Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Empty Volcanoes - bad luck or can I ensure they're filled?  (Read 2481 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Empty Volcanoes - bad luck or can I ensure they're filled?
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:11:33 am »

I've been genning world after world trying to find a certain picky combination of biomes/features. I've found some areas which *could* have been suitable, but the volcanoes were empty down to the magma sea level (defeating the purpose of the volcano). Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to spend another couple of days genning and searching worlds to get lucky enough to find a full volcano?

I have one level of caverns and the magma sea turned on, and bottom layer turned off.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

nooblet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Volcanoes - bad luck or can I ensure they're filled?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:54:12 am »

If you want magma nearer the surface try changing volcanism values in world gen to around 75-100. Also you can set the minimum number of volcanoes to a high number, to ensure there will be plenty of volcanoes to choose from.

Did you actually embark on a proper volcano originally (it has a unique icon on the world map)? Other wise it maybe that you found a chasm and not an actual volcano.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:45 am »

I'm using a max volcano map, the "fun" I'm having is with being picky as to what is around the volcano.

They've all had the volcano double tilde in the closest zoom and ^ in the mid-zoom. I mostly get a hole in that punches through the one cavern layer to the magma sea some 70-100 z-levels below. The little worlds I'm genning have volcanoes and streams and not much else (deliberately trying to max the chance of finding them together).

I've just spent a couple more hours genning more worlds, found two more empty volcanoes. This is getting irritating, as they were otherwise perfect embark locations.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:10 am »

You've got huge 100 z-level shafts in the middle of your map and you're complaining? For shame!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:03 am »

It's a sign that you have to build your fortress in/around them. :o

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:10:04 am »

So wait, how exactly does one create a world with empty volcanoes, because frankly, that sounds amazing. I’m thinking dwarvenly complex systems of bridges across the expanse, a constant waterfall of prisoners…Yum.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:21:26 am »

Empty volcanoes?... Never encountered them. Oh, the things I could do in them...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:30:16 am »

I have had similar issues. I have also noticed a distinct lack of [LAVA] stone surrounding the pipe. The first time I found this, there was an extra dose of "underground lake spilling into magma sea" that made the map nigh-unplayable, even with cave-ins set to not pause or recenter. (I used the same cavern settings as you)

Then I genned without caverns. Same issue, no [LAVA] stone, no lava, exposed magma/lava sea desperately trying to refill. I'm leveling the map to pass the time until the volcano fills (if it doesn't, the volcano is getting trimmed to ground level too).

Perhaps the lack of HFS?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:36:41 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:24 am »

Clearly, this is what you must do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eh22nIFZQU
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:19:22 am »

Got this same problem the one and only time I embarked on a volcano. Lots of nice rock spires and mountain, and the moment I unpause, I get the cave in, magma sea and cavern notice. zooming reveals a tall, empty magma pipe, the cavern water draining frantically into the magma sea and forming obsidian, and the magma sea frantically attempting to reveal. Abandoned it for fps reasons... so I wouldn't know if the pipe might ever refill.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:56 am »

This is from 40D days, but doesn't magma refill up to wherever you pump it too?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:28:19 am »

No, it refills to the top of the pipe, but that may be irrelevant, given how the pipe only half-forms (no [LAVA] stone, open to caverns). It may not be considered a true magma pipe, preventing it from refilling.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:43:31 am »

This weekend I was trying to get a good volcano site, probably embarked on a dozen different volcanoes, not a single one was empty...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:53 am »

Perhaps something is wrong with your version of dwarf fortress try to upload it somewhere for people who want to have empty volcano's and then download a new version of df.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Right, next time I get an empty volcano I'll curse and then post the seed. I think I actually have a save knocking around my backups which is 3x3 with obsidian, flux, sedementary, running water (when it defrosts) and possibly sand...
Pages: [1] 2