Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31463 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:04 pm »

Yo, I don't love them unconditionally. I'm just saying things don't make sense and things should make sense.

Btw, Each campaign doesn't effect multiplayer? They've stated this, again, in the FAQ I linked. Each expansion will be independent of multiplayer.  To get the full multiplayer experience you buy ONLY one campaign. Bam, you've got the main draw of the game. For the price of...one game! If you want the expansions, which in this case add to the single player experience, you pay more. The difference between the FAQ and the RealID fiasco is that one is them telling us about the game, and the other is them telling us what we think. Obviously one isn't to be trusted, and people have been doing things like this for years, but if they decided to completely go against what they've said about the game the backlash would be dire.

"Oh hey guys! Sorry about randomly charging 10 quid more for SC2, but the expansions will cost 10 quid less, aren't we awesome?"
net gain of 10 quid.

and yea, I'm not even excited about this game. I'm probably not going to buy it/even play it. It's just some people are pulling things out of their ass and not making any sense, so I'm all /rational and /providing sources. I still think it's weird that you'd buy an RTS for it's story though.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:13:06 pm by Chutney »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »

...Is there going to be a StarDoTA?

It doesn't matter how powerful the mapping system is. DoTA will be made. DoTA is just an excellently built clone of the AoS maps which date back to Starcraft 1 anyway.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:31 pm »

Yo, I don't love them unconditionally. I'm just saying things don't make sense and things should make sense.

Btw, Each campaign doesn't effect multiplayer? They've stated this, again, in the FAQ I linked. Each expansion will be independent of multiplayer.  To get the full multiplayer experience you buy ONLY one campaign. Bam, you've got the main draw of the game. For the price of...one game! If you want the expansions, which in this case add to the single player experience, you pay more. The difference between the FAQ and the RealID fiasco is that one is them telling us about the game, and the other is them telling us what we think. Obviously one isn't to be trusted, and people have been doing things like this for years, but if they decided to completely go against what they've said about the game the backlash would be dire.

"Oh hey guys! Sorry about randomly charging 10 quid more for SC2, but the expansions will cost 10 quid less, aren't we awesome?"
net gain of 10 quid.

and yea, I'm not even excited about this game. I'm probably not going to buy it/even play it. It's just some people are pulling things out of their ass and not making any sense, so I'm all /rational and /providing sources. I still think it's weird that you'd buy an RTS for it's story though.

Yeah fuck story, story is for nerds! So are video games! I'm the strange one when you're posting on the video games section of a forum about a video game and you don't play them? Bloody hell... Please explain "net gain of 10 quid" I assume you mean that blizzard is gaining 10 quid, which is pretty much just repeating what I said?

Each new single player campaign will come with upgrades and changes to the multiplayer.

If you think theres a difference between the official FAQ for a game, and a press release from the same company then you are definatly the strange one. Posting the official FAQ isn't "/providing /sources (plural?) /and /being /rational" it's just linking to the marketing department. Everything is going to be spun in the most positive light possible.

If all you're concerned about is things making sense and how they should make sense and how they werent making sense before you got involved, then why do you feel the need to tell me how i should play games, or argue my opinion with me? IT MAKESE NO SENSE! :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:02 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Game costs you 10 more quid.

Each expansion costs 10 quid less.

10 - 10 -10 = -10. You've saved 10 quid.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 12:48:04 pm »

Yeah fuck story, story is for nerds! So are video games! I'm the strange one when you're posting on the video games section of a forum about a video game and you don't play them?
No, I didn't say fuck story. Or story is for nerds. If you're looking for story, why even buy games that are traditionally devoid of meaningful or thoughtful plot? And also why hate on the game of that genre that is pushing to have the best possible story a game of it's genre could have?
Bloody hell... Please explain "net gain of 10 quid" I assume you mean that blizzard is gaining 10 quid, which is pretty much just repeating what I said?
Okay. If the normal price is 50, and the expansions are going to cost 50 each...but in the UK, the game costs 60, but the expansions are 40 each...
one way costs 150...the other costs 140...
edit: grakelin beat me to it... Guess he didn't need to use a calculator like I did  :P
Each new single player campaign will come with upgrades and changes to the multiplayer.
Oops, you're right. I misread. So if you want to roll with the new meta, you have to buy the other games. otherwise, you can stick to whichever ones you specifically want. Also, this supports my point that each campaign is worth it, as they're adding even more than just campaign missions.
If you think theres a difference between the official FAQ for a game, and a press release from the same company then you are definatly the strange one. Posting the official FAQ isn't "/providing /sources (plural?) /and /being /rational" it's just linking to the marketing department. Everything is going to be spun in the most positive light possible.
The only press release you linked that mattered (I don't care about prices in UK, even though they're getting the trilogy for 10 dollars less than me!!)was that last one about the multiplayer. And it supports the FAQ.
If all you're concerned about is things making sense and how they should make sense and how they werent making sense before you got involved, then why do you feel the need to tell me how i should play games, or argue my opinion with me? IT MAKESE NO SENSE! :P
I was merely making an observation on how you like to buy games with an emphasis on multiplayer/skirmish playing, play them for their subpar story, and then put them back on the shelf to collect money. The only problem I have with your opinion is you seem to already have an unconditional hate for this game, and I'm probably not going to change your mind but I would just like a little bit of open-mindedness and giving this the serious thought it deserves. I try to do this for every discussion. You'd be surprised the number of people who are all "hate hate hate" but haven't thought the subject through at all.
For example, you play games for their story, apparently. As I stated above, Blizzard is trying to push the narrative that RTS games are capable of to new levels, which means, by your own tastes, enjoy what they're doing here. I'm kind of just trying to understand why exactly it is the opposite, and all you've really said about it is you don't like multi-part stories in general, and you don't agree with the prices (which they haven't exactly told us, yet)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »

RealID killed Blizzard for me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:36 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Normally games cost about 35 quid, starcraft 2 costs 45. If they knock off a tenner for the expansions, then at best you've paid a tenner more than you would've if you bought 3 seperate brand new games. (45 - 10 = 35... the price of most other games). You aren't saving anything unless you're in bizarro world where spending more money somehow leaves you with more than you started with.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Normally games cost about 35 quid, starcraft 2 costs 45. If they knock off a tenner for the expansions, then at best you've paid a tenner more than you would've if you bought 3 seperate brand new games. (45 - 10 = 35... the price of most other games). You aren't saving anything unless you're in bizarro world where spending more money somehow leaves you with more than you started with.

Plus, if you don't end up liking the game, and never buy the expansions, you save nothing.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »

Just postin' my own 2 cents here,not partaking in any prior arguementation.

I am going to,eventualy,after some time passed,buy starcraft 2.However not on account of Blizzard's Single-player campaign but for the custom map-community,which I hope will be just as good as the custum map-community of Warcraft 3.

Looking back,both the campaigns of Starcraft and Warcraft3 were mediocre at best;sometimes borderlining to rediciously boring up to the point wheras I had to force myself to continue playing,sometimes quick and fast-paced re-invoking my intereset in the game,yet most of the time insultingly easy even on the highest aviable difficulty-level.Sure,there are only so many possible missions for a RTS like Starcraft/Warcraft 3.Secure a certain point on the map for a specific amount of time;Destroy the enemies base;Reach that point of the map in a set amount of time;etc.You get the point.Don't get me wrong;They are all perfectly valid missions for any RTS and still remain exciting when done right.Needless to say,both of Blizzard's mentioned games did not fare well.The execution of most missions/quests were sloppy and had a severe lack of challange,even on hard difficulty resulting in me growing bored of the campaign to the point I abandoned them for several weeks;repeadetly.Knowing Blizzard their effort to make a single-player-campaign interesting occours to me as doomed from the start.Just talking from experience here,though;I just might be wrong.

However to make things worse,you get one campaign with only one race aviable(for single player).At least in Starcraft/Warcraft 3 you had one race for roughly ~8-10 maps then moved on to the next one,tossing the player into a (mostly) unknown situation.Nowimagine 30 missions with the same race;There are only so many new units one can introduce to the player in the curse of the game so eventualy the experience a player goes through stagnates,resulting in sheer and utter boredom as s/he is forced to continue with the same amount of aviable units and possible tactics through a campaign of assignments s/he has probably seen before.Now don't get me started on the game's story;For once I have not read up on it yet,however I have seen how blizzard threated Warcraft 3+tft's story in WoW.Blizzard's story-department's creations were not exciting and thrilling before yet fulfilled a certain standart in story-telling even though they were heavily loaded with clichés,sudden plotwists coming out of nowhere and stereo-typical characters but damn;why'd they do that to Illidan&Co in WoW?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »

Bay 12!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:25:20 pm by Lap »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Releases expected to sell exceptionally well start off at a higher price. Infamous and Prototype were close to $100Cdn upon release here, as were FIFA's Official Video Games during the World Cup. The price will go down in a few months, no doubt.

But that doesn't matter in this scenario, because your complaint was that you're already spending ten more quid than you would on a regular game, and they're trying to distract you by making the expansions cheaper. If you buy the entire Starcraft II collection, you will still be saving ten quid.

Frozen Throne cost just as much as Reign of Chaos did, so they're not doing anything new.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

I'm holding off for sure, as certain people (like Brother Laz of Median XL) have voiced some SERIOUS concerns over their custom map 'publishing' system, such as custom games being based on map, not a game room, and ranked by popularity...
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:29 pm »

Did anyone else notice the possible shoutout to bay 12?

The armory on the hyperion has a huge sign on the back wall saying "Bay 12"

You can clearly see it in the first cutscene when talking to the armory guy.

This was mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, don't remember by who. Keep in mind though, I THINK "Bay 12" originally came from an Alien/Aliens movie, which would be a more likely shoutout. It's not impossible they're referencing our Bay12, but I dunno.

PLEASE realize that was in 2008. They've since changed their stance on them being separate FULL games and changed to expansions. I don't doubt that the expansions will change multiplayer, though, because every Blizzard expansion ever HAS changed it.

(if you're not still talking about them as different standalone games then just ignore the first part of that statement!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:09:36 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »

I'm sure I'll wind up buying it eventually, but I'll probably wait 'til the Battle Chest eventu(ally comes out.

Especially since this first release is going to focus on the Terrans, and there are two planned expansions that will focus on the Zerg and Protoss.  I'll wait until I can buy all three for the same price as just the one right now.

http://xkcd.com/606/

(Ok, TBH I think it's an awesome mindset towards buying and playing games. )
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »

Net Gain of 10 Quid:

Releases expected to sell exceptionally well start off at a higher price. Infamous and Prototype were close to $100Cdn upon release here, as were FIFA's Official Video Games during the World Cup. The price will go down in a few months, no doubt.

But that doesn't matter in this scenario, because your complaint was that you're already spending ten more quid than you would on a regular game, and they're trying to distract you by making the expansions cheaper. If you buy the entire Starcraft II collection, you will still be saving ten quid.

Frozen Throne cost just as much as Reign of Chaos did, so they're not doing anything new.

Yeah releases that are expected to sell exceptionally well are 35 quid here (for PC releases anyways) but activision seems to think its games are worth more than others (COD MW2 had its price randomly inflated too). It wouldn't be newsworthy if it wasn't an unusual price. Certain retailers have had to knock the money off themselves and take a loss for fear of pissing off their customers according to a few articles I've read.

I still fail to see how anyone saves money by spending 10 more on a product than its competitors, then spending the same amount as they normally would for its expansions. You aren't saving anything, unless you consider not spending an imaginary sum of money "saving?" I mean, if the game was sold for a million pounds then discounted down to normal game prices, I guess you could say you just saved nearly a million pounds? Other than that noone is saving money. I'm really confused how this works out as saving money. :S

I'm holding off for sure, as certain people (like Brother Laz of Median XL) have voiced some SERIOUS concerns over their custom map 'publishing' system, such as custom games being based on map, not a game room, and ranked by popularity...

Out of Curiosity, who are Brother Laz and Median XL? I assume they're starcraft/warcraft 3 map makers?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31