Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31473 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:32 am »

But yeah, really not too excited about the game itself. The idea of paying for a 3rd of the story at a time pisses me off. I wanna just play through it and be finished, not have to wait another year for part 1.2 and then another year for 1.3.
I was really pissed off with the original Star Wars TRILOGY( >:(), but then they released 3 more. Don't get me started on Indiana Jones! And jeez, the Half-Life series. Why couldn't they just do all the story in the first game? I had to buy that, plus blueshift plus opposing force PLUS HL2 with ep1 and ep 2 and the story still isn't freaking done yet. Freakin' Halo, too.
Also, Lord of the Rings. Books and movies. It's like, they already had all the source material laid out, they could've put it all into one film!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:52 am »

edit:how did i doubledpost

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

But yeah, really not too excited about the game itself. The idea of paying for a 3rd of the story at a time pisses me off. I wanna just play through it and be finished, not have to wait another year for part 1.2 and then another year for 1.3.
I was really pissed off with the original Star Wars, but then they released 3 more. Don't get me started on Indiana Jones! And jeez, the Half-Life series. Why couldn't they just do all the story in the first game? I had to buy that, plus blueshift plus opposing force PLUS HL2 with ep1 and ep 2 and the story still isn't freaking done yet. Freakin' Halo, too.
Also, Lord of the Rings. Books and movies. It's like, they already had all the source material laid out, they could've put it all into one film!

I detect a hint of sarcasm there.

Besides, all the HL games were sold as expansions. I think the other two SCs will be sold for the same price as WoL.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:23 am »

How hard is it to implement LAN if you can set up internet gaming support?
They axed it as an anti-piracy measure. I hope they all go for a cruise off the coast of Somalia, and walk the plank into a shark-infested sea.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:58 am »

How hard is it to implement LAN if you can set up internet gaming support?
They axed it as an anti-piracy measure. I hope they all go for a cruise off the coast of Somalia, and walk the plank into a shark-infested sea.
Such fantasies, thinking the meat of their game comes in LAN form.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:06 am »

http://us.starcraft2.com/faq.xml
scroll down to the trilogy section, where they refer to them as expansions. They're dodgy about the prices but I doubt they're going to release them as full 60$ games

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 11:20:17 am »

scroll down to the trilogy section, where they refer to them as expansions. They're dodgy about the prices but I doubt they're going to release them as full 60$ games

Quote from: Blizzard
however, we've always charged an appropriate price for the content the player receives...

They mention that the original has about 30 missions; the next two expansions will have about the same amount. Doesn't that mean that they will charge about the same amount?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 11:21:55 am »

Quote from: Blizzard
however, we've always charged an appropriate price for the content the player receives...

They mention that the original has about 30 missions; the next two expansions will have about the same amount. Doesn't that mean that they will charge about the same amount?
no, because Wings of Liberty is also buying the engine + multiplayer experience, where each expansion adds only campaign missions.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:12 am »

I enjoyed Warcaft III for its campaign and custom maps. If Starcraft II is half as good in both aspects I might think of getting it. I like the "twitch" gameplay, sort of.
I honestly don't understand the hate towards Blizzard.

Warning - while you were typing 12 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Ok...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:41:59 am by ILikePie »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:00 am »

I was really pissed off with the original Star Wars TRILOGY( >:(), but then they released 3 more. Don't get me started on Indiana Jones! And jeez, the Half-Life series. Why couldn't they just do all the story in the first game? I had to buy that, plus blueshift plus opposing force PLUS HL2 with ep1 and ep 2 and the story still isn't freaking done yet. Freakin' Halo, too.

The thing I enjoyed about starcraft was the intertwined narratives for each race. With SC2 it'll either be completely seperate stories, or each one will be a huge cliffhanger ending that resolves nothing. Which is basically just a "fuck you" to the customer.

Aside from that I generally DONT enjoy the fact that I'm still waiting for half life episode 3. I'm sure that is a pretty common sentiment. I'm much more tolerant of it in movies than other media, because it takes an hour and a half to watch a movie generally, insead of the 10+ (hopefully) hours of gameplay you need to get through to replay a game. Also gameplay repetition is much more annoying than movie repetition, like if you get stuck at an exceptionally frustrating segment for example. Movies just play continuously untill they're done. You get the entire plot regardless of how good you are at watching films.

Don't pretend that all forms of storytelling are exactly the same, or are experienced in the same way. And just because you are fine with being sold the same story 3 times doesn't mean everyone else is. Even within the genre of video games, I much prefer playing FPS games to RTS, so while I'm willing to play through a FPS two or three times, I'm never going to replay a RTS.

That's what they've said. Each campaign is a full price game.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 11:30:27 am »

Also, Lord of the Rings. Books and movies. they could've put it all into one film!
You want to watch a movie thats at least 6 hours long? Theres a reason most movies stay under 3 hours.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 11:34:46 am »

The thing I enjoyed about starcraft was the intertwined narratives for each race. With SC2 it'll either be completely seperate stories, or each one will be a huge cliffhanger ending that resolves nothing. Which is basically just a "fuck you" to the customer.

Aside from that I generally DONT enjoy the fact that I'm still waiting for half life episode 3. I'm sure that is a pretty common sentiment. I'm much more tolerant of it in movies than other media, because it takes an hour and a half to watch a movie generally, insead of the 10+ (hopefully) hours of gameplay you need to get through to replay a game. Also gameplay repetition is much more annoying than movie repetition, like if you get stuck at an exceptionally frustrating segment for example. Movies just play continuously untill they're done. You get the entire plot regardless of how good you are at watching films.

Don't pretend that all forms of storytelling are exactly the same, or are experienced in the same way. And just because you are fine with being sold the same story 3 times doesn't mean everyone else is. Even within the genre of video games, I much prefer playing FPS games to RTS, so while I'm willing to play through a FPS two or three times, I'm never going to replay a RTS.
The narratives can be just as intertwined? It wasn't like they did it so you did 2 missions as zerg, then 1 as terran and the next 3 as protoss. The 3 campaigns were separate anyways. Now, they're putting a lot more effort into each campaign so it should be MUCH BETTER than the original Starcraft's narrative that you "liked so much".

Also, you play an RTS once and then... never pick it up again? Even though most RTSes have shoddy story at best and their value is in their replayability? You're a very strange gamer...

Where did they say that? The FAQ about it I linked did not state anything about prices, it in fact says they haven't decided yet. It also stated them to be expansions, not full new games.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:29 am »

The original plan WAS to sell them as three completely independent standalone games, but that plan has been changed and the other two are scheduled to be expansions.

Edit: Also, I'm really ok with it being done this way because, like others have mentioned, I'm assuming they're going to intertwine the campaigns as they did in both SC and WC3 so that they build on each other to tell the whole story.

Edit2: I AM really pissed about the lack of LAN, though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:00:17 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:56:24 am »

Also, Lord of the Rings. Books and movies. they could've put it all into one film!
You want to watch a movie thats at least 6 hours long? Theres a reason most movies stay under 3 hours.
"Eight hours long and they still cut out the part about Tom Bombadil."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

The narratives can be just as intertwined? It wasn't like they did it so you did 2 missions as zerg, then 1 as terran and the next 3 as protoss. The 3 campaigns were separate anyways. Now, they're putting a lot more effort into each campaign so it should be MUCH BETTER than the original Starcraft's narrative that you "liked so much".

Also, you play an RTS once and then... never pick it up again? Even though most RTSes have shoddy story at best and their value is in their replayability? You're a very strange gamer...

Where did they say that? The FAQ about it I linked did not state anything about prices, it in fact says they haven't decided yet. It also stated them to be expansions, not full new games.

I'm not a strange gamer, I'm just not you. Everyone plays games differently, for different reasons, and has different favorite types of games. Don't presume that yours is the only way to play, or that you're even in the majority. Yes i play RTSes once and then never pick them up again. I play most games once and then never pick them up again. New games come out every week, and I'd rather have new experiences than retread old ones endlessly. I'm sure if you shared some of your gaming habits with me I'd find more than enough reasons to call you strange.

You only "know" they're putting ALOT MUCH MORE effort into each campaign because they told you. They also told you you don't want LAN play. And they told you that you should always use your real name online beacuse that way... no trolls? Don't pass off blizzard marketing as fact, at least not untill the games are actually out. Sure the campaigns could be the greatest fiction ever told, but while the jury is still out don't pretend to talk from experience.

I thought I read a slashdot article last year saying each campaign would be a full priced game, but I can't find it now. They have said each campaign adds to the multiplayer, and changes the way it's played. Just beacuse they call them expansions doesn't mean they're going to be priced accordingly (which I would consider to be £20) I can easily see the next two instalments being £35. They'll pass this off as being less expensive because they've jacked up the price for no reason anyway.

"Oh hey guys! Sorry about randomly charging 10 quid more for SC2, but the expansions will cost 10 quid less, aren't we awesome?"

Anyway, you allready love the games unconditionally, so knock yourself out. I'm not going to convince you that it's possible to not be foaming-at-the-mouth excited about them, and you aren't going to convince me they're flawless masterpieces, so lets just agree to disagree.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31