Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.  (Read 7333 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 11:00:23 am »

I just sell any rejects to the caravans. If the armor or weapon is not masterwork it gets hauled to the caravan and traded away for more steel, pig iron, and iron bars. Also more gems to encrust things with.

You can never have enough gems decorating your throne.

eliddell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:20 am »

I would question why your armoursmith didn't churn out a huge pile of spares when he was at his prime. It takes micromanagement to be short on equipment compared to just sticking the job on repeat, assuming you've always had plenty of resources.
Perhaps he did have spares--and then the fort was invaded by troops of rhesus macaques with shield fetishes.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:43 am »

I would question why your armoursmith didn't churn out a huge pile of spares when he was at his prime. It takes micromanagement to be short on equipment compared to just sticking the job on repeat, assuming you've always had plenty of resources.
Perhaps he did have spares--and then the fort was invaded by troops of rhesus macaques with shield fetishes.
That's just lousy placement of goods then. Lategame, workshops and stockpiles should be in secure areas. We're talking of a fort several years old, not at the beginning where thefts happen easily.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »

I agree that rust needs some reworking, in the sense that people (perhaps dwarves do) don't forget everything. I'd like to see a time increase on production and a one or two level drop in quality, but not legendaries performing like idiots.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:15 am »

I agree that rust needs some reworking, in the sense that people (perhaps dwarves do) don't forget everything. I'd like to see a time increase on production and a one or two level drop in quality, but not legendaries performing like idiots.

Question: Does that actually happen? How low does skill actually rust? Also, permanent levels of a skill can be lost, although it's rare.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:43 am »

Question: Does that actually happen? How low does skill actually rust? Also, permanent levels of a skill can be lost, although it's rare.

The only time I examined this closely was with my bone crafter. All of the items he made were of basic quality until the rust went away. It may get worse with time, I hadn't used this guy's skills for 8 years. But it took many items and decorations to finally get the rust off. Maybe it's a bug with bone crafters.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 01:54:24 am »

He could have lost some permanent skill as well. What skill was he before rusting? Legendary?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:01 am »

Like stated before by someone it makes no sense to have all your skills rust into oblivion for not doing something....kinda like riding a bike...if you do something long enough you don't really forget it...sure you have to jump back on the bike and get a feel for it after putting it down for a while but it all comes back and everything is fine in a quick manner...Im sure if Lance Armstrong hopped off his bike for a few years he could get right back on it no problem....might be slightly out of shape or whatever but he still knows what the hell he is doing....

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 05:29:05 pm »

The worst with regards to rusty are doctors, hands down. All of my doctors are very rusty on all of their doctoral skills simply because I only have one to two hospitalized dwarves per year. If this thread is correct about very rusty legendaries working at dabbling skill levels then this mechanic basically destroys the entire healthcare system for me (and would explain why my hospital is just an elaborate morgue despite being fully stocked and properly staffed).

Really disappointing feature. If not for the massive military bugs in previous releases I'd honestly consider backtracking just to avoid the rusty system.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 06:05:28 pm »

The worst with regards to rusty are doctors, hands down. All of my doctors are very rusty on all of their doctoral skills simply because I only have one to two hospitalized dwarves per year.

I think one issue here is that there's no opportunity to practice a skill. In the real world, there would be ways to practice a skill in a non-critical setting instead of just never thinking about it for a year straight.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 06:17:45 pm »

Is that unreasonable?  I mean he didn't do didly squat for EIGHT years.   If I had a craftsman come over my house to put on a new roof and he had URIST McEXPERT ROOFING on the side of his van and he casually mentioned oh yeah I haven't touched a roofing hammer in like eight years, I would send his ass back asap.

It's a 'real life' hour of my time! How much responsibilty should he bear in letting his skill go unused? Axedwarfs and marksdwarves train. Why can't a bone crafter?

Uhm... cause bones aren't a reusable resource, and swords and bows are?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »

A way to practice would be pretty good, yeah. It'd allow me to justify leaving the doctors in the hospital burrow permanently, not just microing them in when there is a patient. It'd also give them a way to actually improve, because even before the rusty system doctoral skills improved at a glacial pace due to how rarely they are used. Barring turning your fort into a dwarf slaughterhouse, that is.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

I do like the idea of rusting skills, but I think it's a bit too harsh now. Perhaps losing one or two skill levels temporarily per level of rust would be less harsh.
Indeed, it kills the healthcare system. I don't play without custom workshops anymore, to keep my doctors in shape.

Urist McAnthrax: 'Doctor, I feel rather bad'
Urist McRustyDiagnostician: 'No worries, you just got a common flu, let me write you a prescription'
Urist McRustySurgeon: 'Damnit I can't read this stupid prescription. Common flu, you said, right?'
Urist McAnthrax: 'That's what the doc said'
Urist McRustySurgeon: 'Okay, I remember now just how to fix that, just lie down on this table for me'
...(somewhat later)
Urist McAnthrax: 'My legs! Where's my legs? Oh God! It burns! It burns!!'
...Urist McAnthrax has died of infection.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:29:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »

I hate having 'Very Rusty" surgeons running around the place... actually, i hate that there's no Dwarf Companion for Mac, too.... but back to surgeons. When you have invasions disabled, the times you do need a surgeon are when accidents happen. Geeze, guys, I'm so sorry we don't periodically rip open stomach lining to keep you guys at top condition.

it's really the problem with the whole "hospital" system- real hospitals gets patients every day. DF, unless you really suck, not so much.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:59 am »

Well, in real life, hospitals serve areas of several thousand people at least.  There's enough problems to keep the doctors busy there.  That's why you aren't going to find many hospitals or even doctors in towns of only 200.  I also use the anatomical theater to keep them up to speed.  I consider them more of med school students rather than actual doctors.  Of course, I'm also neigh-anal about safety, so my dwarfs rarely get injured.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4