Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31535 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »

I'll be getting SC2 eventually, as Blizzard's never made an RTS I didn't like.
I don't get how people can actually like having to micro every single unit.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

Because that definitely hasn't been nearly omnipresent in RTS games until Dawn of War (I understand there may have been a few games before it but you didn't really see it until then). I guess if you're not really a fan of RTS games it could be annoying, but if you enjoyed them at all pre-2004 it shouldn't be an issue. Besides, you don't HAVE to micro them. I usually just clump them all up and attack-move into my enemies base, moving things that look like they're taking a lot of hits to the back lines for a few seconds.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »

I don't get how people havn't figured that the winrar that is custom maps for Blizzard RTS products is also a marketing force of 'buy it'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

I don't get how people havn't figured that the winrar that is custom maps for Blizzard RTS products is also a marketing force of 'buy it'.

Why? Thats the only thing that everyone in the thread has agreed on so far.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 05:22:33 pm »

Microing has been regarded as absolutely necessary both in Starcraft and WC3 if you want to be good at it. I play a wide range of games, and I don't really want to devote time to learning to micro better for a single genre of games that I don't even play much. I'd rather just go play the custom maps, which was the only real reason I even bothered to get TFT, or play something else entirely.

And yes, I do realize that custom maps are a huge marketing force, I've only mentioned it (or at least something similar) several times now.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »

To be honest, having to micro is advanced stuff in Starcraft 2. In starcraft 1 it was sometimes necessary because of bad pathing/glitches (dragoons and zergling-tight wall-offs come to mind), but the pathing is improved enough that you can simply a-move if that's all you desire.

Although if you just genuinely don't like RTSes then no, you're not going to like Starcraft. :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:37 pm »

Is the balance between the factions as spot-on as in the first game?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 05:33:28 pm »

I'm... well, honestly not very good at micro. It's definitely not required to play through the campaign, play with friends, or play most custom "use map settings" type games. Luckily, those are the three main parts of the game that appeal to me. Also, if you want to try to get better with your micro, apparently they actually included bonus training missions to learn more advanced hotkey/micro kinds of things. I actually found that kind of surprising, although I guess we'll see how well they're made and how useful they are.

@Shonus It seems so. They spent the entire beta balancing factions and I think the general consensus is that the balance is quite good.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »

Pretty much, I think. Blizzard did some statistics during the beta and it was very precisely 30/30/30/10% of wins.

Although, of course, there are always people complaining about imbalances. I believe in the last meta, everyone was complaining about how hard it was to be a zerg, especially against a mechin terran. Most of those people are simply people not willing to alter their strategy to accommodate other tactics than the one they've always played against. Or they're simply horrible players.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2010, 05:35:06 pm »

That's a relief. SC was one of the very few RTS games that had very different factions but had them properly balanced.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »

Pretty much, I think. Blizzard did some statistics during the beta and it was very precisely 30/30/30/10% of wins.
What's the 10%? Randoms?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 05:39:28 pm »

What's the 10%? Randoms?

Yup.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 05:42:26 pm »

I've always liked the balance of Starcraft's races. Except for awesomeness balance. Nothing beats the awesomeness of a nuke.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »

from my experience from the beta galaxy editor, the modding capabilities increase 2xfold over wc3. i was able to edit EVERYTHING. units, models, u name it. blizzard gave the gamers the ability to mod the game in the maps. yes tower defense games and dota maps already exist plus the scripting changed a lot too, example one modder online was able to simulate old style final fantasy battle system into sc2 heres the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjuf7DELz9s this shows how the eidtor kicks ass.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2010, 07:01:38 pm »

from my experience from the beta galaxy editor, the modding capabilities increase 2xfold over wc3. i was able to edit EVERYTHING. units, models, u name it. blizzard gave the gamers the ability to mod the game in the maps. yes tower defense games and dota maps already exist plus the scripting changed a lot too, example one modder online was able to simulate old style final fantasy battle system into sc2 heres the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjuf7DELz9s this shows how the eidtor kicks ass.
The only thing I'm seeing in that video that wasn't possible in WC3 was that particular style of menu. WC3 still had menus though. WC3 did include the ability to have custom models too by the way. I bet that the polycount limit is increased though...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31