Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coward Civilisations  (Read 2568 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coward Civilisations
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:57 am »

So on my way to creating a world full of savage deserts, I encountered a little problem. There are, you see, definitely goblins around. And there's 7 kinds of dwarf to choose from.

But no humans. And, of course, no elves. Which angers me immensely, since I created non-savage forests especially for them to dwell in.

So then, help me with this: How can I ensure the presence of all four species? Dwarves need mountains, obviously, and elves need forests...but that's as far as my knowledge goes, and the wiki isn't exactly verbose on the subject. I already scaled the age cap on world gen back to year 2, and all that's placed is dwarves and gobbos, so it's not just a case of freaky extinction patterns.

I'm using PerfectWorldDF for the whole affair. Nifty programme.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Coward Civilisations
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:43:37 am »

Humies live on plains.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:15:55 am »

Also they won't live in savage areas.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »

Also they won't live in savage areas.

Is there any way to get civilizations to live in Savage areas? The way I see it, Elves shouldn't have any problem living there (they're flagged as being "at peace with the wildlife"), and Humans have always had a thing for setting up strongholds in the harshest locations as the first step in bringing 'civilization' to it.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »

Humans usually kill everything in sight, THEN set up their strongholds. Not very savage anymore once all the native wildlife is deaders.

So...humans live in grasslands, that is?
But why don't I see any elves? I've got plenty of non-savage forest to go around.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:28:10 pm »

As of 0.31.11 humans will spawn in forest as well as grasslands, so it could be that there are not enough civilizations being place in your world. Try increasing the 'number of civilizations' parameter to a higher number and see if that helps.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:44 pm »

As of 0.31.11 humans will spawn in forest as well as grasslands, so it could be that there are not enough civilizations being place in your world. Try increasing the 'number of civilizations' parameter to a higher number and see if that helps.

Actually, I think it's the other way around - if the computer is trying to place 200 civilizations in too small a space, it eventually just gives up, and doesn't even bother placing any.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:20 pm »

Try gening a larger world if your world is bigger the change that all civs survive is biger. If you overcrowd the space wars will break out and the already limit amout of civs will destroy eachother.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »

As said, it can't be wars, since there's no time for those.
The world size is 65x65, and with other setups this was enough to offer space for a variety of civilisations. It's still enough space - there were seven dwarven civilisations in my last gen, and several goblin ones, too. Can't be space either.

It must be biomes. Right now the parameters state that 15 civilisations are being placed, and frankly, the genning process rarely manages more than that, usually giving up between 12 and 15.

So...what biome parameters must be given for humans and elves? There's non-savage forests around, so that can't be enough.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »

So I've spent the better part of my evening trying to get al four types of civilisation in a single map, and fuck does it ever not work. I've had combinations of up to three, but right now I'm stuck with only dwarves and humans.

Is there any way to alter the biome requirements for civilisation placement?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:17 pm »

As said, it can't be wars, since there's no time for those.
The world size is 65x65, and with other setups this was enough to offer space for a variety of civilisations. It's still enough space - there were seven dwarven civilisations in my last gen, and several goblin ones, too. Can't be space either.

It must be biomes. Right now the parameters state that 15 civilisations are being placed, and frankly, the genning process rarely manages more than that, usually giving up between 12 and 15.

So...what biome parameters must be given for humans and elves? There's non-savage forests around, so that can't be enough.

Are you sure you aren't crowding out humans and elves by making too many dwarf and golbin civs?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »

I've cut the number of mountains down to very low numbers to match those of forests and planes, but there's still occasions on which I get seven flavours of dwarf but either no goblins, or there's one of the other two missing...
...have one successful gen right now. Had to increase map size quite a bit, but I also tripled the number of civs, so I can't imagine it to be an issue of crowding.

Still, this is ticking me off. I wish there was an option to ensure the presence of all different civilisations on the map :/

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »

Another major factor is island vs. conventional regions; from my experience, islands tend to have fewer civilizations because many of them wind up isolated or in close proximity on small islands, which presumably leads to their extermination either through war with each other or at the hands of a megabeast.

For example, I've pretty consistently seen either elves or goblins wiped out on island maps; on conventional maps, the only civilization wiped out has usually been goblins.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:55 am »

In addition to savagery, good and evil regions will also prevent civs from settling. What are your settings for good and evil regions? The large region setting can sometimes get out of control.

Also, if your are using PW, sometimes it's an easy mistake to check the savagery map box when you haven't actually specified a savagery map. This results in a map that is all max savagery.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:52 am »

I'm making a region with around 15 to 20 percent water coverage, and 50% savagery above neutral. Right now, all I get is dwarves. And humans on every third attempt or so.

:'(

Pages: [1] 2