bizarro world where spending more money somehow leaves you with more than you started with.

Wait, games cost 40-45 on average where i live dude.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

I didn't buy it, but I did spend about 3 hours playing the single player campaign. I don't buy most games for multiplayer, especially the hyper-competitive "It's not a game its a professional sport!" type of multiplayer that the original starcraft inspired.

The game is, honestly, a graphical update to SC1 with some new units and abilities. I saw almost nothing new or interesting the entire time I played, and some things which were very silly and tedious. The first mission where I had to 'hold out against the zerg!' was laughable, even on hard. I trivialized every attack, and at no point felt even remotely threatened. I even raided the zerg bases and wiped them out, aside from the units which magically spawned for attacks.

A rather annoying mission involved mining minerals on a planet where certain areas regularly were flooded with lava, so you had to keep moving your base buildings (which can fly) back and forth. This isn't fun. It is tedious and boring.

Unimpressed, and glad I did not shell out the $60 for this garbage.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 07:17:46 pm »

from my experience from the beta galaxy editor, the modding capabilities increase 2xfold over wc3. i was able to edit EVERYTHING. units, models, u name it. blizzard gave the gamers the ability to mod the game in the maps. yes tower defense games and dota maps already exist plus the scripting changed a lot too, example one modder online was able to simulate old style final fantasy battle system into sc2 heres the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjuf7DELz9s this shows how the eidtor kicks ass.
The only thing I'm seeing in that video that wasn't possible in WC3 was that particular style of menu. WC3 still had menus though. WC3 did include the ability to have custom models too by the way. I bet that the polycount limit is increased though...
how about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6U4SI0O6A&feature=related
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWM321VovM&feature=fvw
maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZt7oSGdq6A&feature=related ?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeFqPofHlIc&feature=related apparently the wc3 fpses are better so nvm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:23:14 pm by Chutney »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »

The only thing better that I can see is the fact that you can change the UI. Perhaps the camera as well, but I don't really know, I'd have to have a better comparison. Still, UI mods are pretty nice.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:31 pm »

Hmm, I might get it later, I was hoping for LAN though.. It's a real shame. And here in Australia it's like $100-$110 for a new game. Hell I've seen games a couple of years old selling for $80-$90. I'd buy digitally, like from steam but I just don't have the download allowance to do that and I'm on a shared connection with brother who plays WoW.. If I download ANYTHING that lags him, it's a shitstorm.

I'll let my friends buy it and ask them how it is probably.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »

My lil brother bought it but it refuses to install. Shitty game, SHITTY GAME I HATE THIS GAME

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 09:52:47 pm »

Those saying they may buy it for the editor: what is the licensing like for that? If you create a game with their editor, do you even own it? can you charge for it?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »

Those saying they may buy it for the editor: what is the licensing like for that? If you create a game with their editor, do you even own it? can you charge for it?
Charge for it: No way. It's impossible anyway, due to the way the map downloading works. Anybody who doesn't have the map just downloads it when they join, so the only way to do that is to autokick anybody that doesn't have it, but third party programs aren't allowed. That or you could have a private server, but those are illegal to charge for, and against the ToS in the first place.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

I'm planning to buy it. I like that Blizzard's games can be enjoyed casually or competitively, and that they tend to age very well. I've gotten a lot of value out of BW and WC3. Also many hours of enjoyment just being a spectator of the Korean Professional BW leagues.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:42 pm »

Charge for it: No way. It's impossible anyway, due to the way the map downloading works. Anybody who doesn't have the map just downloads it when they join, so the only way to do that is to autokick anybody that doesn't have it, but third party programs aren't allowed. That or you could have a private server, but those are illegal to charge for, and against the ToS in the first place.
now this is where it gets funny, blizzard has stated that they will build a database of maps for ppl to download. they separated maps into 2 categories, free maps and of course 'premium maps'. they will charge the premium maps up to 2 dollars i think. now usually what defines a premium map is custom maps or a modified map. this has two advantages:blizzard can make money but provide players secured downloads, authors of premium maps make money for their hard work. now i don't know the complete story like what if's and such, expect blizzard to explain more later.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »

now this is where it gets funny, blizzard has stated that they will build a database of maps for ppl to download. they separated maps into 2 categories, free maps and of course 'premium maps'. they will charge the premium maps up to 2 dollars i think. now usually what defines a premium map is custom maps or a modified map. this has two advantages:blizzard can make money but provide players secured downloads, authors of premium maps make money for their hard work. now i don't know the complete story like what if's and such, expect blizzard to explain more later.
Yeah, so far the only premium map is DotA, which is good because it will make the community slightly better by removing some of the less mature (it's interesting really, even a $1 charge for something makes the community of it so much better), and it will be possible to filter out the million people hosting it.

But charge for a map on your own? No way. Blizzard wants to cash in on this.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:39 pm »

Eh, I got it.

As far as people who are afraid of the "uber-players" online...

I'm terrible at StarCraft when it comes to online multiplayer, but the skill-level league-based multiplayer system has only paired me with people of about the same skill, which makes it alot more fun for me than trying to play the original online...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:54 am »

What about the awesomeness of a Mothership? or... an overlord spawning creep + a nydus worm and a bunch of stuff coming out of it?

It feels a bit weird that Zerg doesn't have an ultimate thing. I guess technically they could mind control an SCV a build ghosts/nukes of their own, but that's just not the same.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:24 am »

So far single player campaign is fun. Played the first few missions on normal mode, easy but fun! The in between missions "interact with buddies in between missions" thing is still kinda dumb imho but it's better than Dawn of Wars meta-elements by a long shot. I'm thrilled that units will let allied units pass them, but I'm not thrilled that my medics like to march in the front lines... if only it had some kinda formation button like Age of Kings :(
Firebats are... flippin' strong. I think they were special ones for that specific mission but THEY WERE STRONG! ahhh.

Zerg feel much zergier, like in the mission I actually feel like they're invading the planet - something missing from starcraft.

Overall, enjoying it. Will delve into multiplayer+custom maps+skirmishes later today

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:41 am »

Sorry I'm late, hadn't thought to check this before it got to 6 pages. For starters, Laz's complaints were somewhat justified, but after following his whiny tirades on an SC2 map making site in beta, it relly sounds to me like he's bitter about having to work a bit to be seen these days, instead of the vast majority of players pointing at him and drooling because "MEDIAN XL OMG."  :|

... Anyway.

Yeah, if you don't like RTS's, you won't like this game. If you don't like Blizzard, you won't like this game. If you're still legitimately curious, this is what I can tell so far:

No LAN.
No public chatrooms (yet, depending on whatever system they try to use instead)
You have to login to b.net to play single player. Yep.
Generic RealID rage.
They didn't do anything stupid like rewriting the core of a game that's been ridiculously popular for more than a decade. If you're really shocked, I don't know what to say about it, you can't please everyone all the time. I'm not saying this is inherently good or bad... but of course they're going to try to stick to a formula that's had 12 years of success....
Custom games aren't filtered by game name anymore. Yes, this causes some problems with game settings. Yes, this can also be fixed easily in-game with little fuss.

All of those are generic hassle that exist outside the actual gameplay. Now the positive list in my opinion... most of which DOES concern gameplay.

Matchmaking system seemed pretty reliable. I'm fine playing in lower leagues because I'm not deluded enough to think that e-sport means I'm some kind of athlete.
Balance is pretty good, there's no kill-all unit or strategy. If units can't take it out, it's because you were too slow with scouting and let them outmacro you.
And... macro is greater than micro now. People will stomp and bluster about APM, but if you can manage your economy and intelligence better than them, you will still win because you made your actions count instead of spam clicking your workers for the opening.
Dismissing the entire mechanic overhaul as a graphics upgrade is superficial and shortsighted. New Movement mechanics like glide/cliffwalking, movement mode alterations on the fly, attachable turrets and fire while move fundamentally change the game.

As for the map editor... those example vids were terrible. Are there improvements over WC3? Definitely. Do mapmakers have a full grasp of it yet? no. Will there be DotA? yes. Will it come out in fully polished form tomorrow? no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvZlonNTDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6eMCBOhQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIkPcMbR5HE

And there's the option to save encrypted data locally... so... RPG maps can now be made as part of a series and characters loaded in from outside. So... openRPG projects and the like.

The game isn't flawless. If you liked the first one, there's more goodness here slightly refined. From a money standpoint, $60 is about what you'd pay to see 4 movies. If you spend more than 4 movies' worth of time playing SC2, then it would be a good investment. Your mileage may vary.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31