Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No dodging to open space.  (Read 2658 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No dodging to open space.
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:25 am »

Currently, I'm seeing alot of guys dying from jumping off ledges. This is one area where skill gain is more likely to kill you than to help you. It seems to me that someone who is skilled in dodging would not be more likely to jump to his death.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No dodging to open space.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:35 am »

I can imagine that someone who is really focussed on a fight would be less aware of their surroundings. However, I could imagine a novice dodger is more likely to screw up than a master dodger. The novice is so focussed on dodging properly that he forgets about the 30 z fall next to him. Master dodger probably wouldn't (very often)
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:27 am »

But dodging into a river just before it freezes is every adventurer's FAVORITE way to die!

In any event, yes, this is one of those things that should basically count as a bug, and eventually, dodging off a cliff into magma becomes a far, far more likely way for a champion to die than by actually being hit by anything the enemy can throw at him.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:50 am »

Yes, the fact that dodging can be toggled in Adventurer mode seems to indicate that it is a conscious action rather than simple reflex.

Maybe reflex dodges and intentional dodges should be split?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:30:32 am »

But dodging into a river just before it freezes is every adventurer's FAVORITE way to die!

Ha! My very first adventurer in DF2010 dodged into a river and then drowned. My next adventurere spent an hour learning to swim in the ocean waves. Then I dodged into a river, and then wham! Instant solid ice!

My latest forts:

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »

Ha! My very first adventurer in DF2010 dodged into a river and then drowned. My next adventurere spent an hour learning to swim in the ocean waves. Then I dodged into a river, and then wham! Instant solid ice!
Why didn't you just start with 1 level in swimming that way you can't drown and won't have to spent hours.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »

Why didn't you just start with 1 level in swimming that way you can't drown and won't have to spent hours.

I did that on my third adventurer... He died when I was slaughtering an entire goblin fortress, and ran into a goblinized human miner. Mining picks cut through armor like butter.

My latest forts:

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »

Perhaps a dwarf's concentration and/or observer skills should affect whether a Dwarf checks to see if he would be dodging into an open space or not? The Dwarf could get a chance based on one or both of those skills to see if dodging would toss him into open space.  If he succeeds the roll, he will dodge to a safe spot if one is available.  If not, he will dodge to a random spot regardless of whether or not the destination is safe or a 50 z level drop.

Destroyer224

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Perhaps a dwarf's concentration and/or observer skills should affect whether a Dwarf checks to see if he would be dodging into an open space or not? The Dwarf could get a chance based on one or both of those skills to see if dodging would toss him into open space.  If he succeeds the roll, he will dodge to a safe spot if one is available.  If not, he will dodge to a random spot regardless of whether or not the destination is safe or a 50 z level drop.
That only eliminates like half the problem. How about the dwarf pulls some sort of "matrix dodge" and doesn't fall off the cliff because his squaddies just happened to occupy all the safe spaces nearby. You don't actually have to move your feet to dodge things, it's just a lot harder.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »

Well if you're about to take a circular saw to the face, avoiding being beheaded might take precedence over exactly where you're dodging to. I agree though, there should be a reduced (but nonzero) chance of dodging off a cliff, based on some skill. Although, spaces you can't (or 90% can't, for example) dodge to should also reduce your chances of dodging at all, and instead taking the hit if you don't dodge or have less dodge-options.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »

Well if you're about to take a circular saw to the face, avoiding being beheaded might take precedence over exactly where you're dodging to. I agree though, there should be a reduced (but nonzero) chance of dodging off a cliff, based on some skill. Although, spaces you can't (or 90% can't, for example) dodge to should also reduce your chances of dodging at all, and instead taking the hit if you don't dodge or have less dodge-options.

This should also include dodging into an occupied space. So you could accidently dodge into a wall, tree, or another enemy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:26 pm »

This should also include dodging into an occupied space. So you could accidently dodge into a wall, tree, or another enemy.

This is quite correct:  If jumping off a cliff is a "mistake" by a dwarf caused by lack of attention for one's surroundings, then one should have similar lack of attention for one's surroundings regardless of what those surroundings are. 

I have trouble believing someone would be LESS aware of an active volcano five feet to your right, sending up sulfurous plumes and plenty of heat than one would be of a tree five feet to your left, which largely just sits there.

If soldiers always recognize walls as impassible objects and never attempt to dodge into them, then it is simply a bug if they accidentally fail to notice anything else.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:05 am »

I also find it odd that dodging frequently change one's location (as oppose to simlpe duck/weave around attack).
Based on dwarf experience, additional check should be made that it doesn't dodge into dangerous terrain.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.