Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 69

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 125901 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »

Roseanne reboot is here.

First episode, the first 15 minutes were extra-cringy jokes and very bad acting. The last 5 minutes though, everything seemed to snap into place and it was as good as ever. Which is modest praise at best...but still, I'll be watching more.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »

Finally watching The Knick. Wow. Crazy good. Clive Owen in one of his best roles--seriously, to rival Children of Men in his performance.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »

Whenever someone name-drops Children of Men, I sit up and take notice.
Is The Knick on Netflix?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:23 pm »

Sadly, The Knick is NOT on Netflix. (It's Cinemax IP oddly enough; funny story that, they basically cancelled it because it was too good of a show to be on Cinemax!)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2018, 10:20:12 pm »

I just finished The Magicians season 3. Really great finale to a good season. Season 4 is already green-lit! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Also, Legion season 2 just started, and it feels like it's going to be even better than the first season. Also way more weird and confusing, which was a pretty high bar.

The Mick season 2 just wrapped up, and was hilarious. I don't even miss Always Sunny any more. Just bring me more of this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2018, 10:52:19 am »

So, after seeing it and its enticing description on Netflix the other day (at first I thought it was just a movie), tonight (well, last night) I started watching The End of the F***cking World.
Oh, man.

* Yoink fans his face with his hands, blinking away tears.

This show makes me feel things.
This is like, the stuff I dream about, or perhaps one of those exceptionally nice dreams that I'm never likely to remember.
At first I had planned on waiting 'til I had a chance to read the graphic novel it's based on first, but the premise sounded so perfect that I couldn't resist dipping my toes in, and... now I don't think I'll be able to stop myself there. No doubt I shall be binging this at the earliest opportunity. So far it's living up to my expectations.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:03 am »

I think i might have mentioned it in another thread, but also Ash vs evil dead is on my list. Its an incredible throwback sequel series to the movies with bruce campbell reprising his role as ash. Srsly, if u liked the movies (even just army of darkness), give at least the first episode a try
My wife and I are watching this right now.  It's a guilty pleasure - it's so off-the-wall ridiculously gory.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2018, 07:31:29 am »

Season 2 started with three recap episodes back-to-back, which I've never seen anyone do before.
The only thing that comes to mind is the Endless Eight, which will likely never be surpassed as an example of just how lazy Japanese animators can be.

I just came across this post. In fact, it's not an example of laziness at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAEd17Tdro

^ This is an example montage. It's the same short scene in each of the 8 episodes where Kyon's sister tells him his phone is ringing. You can get a good idea of the difference in the 8 versions of the "same" scene. Making a list of what's different each time: camera angles, lighting, scene composition and cuts, what the characters are wearing and what they are doing, as well as background noise (e.g. in some they're watching TV or listening to music etc) and voice acting. Sure it's the "same" scene 8 times, but there was no re-use of animation, or voice acting in any of the 8 versions.

In fact, Endless Eight had much more attention to detail in it than most animes. Say they were animating that "phone" scene in a normal show, then they could just animate it in the simplest way possible,  and be done with it, and nobody would know. However, Endless Eight animates 8 version of the same thing completely differently each time. That required much more forethought and attention to detail than you'd normally have to expend in doing comparable scenes. "Ill-Advised" perhaps, but not "lazy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-7slHHrmI
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:29:45 am by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:00 pm »

I was actually enjoying the Roseanne reboot. But one stupid tweet, and now it's dead again. *sigh*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2018, 05:16:35 pm »

It was actually more than one tweet, but that one was the tweet that broke the camel's back.

e.g. previously she got into a thing with Chelsea Clinton by tweeting "Chelsea Soros Clinton" and when Chelsea replied she had nothing to do with the Soros' but there's nothing wrong with them, Roseane replied with a backhanded "apology" which ranted about how Soros was a Nazi "but we all make mistakes". e.g. she's been repeating some pretty hardcore right-wing conspiracy theories, about Soros as a evil puppet-master, a standard anti-semitic canard, spiced up by the "And Soros was in league with Hitler" stuff that's frankly preposterous.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, Roseanne had a thing going linking prominent Democrats and liberals to the Nazi party on top of the whole "black Democrats are terrorist apes" thing with that last tweet. It seriously was not just one tweet. Roseanne's gone off the deep end as an Alex-Jones loving Trump supporter:

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/29/17406014/roseanne-racism-abc-trump-twitter

This was not a first offense for Barr on Twitter (or in real life). Over the years, her language and ideas have weaved through all kinds of dark and bizarre territory. It’s not exactly consistent, either; it swings across the political spectrum, unified only by its extremity. She promoted Pizzagate. She believes 9/11 was an inside job. She flags vaccine conspiracy theories. She called Israel a “Nazi state” in 2009 and promoted a Holocaust-denying musician in 2013. Then she turned around and became a massive supporter of Israel (and a rabid opponent of the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement).

It just goes back to that old maxim "never meet your heroes in real life". In this case, twitter is bringing our heroes to us, and we don't always like what we're seeing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:24:38 pm by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2018, 03:10:03 am »

So I just watched Family Guy S16E19... Who else shouted "it's a gelding blow!"?!
let

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2018, 02:16:51 pm »

Just got started on Ash vs Evil Dead! It is fantastic!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2018, 02:49:18 pm »

Regarding my last post, Roseanne has been confirmed for a reboot without Roseanne, titled 'The Conners'. I'm glad we will get to see more of the new characters and find out how their stories unfold. Also more than a bit curious how they are going to remove Roseanne from the picture. She had an upcoming surgery, and a drug addiction, so they could easily kill her off or just stick her in recovery/rehab indefinitely.

I just finished watching Luke Cage season 2. I feel like this season climaxed too early, with the most intense action happening less than halfway through. The ending however, was very interesting, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the next season. Overall, the series is turning out a bit better than I expected from such a boring character, but it's still far from the best superhero story I've ever heard.

Also from the Superhero genre, I'm watching the ongoing series Cloak and Dagger. The characters are a bit whiny and theirs origins cliché. But their powers are interesting, especially as they are still being discovered. And somehow, each time the story starts to get boring, they throw in some unexpected twist that makes me want to watch more. Overall I'm enjoying the show thus far.

Another ongoing series that is quickly coming to an end, 12 Monkeys season 4. I honestly can't remember half of the references to earlier seasons and I'm fairly certain that most of this time travel stuff makes no sense at all...still though, interesting to watch and try to make some sense of what's happening.

About to start Lost in Space, knowing only that it has mixed reviews and has already been renewed for a second season. After that I'll likely be looking into the latest season of Bosch.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:00:00 pm by Folly »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2018, 02:54:51 pm »

I predict "The Connors" will do ok for a while and be cancelled within two seasons. I just don't see much to the show without a lynchpin main character.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2018, 06:22:16 pm »

That sounds about right.

I think the most successful one ever could be Laverne and Shirley (8 seasons) which followed two minor characters from Happy Days who appeared in the show 5 times out of 250 Happy Days episodes. Mork and Mindy (4 seasons) was also based off a one-episode character from Happy Days.

Notably, Joannie loves Chachi, which was based on regularly appearing characters was the flop. There were also a couple of series they made as deliberate tie-ins to Happy Days that flopped hard. The ones that worked were the unintentional ones where the audience liked specific very rarely appearing Happy Days characters so they later decided to spin them off into their own shows. Putting that in Star Wars terms, they'd have been better off making a Boba Fett movie or a Lando Calrisian origin movie, than the Han Solo movie. Han didn't need his own movie, he's over-saturated in three movies already.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:24:35 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 69