Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31635 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

That stuff about the 25 meg limits, and 5 maps each, etc...

It's staggering that they thought this would be a good idea. How does the game handle using custom maps you've downloaded from outside the bnet publishing thingie? If you can't name your games is it just a case of crossing your fingers and hoping you find a tower defence, or RPG style map?
You can see the map that's being hosted :P I think the way it works is that Battle.net automatically gives a name to the game, based on the map name.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »

actually, I believe that Blizzard has gotten more user-friendly since they merged. Granted, the realID thing was a load of sh*t, but they have been releasing extra content for Diablo and Starcraft over the years, and have facilitated some stuff (like providing customers who register their CD key with the ability to download the game wholly from the blizzard website, which was handy for eee users. Or the no cd patches.). Pre-merger blizzard  never did this kind of thing. All in all so far I am not dissatisfied by blizzard (so far = starcraft, Diablo 2, warcraft 3). I even bought original warcraft 3 after having pirated it (granted, installing TFT was a factor, but still, I bothered). And I assure you this is not something I do very often.

I cant talk about starcraft 2 yet, because I am not buying it anytime soon (eee computer). When I finally do I'm as likely to buy it from the bargain bin as to acquire it through the Bay (and, like in WC3, if I like it I might end up bargainbinning it afterwards). I dont like the stuff I am hearing about realID and that kind of thing, though, but I was never a big fan of multiplayer. I like being able to play without relying on my net connection, or other people.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:06:01 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

Edit: whoops that was meant for the other thread.

ANyways they haven't gotten anymore user friendly that I can see.

Hell everything seems more convoluted nowadays.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2010, 04:01:40 pm »

I just read through the two articles Astral posted, and now I'm sure I'm not paying for this. Seems very much like they've killed custom mapping. :(

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

I just read through the two articles Astral posted, and now I'm sure I'm not paying for this. Seems very much like they've killed custom mapping. :(
The deal has been sealed.  Got no reason to get SCII anytime soon, if ever.

Gimping the custom maps... bastards.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2010, 05:16:35 pm »

Probably wasn't getting SCII, definitely not getting it now.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:03 pm »

I read the two links as well. Goddamn did Blizzard screw up.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »

I just watched a commercial for this. Even after Starcraft popped up I thought it was a movie I just didn't hear about, only when the II came out did I realize that lovely CG were the cutscenes for the game.

This game is like getting a Mustang with just the wheels and shell.
"Sure looks lovely, and it runs great"
"There's no engine"
"Why son, that's powerful gas saving technology there. You just use your feet and it goes as fast as you want, never needs to be filled up"
"But why does it cost 3 times what a normal car costs when there is nothing there?"
"Gee, that's value. We have to charge more, since your getting more value. Our appraisers told us you would pay anything for this, and we settled at three times normal costs."

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

It's going to cost 3x as much as a normal game because it is 3 games. well,1 game+2 expansions. most likely it will cost the price of 2-2.5 games.

also, there is a lot there. there is a solid and fun rts engine+pretty good single player campaign. multiplayer is competitive and fun because players are ranked, so you're not set up against 500 apm korean champions. The issues are with gimped custom maps - they're pretty big issues but saying "there is nothing there" is HUGE hyperbole.

It's like getting a plate of spaghetti with bad sauce and complaining that you didn't get any spaghetti.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2010, 08:52:50 pm »

Wait, you're restricted to one server? Fuck you Blizzard. Fuck you with a pineapple.
Restrictions are in place for the first 60 days after release, after which you can select regions.

(This may not apply to certain regions, in particular Latin America and Korea.)
Gonna have to ask for a source, I haven't seen any Blizzard employees say anything like this.
It still looks like you're going have to pay extra to play on different regions.

This ONLY applies to SE Asia / ANZ and you can ONLY change to the NA servers. And you lose all of your acheivements/rank.

I can't find the blue post for it, but here is a kotaku article: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/starcraft-ii-will-not-be-region-locked-in-australia/

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2010, 09:17:20 pm »

I just watched a commercial for this. Even after Starcraft popped up I thought it was a movie I just didn't hear about, only when the II came out did I realize that lovely CG were the cutscenes for the game.

This game is like getting a Mustang with just the wheels and shell.
"Sure looks lovely, and it runs great"
"There's no engine"
"Why son, that's powerful gas saving technology there. You just use your feet and it goes as fast as you want, never needs to be filled up"
"But why does it cost 3 times what a normal car costs when there is nothing there?"
"Gee, that's value. We have to charge more, since your getting more value. Our appraisers told us you would pay anything for this, and we settled at three times normal costs."

I'm going to wait until I play this game to actually contribute an opinion on it.

This is generally a good idea for most things, when you don't want to look like an asshole.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2010, 02:49:42 am »

I'm going to wait until I play this game to actually contribute an opinion on it.

This is generally a good idea for most things, when you don't want to look like an asshole.

I didn't think logic was allowed here.

Anyway, I bought it, I like it, campaign is a blast and multiplayer is solid. I never played LAN, don't care. Don't have friends overseas, region lock doesn't bother me. Custom map system is annoying, but the original StarCraft shipped without the ability to watch replays..... and map publishing's been around maybe two months? *shrug*

If you have a logistical reason not to buy it, that's completely understandable. But at least take the time to do some (any?) research before you contribute to the background whine of the internet. There is a non-realID friend feature, chat is due out in a month or two, and the next 2 chapters won't be priced as a full game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2010, 03:45:50 am »

I'm kinda wondering if it's possible to play SC2 on a 3rd party matchmaking thing, like Garena. Or is it just restricted to Battle.net?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2010, 04:24:46 am »

I'm kinda wondering if it's possible to play SC2 on a 3rd party matchmaking thing, like Garena. Or is it just restricted to Battle.net?
As far as I know, all multiplayer games go through battle.net

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2010, 05:13:08 am »

It's totally possible to play it via Garena and the like. I don't know details yet but there are at least two russian battle-net emulators being developed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31