Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31544 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 02:25:58 pm »

Diablo 2 modmaker. Median XL is currently the most popular Diablo 2 mod, it's pretty fun. Changes the game entirely. Not sure if he also does warcraft/starcraft maps, though.

Also, I guess my household will be acquiring this later tonight so I'll give a review of "Wings of Liberty" later this week. I'm most interested in how the game plays between campaign missions, with the singleplayer "meta-elements" and the "explore the ship, talk to dudes" thing. I've been very wary about it since they first announced that's what would happen, so I hope they do it pretty well.

edit: can someone post where Brother Laz voices his concerns? I'm looking around what is apparently his site but not finding anything except voicing dissapoint, no specific critiques
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:29:16 pm by Chutney »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:21 pm »

This what you're talking about Chutney?

http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

The first post there.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 02:36:27 pm »

I'm definitely getting it. I was in the beta and it's a cool game. Buying it for a mix between the multiplayer, singleplayer and custom maps.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 02:40:36 pm »

This what you're talking about Chutney?

http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

The first post there.

yea... he doesn't give much reasons... very helpful  :-\
I guess I'll be seeing why he's so disappointed for myself, soon

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 03:35:18 pm »

-snip-

You said that 'most new games' are 35 quid. There is a difference between 'new game' and 'eagerly anticipated new game' in terms of marketability.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the whole business picture before you assume that consumers are getting ripped off here. Also, I'm curious as to how gaming stores are lowering the price 'to avoid pissing off their customers'. What articles are saying this? The only way that would happen is if nobody was buying the game because it was too expensive, and since it was released today, it's too soon to lower the prices to meet lower demand.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »

You said that 'most new games' are 35 quid. There is a difference between 'new game' and 'eagerly anticipated new game' in terms of marketability.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the whole business picture before you assume that consumers are getting ripped off here. Also, I'm curious as to how gaming stores are lowering the price 'to avoid pissing off their customers'. What articles are saying this? The only way that would happen is if nobody was buying the game because it was too expensive, and since it was released today, it's too soon to lower the prices to meet lower demand.

It seems to just be an activision thing. Yeah I'm aware they could charge 100 quid and some people would pay it, but tacking on an extra tenner for no reason other than that they can tends to piss people off. Especially when the 35 quid price has been common place for said eagerly anticipated new games for a long time now.

Destructoid article

Starcraft 2's recommended retail price in the UK is £44.99, which is more than PC games usually cost. Fortunately, there are many retailers who aren't massive twats, so they've shaved ten quid off the asking price anyway.

That doesn't change the fact that Activision is being incredibly slimy with its continued UK price gouging.

CVG article

The move is likely to have irked retailers - who have to slash prices in order to stay competitive. UK outlets said that last year's Modern Warfare 2 price risked leaving consumers feeling "conned".

Obviously since the only way this could possibly happen is if there is no demand, we can logically assume that no one in the UK wants starcraft 2?

You still haven't explained how they save me a tenner by raising the price. :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:02 pm »

I don't know where you've been, but I haven't seen a highly anticipated game for under the 10+What We Used To Pay price in at least two years.
Shoes...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 04:18:33 pm »

To be honest i've not bought a PC game from a shop in ages, but i'm assuming since the story is getting picked up all over the place that it was an issue.

Though doing a quick check on some retailers websites shows that most PC releases are at around 30-35 quid.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 04:24:02 pm »

I'm not getting SC2 until I find out how good the mapmaking is. If it's better than WC3, then yes. Only after a while though, maybe after they lower the price a bit. I hate microing in RTS games though, APM is not a measure of how good of a gamer you are. Reaction time? Sure. Never APM.

Also, the $60 price is too much, I agree, but I don't think the expansions are going to be full price. I'm thinking they'll be somewhere around the $30 range. It's just more singleplayer campaigns. Besides, they're going to release a Battle Chest eventually, and that always goes for cheaper than the combined prices.

You know what's funny though? I never got the SC expansion, but I have it now. I registered my original SC game with Blizzard, and they have it in as "Starcraft Anthology". Brood War never had a separate CD key, so they have to give it to you when you register your original one.

This is a tangent, that is only slightly related to SC2. But it is related to Blizzard in general.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »

I won't get it for the same reason.
Twitch gameplay really shouldn't be in strategy games.

I prefer slower paced RTS or TBS.
This. Though I do have good reflexes I'd rather use them in action game. If I want strategy I don't want to order around every-god-damn-single peon (aka micro, its just stupid). When it comes to RTS's SC Forged Alliance beats all IMO. Such a shame that in sequel they watered down every single aspect that made it interesting and unique. Still no RTS beats good TBS in my book.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »

Yeah... unfortunately I feel like years ago some major video game distribution companies got confused with how currency conversion works and a lot of countries got the bad end of that stick. I haven't bought a brand spanking new PC game for a while, but SC2's going for $60 (US), which is about £39. Amazon's currently showing they cut the price (to £35ish) which is nice (and actually less than the US price...), but it sucks that it's necessary. I would NOT be paying $70 (the rough equivalent of £45) for it if Activision had decided to make that price hike here too, and I am SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED. I also unfortunately have to work for my money. Also interesting to note is that SC2 was apparently going for $70 Canadian on Amazon before they cut the price to $60 (the Canadian and US dollars are roughly equivalent), so it's not JUST a UK thing.

Edit: oh yeah forgot to mention that $60 is pretty common now for a new, relatively highly anticipated game. Also, I'm jealous that the price cuts happening because Activision set the price too high are actually dropping the price below what the US is paying. :(

Oh and as a reply to Crown:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:36:06 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:28 pm »

This is a tangent, that is only slightly related to SC2. But it is related to Blizzard in general.
Warcraft in Space already happened... it's called The Burning Crusade. I'd be interested in a new IP. or something to do with Lost Vikings. I think Lost Vikings using the WoW engine (not an MMO) could be interesting....3d platform puzzle teamworkin'!!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »

The Burning Crusade wasn't in space though. That was the orc's homeworld. It doesn't really count. I'm talking about actually going to other worlds. You have to remember that the Burning Legion spans the entire universe. The guy in charge of all of the Legion is a titan. He's basically a god in Warcraft.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm well aware it isn't just the UK getting screwed in this pricing stuff. Australia's been getting the bad end of that stick for a long time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:58 pm »

I'll be getting SC2 eventually, as Blizzard's never made an RTS I didn't like.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31