Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.  (Read 7327 times)

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:27 pm »

Is their anyway to turn off skill rust. It get incredibly annoying in my fortress. I often have a Mechanic or a Armorer create things in bulks, often stopping for a half year because a fortress has been supplied with the surplus of supplies. But when ever I go back to making things now (mechanism for example) my mechanic is always "Rusty" (It says rusty right next to the skill.). I've never seen this before in any of the previous versions, btw I'm using .12 right now. Is there anyway to turn this off because it effectively turns anyone, talented armorer smiths or mechanics into dabbling armorer smiths and mechanics and it never seems to go away. :'(

I miss when it used to just make their skills degrade to dabbling rather then making them this irritating "Rusty".   :(
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:01 am »

I have no way to turn it off, but mitigating it is trivial. All it takes is two jobs to get back from very rusty to normal.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:22:55 am »

I have no way to turn it off, but mitigating it is trivial. All it takes is two jobs to get back from very rusty to normal.

Actually that's not necessarily true. Tonight I had a legendary bone crafter that hadn't been used in about eight years take 6 decorations and 15 bone bolt tasks to lose the rust. I watched him for about an hour because I wanted to decorate something with a forgotten beast shell, which turns out to be impossible btw.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Black Bellamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:52 am »

Is that unreasonable?  I mean he didn't do didly squat for EIGHT years.   If I had a craftsman come over my house to put on a new roof and he had URIST McEXPERT ROOFING on the side of his van and he casually mentioned oh yeah I haven't touched a roofing hammer in like eight years, I would send his ass back asap.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:55 am »

Is that unreasonable?  I mean he didn't do didly squat for EIGHT years.   If I had a craftsman come over my house to put on a new roof and he had URIST McEXPERT ROOFING on the side of his van and he casually mentioned oh yeah I haven't touched a roofing hammer in like eight years, I would send his ass back asap.

It's a 'real life' hour of my time! How much responsibilty should he bear in letting his skill go unused? Axedwarfs and marksdwarves train. Why can't a bone crafter?

My latest forts:

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:45 am »

It's a 'real life' hour of my time! How much responsibilty should he bear in letting his skill go unused? Axedwarfs and marksdwarves train. Why can't a bone crafter?

I would support adding in training rooms of some kind for craftdwarves (or anything really) could double for teaching as well that way.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:17 am »

Another thing is that the items made by a legendary rusty dwarf, as I discovered to my horror, are usually of the lowest quality. In this regard, it seems that 'legendary rusty' = 'dabbling'. It's not like having a grand master quality instead of legendary.

My latest forts:

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:46 am »

It'd be nice if 'rusty' simply meant that items take longer to make until the rust is off, rather than horrendous in quality.  Even a roofer that hasn't roofed in 8 years isn't going to turn a house into a leaky shanty. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:35:45 am »

That almost sounds like a bug, rust should mean a slightly lower skill level not dabbling.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Black Bellamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:35:54 am »

The military trains but it doesn't use any materials.  They already have their weapons and equipment.  That's why they can fire-and-forget train all year if you want them to.

For civilian crafters to train they would have to use materials.  You can't practice bonecrafting without actually using up bones.   So if you had a training room for civilians you would be using up stocks just the same way as if you actually ordered them to make something.   In other words if you want your crafter to train, just have them make something once a season or something.   Same thing.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

It'd be nice if 'rusty' simply meant that items take longer to make until the rust is off, rather than horrendous in quality.  Even a roofer that hasn't roofed in 8 years isn't going to turn a house into a leaky shanty.

I think this is a great idea--its much more realistic and less annoying to boot.

I think quality could be impacted a bit by the rust factor, but not a ton. (Said roofer wouldn't be able to do an awesometastic job, but I agree he would do much better than an amateur.)

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51:15 am »

Not when he did nothing for EIGHT years! Even if he was the best at crafting before, when he does the work, he'll forget whether the bone is cut at 1/3 or 1/4. Sounds dabbling to me. Infact, throughout my fortresses, I would argue that rust is too LOW. When a legendary+5 gem cutter doesn't do anything for THIRTEEN years, he should have degarded into high master or less.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:57:57 am »

In other words if you want your crafter to train, just have them make something once a season or something.   Same thing.

For one thing, it seems to take a random number of item creations to get the rust off, my dwarf in the case above was really rusty, plus had an iffy memory which might have  explained the whole season spent getting rust off.

Secondly, remember there might be up to 50 dwarves who's skills you will want at some point. That adds up to way more busy work for the player than I want to do every season! It always sounds easy when your talking about one dwarf, but we manage forts of hundreds.

My latest forts:

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »

Rust doesn't degrade their skills in 13 years, so all it takes is a couple items. A dabbling crafter can make 50 in a month, so it's perfectly fine. It's not like we're short on metal, wood, and stone anymore.

Edit: Basically, what I mean is we have both time and materials. Every elephant produces 70ish bones, enough to unrust any crafter. I'm preety sure players have gotten MUCH less greedy in this version, many building walls and floors out of IRON. Even spoiler has become more common. Just train up on demans
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:22:37 pm by dree12 »

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »

Couldn't you just que up a few jobs every couple of seasons?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4