Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31467 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starcraft II
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

Did you buy it? Lots of mixed opinions abound so I wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

Personally I doubt my reflexes are sharp enough for this game these days as the pace seems frantic.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:53:24 am »

Did you buy it? Lots of mixed opinions abound so I wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

Personally I doubt my reflexes are sharp enough for this game these days as the pace seems frantic.

I won't get it for the same reason.
Twitch gameplay really shouldn't be in strategy games.

I prefer slower paced RTS or TBS.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:30 am »

I got Warcraft III for its map editor.
I don't regret that purchase one bit.

I was hoping Starcraft II was going to be the spiritual successor to WCIII's editor.
Can anybody comment on its extensibility?  Is it as multipurpose as WorldEdit?  ...Is there going to be a StarDoTA?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:46 am »

I got a good deal on it, so I bought it.
Game is fair enough, I'm not really much into RTS games usually so I'm probably  not the best judge. Characters and cutscenes are awesome so far though.

One thing I noticed, a couple of missions in you get access to an Armoury. First time you enter it, the camera pans over the scene lingering for a short moment on the Armoury sign stating that the armoury is located in "Bay 12". The quartermaster kind of reminds me of a dwarf, too.

Coincidence, or a small tribute?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:23 am »

I'm one of those silly boycotters.

Except unlike all the other silly boycotters, I haven't bought it.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:13 am »

I got a good deal on it, so I bought it.
Game is fair enough, I'm not really much into RTS games usually so I'm probably  not the best judge. Characters and cutscenes are awesome so far though.

One thing I noticed, a couple of missions in you get access to an Armoury. First time you enter it, the camera pans over the scene lingering for a short moment on the Armoury sign stating that the armoury is located in "Bay 12". The quartermaster kind of reminds me of a dwarf, too.

Coincidence, or a small tribute?
Tribute they already have a tribute in WoW here.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:01 am »

What boycott?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:34:39 am »

Is it me or is was game dated before it even came out? I think it does nothing to follow the evolution of the rts genre in the past years.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:31 am »

Can someone buy this for me?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:07 am »

Is there LAN multiplayer? I read they were axing it, and that's a deal-breaker for me.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:36 am »

I'm waiting to hear how the mapping and modding works out, since i mainly played starcraft and warcraft 3 for the user created maps, and nearly always for the ones that weren't traditional RTS style. Tower defence, RPG, etc. Traditional RTS gameplay with random strangers isn't really fun for me.

But yeah, really not too excited about the game itself. The idea of paying for a 3rd of the story at a time pisses me off. I wanna just play through it and be finished, not have to wait another year for part 1.2 and then another year for 1.3.

Is there LAN multiplayer? I read they were axing it, and that's a deal-breaker for me.

No, gamers don't want LAN. (or so Blizzard say)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:18 am »

OK, I'm definitely not buying this then.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:16 am »

I'm waiting to hear how the mapping and modding works out, since i mainly played starcraft and warcraft 3 for the user created maps, and nearly always for the ones that weren't traditional RTS style. Tower defence, RPG, etc. Traditional RTS gameplay with random strangers isn't really fun for me.

But yeah, really not too excited about the game itself. The idea of paying for a 3rd of the story at a time pisses me off. I wanna just play through it and be finished, not have to wait another year for part 1.2 and then another year for 1.3.

No, gamers don't want LAN. (or so Blizzard say)

How hard is it to implement LAN if you can set up internet gaming support?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:03 am »

I've thoroughly enjoyed Blizzard's RTS games in the past...  They used to be the king of the hill.  And I have absolutely nothing against that style of gameplay.

But it's been so long since the first StarCraft came out...  I've played lots of really good RTS titles since then.  And I've got absolutely no attachment to the storyline at this point.

I'm sure I'll wind up buying it eventually, but I'll probably wait 'til the Battle Chest eventually comes out.

Especially since this first release is going to focus on the Terrans, and there are two planned expansions that will focus on the Zerg and Protoss.  I'll wait until I can buy all three for the same price as just the one right now.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:08:08 am »

Bad things - No Lan, priced at 60$, one campain where the others are supposed to be sold separately

Good things - The mapeditor is supposedly able to do alot more than the wc3 one.

conclusion - wait for the price to fall and some good UMS maps has been produced and then, maybe, buy the game.
damn moneygrubbing activision/kotik...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31