Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: What kind of music does Bay12 like?  (Read 15904 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music does Bay12 like?
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:22 pm »

You people are not hardcore enough. :P

Dude I can be super hardcore, sometimes I listen to Korn and System of a Down.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »

You people are not hardcore enough. :P
You know, I've never actually viewed music like that as "hardcore".  It always just sounds like a bunch of posers getting together to sound REALLY ANGRY 'CAUSE IT'S AWESOME!  Yes, so they play a kind of music that very few other people can imitate, but so do Flamenco guitarists.  And to me it just sounds like they're overbalancing on one side of the quality/quantity scale.

To me, something doesn't have to sound hardcore so much as it has to feel hardcore.  I particularly like songs that are really quite melodic and "mild" on the outside, but that positively seethe with emotional energy.  Growled lyrics just sound like someone with intestinal problems to me.

I've known a few death-metalheads, and they say you eventually just get used to the growling.  I maintain that I'd have to listen to it in the first place in order to get used to it.  It's just not my style of music.  I do recognize that they're highly skilled individuals in order to be able to play like that, but it's just not something I want to listen to.

But yes, that was a very good cover of Bad Company.

Mostly, I listen to classical music (symphonies, violin solos, etc.), Chinese opera, some OSTs, and a bunch of traditional music (Peruvian, blueglass, etc.).  Also some French ... pop, I guess?  I don't know what Daniel Lavoie counts as, now that he's 65 or something.  And stuff by Chitose Hajime ("island singing" in the Ryuku style).
Okay, now you're scaring me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:38 pm »

I actually prefer a melodic form of "hardcore" music, some of my favorites being done by Dream Theater and Rush. Yeah, it's cool to be able to scream your throat raw to get pumped for work, but nothing beats intense shredding.

I'd listen to more Dragonforce if every lyric wasn't hand dipped in ridiculous.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

Mostly, I listen to classical music (symphonies, violin solos, etc.), Chinese opera, some OSTs, and a bunch of traditional music (Peruvian, blueglass, etc.).  Also some French ... pop, I guess?  I don't know what Daniel Lavoie counts as, now that he's 65 or something.  And stuff by Chitose Hajime ("island singing" in the Ryuku style).
Okay, now you're scaring me.

:D

Yeah, that's the usual reaction I get... doesn't keep me from loving the stuff >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »

I love classical, favorites are probably Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. Mozart has some impressive tunes and his operas are great as well. I tried Irish stuff today, and well, you gotta love those violins.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »

I love classical, favorites are probably Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. Mozart has some impressive tunes and his operas are great as well. I tried Irish stuff today, and well, you gotta love those violins.

How about Bach?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

How about Bach?

Gonna go a step further. How about Strauss, Grieg, or Vivaldi?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

How about Bach?

How 'bout Handel, Haydn, and Chopin?  Dvorak?  ... Schubert?

... One of my favorites: Heifetz plays Vitali "Chaconne".

Tchaikovsky is fun to play, but not as fun to listen to--but I like the 6th symphony.  All of Bach's stuff is amazing, especially Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.  Hate Mozart more than I want to say.  Vivaldi is... meh to me.  Don't know Strauss or Grieg.  I like some of Chopin's piano stuff.  Haydn has a lot of terrible Mozart-esque things, but I like the Drumroll/Clock Symphony.  Yadda yadda yadda.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »

I'm teaching myself to play lead guitar, so I have no idea how to play any classical music (yet.) I did play some violin/viola a long ass time ago, so there's hope, but not much.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2010, 04:25:05 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdtLCfEcPL4
Peter Fox makes german pop music awesome +1.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »

I'm teaching myself to play lead guitar, so I have no idea how to play any classical music (yet.) I did play some violin/viola a long ass time ago, so there's hope, but not much.

Ah, I played classical violin for 9 years and wound up playing with these guys for a year or so :3  I wasn't all that good, though.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2010, 04:28:07 pm »

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

I'll generally listen to anything I enjoy, goes from Rammstein to Aes Dana to Bach... varies wildly with my mood. Some artists I'll listen to pretty much regardless though - Infected Mushroom, Rammstein, Queen, maybe a couple others.

For my "normal" moods I'll generally listen to some form of trance or dance etc.

As for what I absolutely can't stand... rap/R&B/etc (maybe just overexposure to it when I was still in school, place where I hung out had nothing BUT it on) and heavier psy-trance.
That and the Parlatones. And here's me South African too... :P
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

Ah, I played classical violin for 9 years and wound up playing with these guys for a year or so :3  I wasn't all that good, though.

That'd be kind of like me saying, "Well, I did Muay Thai for three years, and was on the tournament circuit for about a year, with a win loss record of 6-2. I wasn't really all that good, though." Chin up. Have some confidence in yourself and your skill. Obviously you knew what you were doing if you joined a symphony.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »

How about Bach?
How 'bout Handel, Haydn, and Chopin?  Dvorak?  ... Schubert?.
(Hope I got the quotes right...)

I was just naming some favorites, my list doesn't end there of course. Bach is brilliant, though, his music sounds a bit, uhm... Mechanical? It may be the organ that gives me this impression, I don't know. I've never really liked organs that much. Then there's Grieg's Peer Gynt, Mendelssohn's violin concerto, Italian symphony, Elijah, etc. Vivaldi has some great stuff too, I love his violin stuff.

Tchaikovsky is fun to play, but not as fun to listen to--but I like the 6th symphony. -snip- Hate Mozart more than I want to say.  Vivaldi is... meh to me.  Don't know Strauss or Grieg.  -snip-  Haydn has a lot of terrible Mozart-esque things, but I like the Drumroll/Clock Symphony.  Yadda yadda yadda.
That's quite a hate list. Who do you listen too. :P

Edit: I had this on my ipod untill a while ago. Incredible.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:40:32 pm by ILikePie »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13