Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spiral Ramp Design: Will this work?  (Read 11350 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Ramp Design: Will this work?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:18 pm »

Color coded floor tiles! Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Finally, a use for all those groups of 4 cobaltite blocks that get made in the middle of the Shale Block Storm.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »

Finally, a use for all those groups of 4 cobaltite blocks that get made in the middle of the Shale Block Storm.

The first thing I do in a new fort now is disable all types of stone except the ones I want to use for general construction. No cobaltite blocks, microcline doors, orthoclase tables...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »

The first thing I do in a new fort now is disable all types of stone except the ones I want to use for general construction. No cobaltite blocks, microcline doors, orthoclase tables...

><

See, its stuff like this that gets me, when I realize that there already exist tools to do things I've been doing the long way around via forbidding, dumping, or whatever for years. If only I could see it this clearly the first time...

Is there a Protip thread around here somewhere? I seem to remember reading crap like this back in 40d, but the thread died long ago.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »

I have two Quickfort csv files that I use for my spiral ramp layout.  The core is a 2x2 which can be either carved away as a channel down the center or dug out as a 4x4 connection between the two halves of the ramp.  I do the latter at this time.  The files cause Quickfort to designate two layers at a time.

The first file is only the ramp.  I use this when digging below the fortress proper, in order to locate the caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second file is my room layout, but the rooms are not connected yet.  This is so that I get the corridors dug early on in the fortress.  Later I connect the rooms that I need to the corridors with 3-tile doorways.  Leaving them unconnected also allows me to customize some rooms.  The layout provides for eight 11x11 rooms per layer, as is.  I usually subdivide two into four 5x5 each, for the homes of the Captain of the Guard and the Mayor, and the offices of the Bookkeeper and the Manager.  I enlarge a few for dormatories and barracks.  Workshop and stockpile areas are left as is.

Do you have the actual CSV files uploaded anywhere, and will the former design accommodate wagons for traders?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 02:48:07 am »

i think it needs to have very wide passages to get a wagon round a curve. something like the 5 tile wide roads you find underground.

also, these designs are all very pretty. ive done single helix ramps dozens of times, but never a double helix.

also, some of the tilesets, like maydays current one, give sloping walls that look really good with this kind of design.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 04:13:42 am »

I refer to the two sides of the Double Helix as the Front Spin and the Back Spin.  The Front is marked with Blue Arrows (Cobaltite) by the ramps, the Back with Red Arrows (Cinnabar).  The Blue Arrows all point the way to the surface (Blue Sky), while the Red Arrows point to the depths (Red Magma).  Marking them may not help the dwarfs, but it has come in handy for me numerous times.

I am so stealing that idea.  I just dug a double spiral ramp, with one half sealed off down to the depot room and the other half providing access for the whole fort.  It'll be helpful to know which is which so I don't accidentally connect the outside to the middle of my fort  8)

Now all I need to do is find some rock that isn't white, yellow or gray..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 04:38:09 am »

I refer to the two sides of the Double Helix as the Front Spin and the Back Spin.  The Front is marked with Blue Arrows (Cobaltite) by the ramps, the Back with Red Arrows (Cinnabar).  The Blue Arrows all point the way to the surface (Blue Sky), while the Red Arrows point to the depths (Red Magma).  Marking them may not help the dwarfs, but it has come in handy for me numerous times.

I am so stealing that idea.  I just dug a double spiral ramp, with one half sealed off down to the depot room and the other half providing access for the whole fort.  It'll be helpful to know which is which so I don't accidentally connect the outside to the middle of my fort  8)

Now all I need to do is find some rock that isn't white, yellow or gray..

You mean you haven't been buried in microcline yet?

Thanks for the replies all, I'm going with a modified version of the original idea - adding the wall so that the ramps actually work, and removing the centre crossover for two levels of every three (I've already mangled two miners removing the existing ones...) The arrows are a great idea and I think I may steal it too. XD
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 10:45:26 am »

I have two Quickfort csv files that I use for my spiral ramp layout.  The core is a 2x2 which can be either carved away as a channel down the center or dug out as a 4x4 connection between the two halves of the ramp.  I do the latter at this time.  The files cause Quickfort to designate two layers at a time.

The first file is only the ramp.  I use this when digging below the fortress proper, in order to locate the caverns.

The second file is my room layout, but the rooms are not connected yet.  This is so that I get the corridors dug early on in the fortress.  Later I connect the rooms that I need to the corridors with 3-tile doorways.  Leaving them unconnected also allows me to customize some rooms.  The layout provides for eight 11x11 rooms per layer, as is.  I usually subdivide two into four 5x5 each, for the homes of the Captain of the Guard and the Mayor, and the offices of the Bookkeeper and the Manager.  I enlarge a few for dormatories and barracks.  Workshop and stockpile areas are left as is.

Do you have the actual CSV files uploaded anywhere, and will the former design accommodate wagons for traders?
Those are the actual CSV files.  :)  Just cut-n-paste them into notepad and save them with a file name with the extension CSV instead of TXT.

According to the "D" display, wagons can go down as far as there are corridors dug, and a ramp down.  They need the area provided by the downward ramp in order to turn the corner into the 5-wide corridor.  Since 31.x has no wagons and I was not using Quickfort with 40d, I don't know that thedy can actually get there, but the program says they can.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »

><

See, its stuff like this that gets me, when I realize that there already exist tools to do things I've been doing the long way around via forbidding, dumping, or whatever for years. If only I could see it this clearly the first time...

Is there a Protip thread around here somewhere? I seem to remember reading crap like this back in 40d, but the thread died long ago.

I believe there are tons of such threads, but you should also realize that I did things the hard way for my own share of time as well. I've learned by picking up a little bit in each thread or wiki page, organically, ya know? Learning how to learn is a very important first step (any Eve player will agree) because good habits will benefit you all across life, from games to work to driving and other skilled tasks.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 [2]