Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II  (Read 34993 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress reference in Starcraft II
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2010, 09:54:31 am »

I picked up SC2 the other day. I got it from Walmart, since Pawnstop only had reserve copies. Not that I can blame them for not wanting to buy too many copies of such a little-known, indie title as Starcraft 2, who knows if it would sell... :P :D  Anyway, I do have to say that the short engineer guy looks like a dwarf. :) Not entirely like one, but if I was asked to imagine a "space dwarf" that is pretty close to what I would think of.

I'm loving SC2, though I get the feeling I will have to switch to "Easy" for the rest of the missions. :(
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2010, 10:34:25 am »

I picked up SC2 the other day. I got it from Walmart, since Pawnstop only had reserve copies. Not that I can blame them for not wanting to buy too many copies of such a little-known, indie title as Starcraft 2, who knows if it would sell... :P :D  Anyway, I do have to say that the short engineer guy looks like a dwarf. :) Not entirely like one, but if I was asked to imagine a "space dwarf" that is pretty close to what I would think of.

I'm loving SC2, though I get the feeling I will have to switch to "Easy" for the rest of the missions. :(

Spoilers to the singleplayer campaign of SC2 follow. Don't click through if you don't want to be spoiled regarding the "dwarf" Swann and the Terran mission technology.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2010, 12:18:17 pm »

5 Dwarfbucks says that there is a Blizzite (or whatever you call there employees) among us.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2010, 12:29:01 pm »

5 Dwarfbucks says that there is a Blizzite (or whatever you call there employees) among us.

"A"?  Hehe. No bet. I am not a Blizzard employee but I bet there is more than one here. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »

Dizzy Blizzees...  :)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2010, 04:10:15 am »

Swann is about what I get when I combine the words "Dwarf", "Redneck" and "Space" in my head.  Also, his lines when he goes to ground as a hero unit in one of the Char missions are great.
"Present ARM!"
"Wanna hear the sound of one-handed clapping?" *CLANK!*

Oh, and he throws a flamethrower auto turret called "Flaming Betty", with the rank of "Swann's BFF".  I don't care if he's a dwarf reference or not, I love his character and his personality.

Also, completely off topic, but the shenanigans in the victory cutscene for the prison break level if you side with Nova are downright hilarious.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2010, 04:38:21 am »

You villain, I haven't played those yet. Spoiler tags plz :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2010, 09:51:57 am »

Heh, I love starcraft.  Many fond memories from my undergrad days, playing with my roommates.  I won't be getting SC2 anytime soon, though--my computer couldn't handle it.  Curse the profusion of 3d games and my lack of a graphics card!  Maybe many people on this forum dislike starcraft because it's almost the inverse of dwarf fortress.  DF is a small, indie game with a focus on broad, realistic simulation.  It's still a bit rough around the edges but we all love it.  Starcraft is a big budget popular game with a focus on narrow, abstracted combat with an emphasis on polished gameplay.  For all those who say they hate RTS's though, I ask you...what do you think DF is?  It's played in real time, it requires strategy!  Sure, you can pause it, but you can pause any RTS if you are playing single player.  Sure, it has a stronger emphasis on "city building" than the average RTS, but in my estimation it still falls into the category. 

Mmm, also, I don't think you can blame blizzard for reducing creativity in game development, since I can think of at least two genres of games that were spawned from the map editors for starcraft and warcraft....tower defense (which has gone on to inspire a profusion of flash games) and Defense of the Ancients (which has inspired at least one mass market game). 

As for the OP, I think it really is a reference.  First of all, the "Bay 12".  For this to be random, consider the choices that must have lead to it's presence.  First, the devs could have not placed a room number at all.  Since you don't actually walk the corridors to find the place, this could have easily happened.  Second, they had to choose "bay" as the descriptor of the room--when they could have easily chosen "sector", "level", "room", or some other term.  Then they had to provide it with a number, which clearly could have been any number between 1 and 12, and probably anything between 1 and 99.  So it's highly unlikely for them to randomly pick "Bay 12" as opposed to leaving it blank or using another number or term--maybe 1/800 if all options were equally likley (an unreasonable assumption, mind. but still).   So "Bay 12" is likely a reference to either DF or aliens.  Now, both have been referenced in Blizzard games before: DF very clearly in WoW, likewise Aliens in the original Starcraft (the dropship says "in the pipe, 5 by 5").  So both are possibilities.  To determine which is being referenced we should consider the context.  On the pro aliens side, we have the general context (a bay in a spaceship) and the fact that starcraft contains some xenomorph knockoffs.  On the pro DF side we note that the room holds a short, stocky technologically proficient miner with notable facial hair from the planet Moria.  I have to side with DF here, because that reference is more specific.  If the room contained an Zerg queen instead of a dwarf stand-in, I'd go the other way. However, it's worth noting the possibility that the reference is to Bay 12 in particular since it can reference BOTH df and aliens.

Not that it really matters at all, but analysis is fun!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2010, 09:56:43 am »

Here's something to think about: Blizzard games always ship with one part completely broken that gets slowly fixed over the course of 1-4 years. With D2 it was the european customer service, with SC1 it was the updater, WoW had it's dungeon matchmaking system that literally took half a decade(counting open beta as well) to be fixed etc.

Custom map options in SC2 are horrible right now, there's no denying that but with blizzard at least it has the potential of eventually getting fixed unlike, say, the other half of Acti-Blizz.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2010, 10:05:54 am »

Heh, I love starcraft.  Many fond memories from my undergrad days, playing with my roommates.  I won't be getting SC2 anytime soon, though--my computer couldn't handle it.

SC2 complains my home computer isn't fast enough, but the game still runs okay. It has minor hiccups here and there, less if I disable my anti-virus.  I have a 7900 video card and a 2.4 ghz single-core processor.  I didn't go through and tweak any graphics settings yet, but I checked and not everything is on minimum. It would probably run almost flawlessly at min settings.

If that's all that is holding you back, give it a shot, either get a buddy key from someone to try it (I left my box at home or I'd pony up) or wait until the demo comes out.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2010, 11:18:59 am »

If they are putting out a playable demo, I'll certainly give it a shot. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:03 am »

it was called the beta you are late.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »

it was called the beta you are late.

No, beta is called beta, a demo is a demo of the retail game with all the bugs that would cause slowness presumably fixed. :D

Game companies need to get back in the habit of releasing demos, if only to prove that their games will run on a person's computer. (Or run at all... Rockstar, I'm looking at you...)

The buddy key thing is a reasonable demo but hopefully they will get a real demo made soon, one that anyone can download.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2010, 12:50:12 pm »

I remember the SC1 demo, that thing was fun, 3 single player missions that was a good showcase of the game itself, where you run into a confederate reserch team (science  vessel guy) who tells you that you are in a now restricted area, and have to fight off several waves of xenomorphs.

The links to all their demos no longer exist though, which is sad, it was my only way to play WC1 since when it was easy to find i was a strait up Console kid playing Lost Vikings (another quality Blizzard product.)

I am not a blizzard employee, but i am ridiculously unemployed right now, so if they were hiring through threads on this forum I would love a job :P

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »

The "demo" is a guest pass. Ask someone who bought a boxed copy for a guest pass, and you will receive a 7 hour "demo."
quib·ble
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11