Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary Platinum Axe  (Read 3635 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Platinum Axe
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:13:56 am »

As I understand it the heavier metals are the best for blunt weapons but not so much for edged weapons. One of my weapon smiths felt he needed to use my limited supply of platinum to make a battle axe. But as platinum isn't a normal weapon metal I've got no idea just how that's going to work out. Will this axe do well in combat or would I be best just to forbid the item to prevent some one from getting killed and losing the axe?

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Platinum Axe
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »

And now I have a legendary Steel Mace....
When I noticed that the guy was likely to build a weapon and his first metal gathered was steel I was a bit excited. But no, now I have two legendary weapons crafted from inferior metals based on their weapon type. 

I find if rather fitting though that the steel mace shows in its description the image of the platinum axe.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »

A steel mace isn't BAD. It's just slightly worse than bronze. A platinum axe, on the other hand, wouldn't sever as much BUT will hit with much more force (F=m*a, a is the same if you're as strong as the dwarves are.), thus would work quite well in bashing and penetrate much deeper.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »

No one I've asked (and boy have I) has the slightest clue how well a platinum axe will behave (axes use blade and blunt calculations and platinum makes a good blunt but a poor blade), so give the axe to someone and tell us what happens! FOR SCIENCE!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:29:38 pm »

High density seems to be a desirable property even for cutting weapons, platinum is unimpressive but not horrible with regard to structural strength and all metals bar adamantine can carry the same edge. I'm not certain at all about it, but my guess would be quite bad against armoured foes, possibly better than regular weapons against unarmoured ones.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:26:00 pm »

my guy made a legendary platinum spear....

just before.. not sure how that will do

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:30:09 am »

A steel mace isn't BAD. It's just slightly worse than bronze. A platinum axe, on the other hand, wouldn't sever as much BUT will hit with much more force (F=m*a, a is the same if you're as strong as the dwarves are.), thus would work quite well in bashing and penetrate much deeper.

Are you sure that a bronze mace is better than steel? All my tests(.12) favoured the steel version. I led groups of medium-skilled iron-clad dwarves fight each other, one faction using bronce maces and the other steel. The latter always won.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:34 pm »

so my new platinum axe is worthless? Doh!  Moods rarely get it right, so how well do they work against armored foes?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »

Steel maces are actually second only to silver maces, and those not by much. The differences between the metals for blunt weapons are slight (except for adamantine; hitting things with cotton candy sticks works about as well as you'd expect).

Platinum, unfortunately, won't work well for most of an axe's strikes. An axe is far more likely, IIRC 100x, to strike with the edge than with the flat or pommel, and only flat and pommel strikes get the benefit of the massive density that metal has.

If you had the foresight to install a display case mod, use the axe with it to provide large value in one of your noble's room. Otherwise, drop it somewhere it's unlikely to get stolen, forbid it, and forget it; it's mostly useless.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:43 am »

Oh come on, it's a weapon. That means you can install it in a weapon trap to boost room value. Not sure if it'll be admired though.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:21 am »

If only it was a platinum warhammer..
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:37 am »

There is no single superior material for blunt weapons among the regular options. Differences are subtle and apart from cotton candy, each may be best in specific circumstances (even iron - it's more rigid than steel). In general, I'd go for quality over material. In a tie, I'd take the densest material for better anti-armour performance - against soft tragets, other weapon types will be more relevant anyway.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:15:25 am »

If only it was a platinum warhammer whip..
fixed

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:41 am »

I would've thought that a platinum axe would be quite good. Instead of being super useful against unarmoured targets and useless otherwise, it should now be a very reasonable weapon against both armoured and unarmoured. Plus, being an artifact, you're unlikely to go wrong.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 06:05:01 am »

Yeah, and even if its a rubbish weapon I would give it to my best axelord for style points. Its a platinum axe. Awesome. Efficiency be damned.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2