Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.  (Read 7319 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill (Rustyness) = Uhg.
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 02:16:55 am »

Ninja'd on the low population of possible patients. Incidentally, how many hospital cases actually need major surgery, even in a town of several thousand?

I don't bother with hospitals as treatment centers anymore, just as spare beds. I have such a terrible overpopulation of military dwarves (unskilled peasants too mentally deficient to be worth skilling up) and bins of extra weapons/armor that I just treat them as expendable. They're segregated on arrival into craftsdwarves and military dwarves by burrow anyway, so the only dwarves who miss them are also expendable-- and conveniently armored in iron should they prove more trouble than they're worth. That leaves only civilian injuries, which are almost if not completely preventable. I'd rather a craftsdwarf need replacing every decade or so than have doctors stockpile a hundred times the thread i wanted, sew it inexpertly into dwarves that are still permanently useless after they've healed because their arm nerves were torn, then have those dwarves die of infection anyway because they can't use soap.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »

Personally I think rust is bollocks, and de-skilling is actually contrary to science. Neurology says motor skills never "go away". It makes as much sense to have me micro a master into remembering his art as it does to have me press buttons to make him go pee, and another to pull his pants up.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:20 pm »

The worst with regards to rusty are doctors, hands down.

I think one issue here is that there's no opportunity to practice a skill.

Upright Spear traps, perhaps?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]