Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HFS  (Read 3879 times)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:05 pm »

so, for grins and giggles I dug a stairway waaayy waaaaaaay down.. past/around Caverns 1, 2 and 3, and found the Magma Sea, and eventually found the beautiful blue stuff. I lucked out ( ??? :o), and only had 3z levels of it before I got the great messages regarding the thread's namesake. My FPS plummeted faster than Obama's ratings. :O

Before the "Oops" i was sailing along at roughly 40-50 FPS, while after I was stuck at 5-10. After condeming my poor miner and walling off the mistake, down ti one FPS..

..Why? I'm seeing references in here of "Old" and "New", and I think I had found an "Old" one here. I've ruined the surprise and read some spoilers containing "New" ..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Are these any better for NOT destroying your FPS ?

My main concern is that it feels as though the only possible "End Game" other than losing (Which is truthfully both fun and Fun) is to destroy your FPS and see if your processor can withstand the heat.. kind of like a tribute to all those poor souls overclocking their machines to play Crysis (...and resulting in losing their machine to fire, and maybe even their houses).

Thanks!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »

What I mean is sealing off their respawn point  :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49:09 pm »

Once you first gaze upon the dark stone of hell itself, your fate is to either fight the demons, or seal them and die FPS death.  If you kill the first wave, however, you are free to seal hell back up; the rest of the demons will wander like animals, and only attack dwarves opportunistically.  The FPS death is from first wave demons attempting to path into your fortress.
Curious structures represent a better starting point for your anti-demonic war, but won't help your FPS as far as I know.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »

Oh, not just sealing hell. Sealing the *specific tile* those demon guys spawn from.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:20 pm »

Once you first gaze upon the dark stone of hell itself, your fate is to either fight the demons, or seal them and die FPS death.  If you kill the first wave, however, you are free to seal hell back up; the rest of the demons will wander like animals, and only attack dwarves opportunistically.  The FPS death is from first wave demons attempting to path into your fortress.
Curious structures represent a better starting point for your anti-demonic war, but won't help your FPS as far as I know.

Oh! That's really good to know! :P

Now then, on my new embark, I'll know what to do to those bastards. :P

Thanks!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:59 pm »

Oh, not just sealing hell. Sealing the *specific tile* those demon guys spawn from.

After the first wave spawns (in midair, typically below an adamantine vein... not necessarily the one you pierced) new demons are treated like animals, and can enter from any edge tile.  So your best bet is to seal off Hell, or, if you want a megaproject, sealing off a portion of Hell from the slade floors to the semi-molten rock ceiling.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »

Gah. I'd rather make a fighting stand than to die an FPS death  :o

Pages: 1 2 [3]