Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Empty Volcanoes - bad luck or can I ensure they're filled?  (Read 2479 times)

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Volcanoes - bad luck or can I ensure they're filled?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:20:12 pm »

Every time I remove the HFS in the worldgen, my volcanoes are empty. Set "Bottom Layer (Forces Magma)" to No and you should get them.

There may be other reasons, but I've only noticed them when I change that setting.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:23 pm »

This is in line with what I have seen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »

So... the magma sea feeds the pipes?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »

Every time I remove the HFS in the worldgen, my volcanoes are empty.

Really? I'll try enabling it and see if that fixes the disappointing performance of my volcanoes. ;)

So... the magma sea feeds the pipes?

If what Cephas says is true, it's not the magma sea but what's *under* the magma sea...

Oh, for anyone who is interested -

4x4
Temperate climate (snow in early spring)
Limestone
Empty Volcano - around a 40ish zlevel drop through the cavern layer to the magma sea.
Brook
Sand
Obsidian
Trees

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:27 am »

so wait, are there any cases of empty volcanos with HFS on?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:50 am »

so wait, are there any cases of empty volcanos with HFS on?

yup, I get empty volcanos all the time, with HFS on and off. they usually either have a flat level in one of the caverns, or are empty all the way down (and need refilling from) the magma sea. I once had a volcano which was level with the water level in the bottom cave (or maybe 1 level up, can't remember), just had an obsidian wall between the two, would have been nice for instant obsidian factory, but due to the fact it was 150+ levels below ground, and at least another hundred to the top of the sky (high z level variance in ground) and it was at least a 6x6 embark, the FPS was hideous, so I binned it.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 06:28:47 pm »

Turning HFS on did it for me, the next area I found had a nice, pretty, full of magma volcano. I noticed it didn't punch through the caverns either, maybe that helped?
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »

I just embarked on a wonderful desert/volcano site (can you see the glass coming?), and the volcano is empty...for about 10 z-levels above embark height. Then it breaks up. Below embark altitude, it's filled.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 07:12:58 am »

I just embarked on a wonderful desert/volcano site (can you see the glass coming?), and the volcano is empty...for about 10 z-levels above embark height. Then it breaks up. Below embark altitude, it's filled.

sounds perfect, should keep those damn fire critters out
Pages: 1 [2]