Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31476 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #405 on: January 28, 2011, 08:03:26 am »

If anyone who plays this wants to try out a melee map I made, it's called Braxis Boxcars. It's a conversion of the old Starcraft Boxers map, with a bit of touching up and modification.

I haven't tried it myself with another player, but you never know.

I'd love to try out the map. Preferably with you, I don't currently have any battle.net friends that I can just ask to play this with. Most of them are too busy with ladder to bugger around with me. If you want, you can pm me your character code and name. Otherwise I'll pm you mine the next time I log in to the game (I can't ever remember my code).

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:09 am »

Spoiler: big (click to show/hide)

Well that's hardly a fair comparison, now is it? I mean, chat channels was added with a recent patch. :P

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

Spoiler: big (click to show/hide)

Well that's hardly a fair comparison, now is it? I mean, chat channels was added with a recent patch. :P
Also, compare that to the first Battle.net. Oh, but it's obviously inferior because it doesn't have Facebook integration ::)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »

I thought I'd bump this to ask a question.

So I've become something of a 2nd hand fan of Starcraft. I never played and was never interested in playing since forever, but then I started watch the "When Cheese Fails" series, and then all the other series by the LagTV guys, and now I just love watching the game being played.

So I thought I'd check into the Battle.net thing, and was made immediately suspicious of the free2play advertisement. Making an account, I was made clear that I'd be playing a demo of the game or somesuch, and that I would be given the option to buy the full game.

Nowhere on the entire site can I found how much it costs for the full game, and frankly I don't even want to waste my time if it turns out the game is still in the 50 dollar range.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »

Starcraft II: WoL costs around $60 last I checked. I got it during a holiday sale for half off. In the first game there was a 'spawn' mode where you could have friends play multiplayer games with you even if they didn't have the game, they could download something and only connect to your games. I don't think this game has that. There is a limited demo available where you can only play vs. other demo people or invites from players who purchased the game, and only as Terran.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:05 pm »

$49.40 american dollars according to Amazon for SCII: Wings of Liberty currently. theres also 'used' copies for about 10 bucks less.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 08, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »

Ouch, that's a punch to the walllet. I guess I can contain my burgeoning desire for OP mules.

For the moment.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »

$49.40 american dollars according to Amazon for SCII: Wings of Liberty currently. theres also 'used' copies for about 10 bucks less.
don't be stupid and buy any used blizzard games

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2012, 12:04:43 am »

Thats what the singlequotes were for. Cheaper, yes. Worth anything, most likely not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 23, 2012, 12:00:02 am »

Price isn't going down any time soon. It's arguably worth the price when compared to other games of similar cash value. If you don't want to risk it, you could always try-before-buy, but you'd miss the multiplayer, which is the selling point.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:07 am »

If this is even still an issue, only buy it if you're primarily interested in ladder play. Nothing else would be worth the money, custom maps are mostly poorly done me-toos and the campaign's only great once or twice. Doesn't leave much else worth paying for, really.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:16 am »

I think that's rather unfair about the custom maps. There's been some great ones so far. Nexus Wars is quite fun, and at this hour thats the only one I can remember by name.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:40 am »

Yea, but they can hardly relate to Warcraft 3's custom maps. Maybe time will fix it, but...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:10 am »

I think that's rather unfair about the custom maps. There's been some great ones so far. Nexus Wars is quite fun, and at this hour thats the only one I can remember by name.

It's totally valid. Not so much because the map makers suck, but because Battle.net 2.0 is horrible.

If you like playing tower defenses or bad MOBAs, then you might enjoy custom games.

Edit: Current customs on page 1. Three MOBAs (Hero Attack/SotIS/Star Battle), three cat & mouses (Probes vs Zealots,  MineralZ, Island Defense) two madnesses (Marine Arena, Bunker Wars), Phantom, Runling, 1v1Obs, Roleplay, and Special Forces. 1v1Obs is... well, 1v1ing with observers -- fun, but not far removed from ladder unforunately. Roleplay is... let me just suggest to you that you don't RP on Battle.net. Just don't. Okay? Okay. Special Forces is also a map that borders on mindnumbingly retarded.

At best, there's 8 types of games there. I'd personally discount 3 of those, leaving you with 5, but you could also argue that there's 8. Maybe you could go to page two and find some games there. Maybe 3? It's hard to get people to play on page 2. Now you're up to about 11. You could play tower defenses, but A: tower defenses are shit. B: tower defenses are largely identical. So you're up to 12. There's a few tug of war style maps that could get you up to 13.

I'll be generous and say there's about 20 different maps that you can play on Battle.net 2.0. And that's a pathetically small number, compared to BW/WC3.

If you like to 1v1 ladder (or 2v2/3v3s, those work too) then you can enjoy SC2. If you really like tower defenses... see a doctor, but maybe you could enjoy SC2 too. If you like MOBAs, go play DotA or LoL.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:17:22 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:22 am »

All the good mapmakers probably ended up getting driven away by Blizzard's retarded terms of service regarding, well, mapmaking. Since you're not even allowed to put "God" or "suicide" or even "Blizzard" in triggers, unit names, or just about anything else, the Galaxy Editor both unlocks more potential in the game and simultaneously stifles it beyond belief. I used to do some mapping myself, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle if Blizzard was pretty much going to say "if this map is popular we'll take it over without any compensation toward the person who got it to that point," due to them not wanting another DotA runaway on their hands that they couldn't control. Throwing legalese at mapmakers as well, alienating the people who made Starcraft/Warcraft 3's custom games such a huge success? Awesome. Plus, 10 maps and 50 megabytes since they're stored exclusively on Blizzard servers, and someone from another region can decide to grab your map and not credit you on said region? Bullshit.

Along side the fact that a good portion of mapmakers for non-DotA/TD/C&M maps were from other countries, ending in them region locked. My clan leader in Warcraft 3 was from Australia, so there was no chance of playing with him again. "Stopping piracy" and "making sure people have the best possible connection for their region" is such bullshit.

The variety and complexity of maps has taken a severe turn for the worse. I don't expect to see a Heroes and Empires, or a Genesis of Empires (1 or 2), or anything that requires much more thought beyond controlling a single unit as being popular for the coddled kids of Battle.net 2.0. Guess that's why I've started up Starcraft 2 maybe a total of 9 times. Blizzard used to be one of my favorite companies, if only because Battle.net 1.0 set the gold standard for what an online service should be, with great games to back it up and now they've become so content in their ability to be widespread that they end up making the new version like a damned Xbox Live menu.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31