Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workarounds for annoying bugs  (Read 1500 times)

SilverSide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workarounds for annoying bugs
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:34 am »

I know the bug tracker is the place to report bugs, but thought it might be nice to have a thread with workarounds instead of having to dig around in there for the problem you're having.

Some of the ones I've noticed and found ways around in 0.31.12:

Dwarf Cancels Clean Self: Area Inaccessible
This consistently happens to me whenever I make soap.  It seems that the dwarves will go to the soap stockpile, grab a bar and then for some reason can't find their way to water.  The only workaround I've found is to not make soap, and forbid any that might turn up; then they have no problem going to water and washing themselves.
This can be really frustrating as it's a task you can't disable in any way - if they need surgery they'll continually run off to clean themselves and fail, which brings us to...

Dwarf Cancels Surgery: Patient Not Resting
Dwarves really don't like surgery in this version; they'll come up with any excuse to get out of it ("Sorry Doctor, I need to go and Clean Self!").  I've found that surgery will work, however, if you disable all of the patient's labours and remove him from the military.

Make Cast lasts forever
If you have gypsum plaster, your doctors will sometimes decide to make a cast for a broken limb instead of using a splint.  However, when they do this they'll go to water with a bucket and then get stuck until an urgent need pulls them away.  It seems like making casts is actually impossible at present, the only workaround is similar to the one for soap: don't acquire any gypsum plaster, and if you do, forbid it.

Can't cut clear glass
Okay, so I'm not sure if this is down to me not understanding the interface of the jeweler's workshop - if so, my apologies.  It seems, though, that the option to cut clear glass into gems has disappeared from the jeweler's.  The only way I was able to get them to cut the clear glass was by assigning a manager and using a production order.

Buckermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workarounds for annoying bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:15:58 am »

re:Dwarf Cancels Clean Self: Area Inaccessible

Basically, make a pond, fill it partially with water and put a soap stockpile behind it. That way Urist McCleanself will walk through the water to get the soap. Usually when he gets to the soap, he is already cleaned.
To speed up filling the pond, it helps to have a well and bucket stockpile nearby.
Art reflects life, and then menaces with spikes.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:47:15 am »

is there any workaround for "Urist McIdiot cancels store item in stockpile: job item misplaced"? it seems that it makes the dwarf carry it till it does something else, which makes it leave the item there and blocking me from building there. very annoying when building rooms.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:19 am »

I have had problems with item dumping, occasionally some items will refuse to be dumped, 16+ idle dwarves, avaliable route, does the dump zone have to be a certian distance away?
I have a miner in hospital, broken left foot, there is a traction bench next to his bed and he was placed on it once, then moved back to bed. The doctor refuses to diagnose more treatment, and he is my expedition leader.

EDIT: Is there any way to get miners to mine out an area regardless of damp/warm stone? I am digging an area under a water reservoir and don't want to have to re-designate each layer again and again. Since they cancel the digging of damp stone the only way to get them to work is designate each layer after they dig out the previous one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:55:20 am by Samohan25 »

SilverSide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:36:03 am »

I have had problems with item dumping, occasionally some items will refuse to be dumped, 16+ idle dwarves, avaliable route, does the dump zone have to be a certian distance away?

I've seen this, and there seem to be two possible solutions:

1.  Sometimes the dump status seems to get broken.  Try undumping them using Remove Dump (d-b-D), unpausing for a few seconds, then dumping them again.
2.  If a dumped object is outside and dwarves aren't set to gather refuse from outside, they won't pick them up.  This seems to happen if you channel out the ceiling of a room, making the dumped objects technically 'outside'.  They'll dump them just fine if you enable outdoors refuse gathering (o-r-o).

Not sure about the damp/warm stone thing...on the other hand, I'd rather have the annoying warnings than a fortress full of magma.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:30:50 am »

Not sure about the damp/warm stone thing...on the other hand, I'd rather have the annoying warnings than a fortress full of magma.

I was hoping there would be a way to force an area to be dug, not all the time but possibly an additional option, if you can see where the water is then you can normally just dig the sstone, it flashes blue as a warning, but if there's water above/below then it will act as if you discover damp stone each time the stone is revieled.

Sorry for the confusing explination, I could make some pictures of it if you want, I just wanted a way to temporarily stop digging from being canceled.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:14:38 am by Samohan25 »

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:15:08 pm »

You could try using reveal.exe, which is part of the DFHack tools. Dwarves will only cancel the designation on tiles that are designated before they're revealed, and reveal.exe will, well, reveal them. It should still unreveal everything (even though you've unpaused) as long as you don't save the game or close the tool before you're done.

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:14 am »

You could try using reveal.exe, which is part of the DFHack tools. Dwarves will only cancel the designation on tiles that are designated before they're revealed, and reveal.exe will, well, reveal them. It should still unreveal everything (even though you've unpaused) as long as you don't save the game or close the tool before you're done.

Careful with this one. Word on the street is that Bad Things can happen if you unpause after using reveal. Spoilery things. FPS-destroying things.

Not sure if accurate, but important if true. Your mileage may vary. VoidPointer's warnings are not for everyone. Consult a logician before use.
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:32:03 am »

About the dumping thing, dwarves won't dump things that belong to other dwarves. If there is a pig tail sock belonging to your soldiers among the dozens of discarded goblin armor, your dwarves won't dump the sock.

SilverSide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:23 am »

Dwarves also won't dump anything that's been designated for use in construction, so if you have a lot of unbuilt constructions around it might be that the stones they won't dump are waiting to be made into something.

Kamawoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:47 am »

Many of you may already know this, but I'll share the discovery that was most useful to me as a newbie.

How to find the location of a building that you are trying to link to a lever:

Adjust the zoom level, the screen should then focus on the correct building from the list.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:17:07 am »

Many of you may already know this, but I'll share the discovery that was most useful to me as a newbie.

How to find the location of a building that you are trying to link to a lever:

Adjust the zoom level, the screen should then focus on the correct building from the list.

Thanks for that tip, I was wondering since I did have trouble locating a single floodgate.

I was thinking more of a permament solution in DF, like ordering your dwarves not to cancel a set designation, regardless.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:59:21 pm »

The dumping items thing is driving me crazy.  My current fort has a dozen wall or floor segments, or other constructions, that are permanently on hold because of a sock or a shoe.  I had to build a "bypass" in an exterior wall I was building because nobody would pick up a rock that someone had dropped in the way.  That rock has its own custom alcove in my otherwise perfectly straight wall.  I built walls to extend the front door area because someone dropped a bolt that nobody will touch right where I wanted to build the door.  And I have both a dirt hole in the middle of a lovely obsidian floor and a spiked metal ball I can't use because the dwarves won't let anyone move it to build the floor, or use it to put in a trap.

I've done the undump-unpause-dump trick and it seems to work about 10% of the time.  I've tried undumping, forbidding, unpausing, unforbidding, unpausing, dumping, and that doesn't seem to make any difference.  I've checked and nobody owns the items. 

Anymore I just convince myself that the dwarves believe the items are holy/cursed.  "No, Urist, you mustn't put a door there!  Do not touch the Curséd Pig Tail Sock of Snözub the Undying Twist!"  or "You mustn't move the Most Holy Pine Bolt (used) Of Saint Urist the Immoral Hills of Apathy!  Even if that's where you want to put the still!"
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06:51 pm »

Dumping sometimes gets messed up for me, I notice it happen when I have a ton of stuff marked for dumping. My best guess is that an inaccessible item locks up the dumping process, my fix has been to undump everything (using stocks screen) and re-designate items for dumping in smaller quantities. Double check every category in the stocks screen and remove the dump status from everything ("d" twice should clear it) - you may have accidentally marked a dwarf's possessions for dumping so check all the categories.

The camera doesn't always center on the selected object when linking levers, "c" will center the view on the currently selected item, it works the same as zooming but may be less annoying.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.