Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HFS  (Read 3888 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: HFS
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:08 am »

you need to know what hfs stands for...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 04:26:43 pm »

There's a new kind of fun too, larger, and found about where you'd expect to find it.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »

Man, I am WAY too security-conscious to breach HFS intentionally.  Lord help me if I hit the cavern without having prepared for it - that thing gets walled off immediately.  You should see me try and set up magma workshops.  it's all done in fits and starts since anything - even a fire snake - makes me run away.  It's like watching a dwarf try and drink from a carp-filled river:

KrunkSplein cancels Magma Workshops: Scared by movement

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »

Why? Just go to the magma sea, dig out a 3X by 3Y space, channel out one tile in each 3x3 space (top center for a furnace, center right/left for a forge) and build the workshops. I worry about building destroyers, so I take comfort in the fact that things above them are immune.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

Actually, this is really weird now that I think about it. Why would the best material ever be so common?

It might be common overall but given the demonic consequences of digging too deep (and the difficulty of reaching it) only a very small amount ever makes it out in to the world.  Plus, given its value a lot of it would be used by the fort for its own purposes rather than export, so that stuff is trapped down there with all the &'s unleashed by it...it would take an intrepid adventurer or small army to fully pacify the area and get it up and running again.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 02:29:38 am »

Put beds and a food and drink stockpile down there and have the workers seal themselves in before they start digging. If all is well after you have a small batch, have them seal up the holes and unseal the mining area to bring the ore up. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »

Oh, oh, not to necro, but one more question.

What if you flood the HFS with magma?

What if you flood it with magma and water? >:D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 06:25:09 pm »

Nothing. &'s are immune to the good stuff. Some even fling it at you now.
Don't know. Try it FOR SCIENCE!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 06:35:11 pm »

Instead of several thousand worth of archetecture you check your stocks for a single masterwork ademantine weapon.  The existance of one on embark means you got yourself a nice new HFS.  Have fun exploring it.  :D

You can also notice it if your FPS after embark is 2x lower than usual :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »

Well...I heard of aquatic Titans swimming through grates, somehow... :P
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've heard that some can (gaseous, I think), but since they're randomly generated now, it's impossible to know what the game will throw at you. Some also may be able to attack in ways which pass through fortifications (fire, dust, etc). So, while that would be awesome, it might not work quite so well.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 12:27:40 pm »

Flowing water can push things through fortifications, even if it is only flowing a little, like, for a well or something. It seems to be more likely with fast moving water though. Best to use a combination of fortifications and wall grates, and L-shaped plumbing tunnels so building destroyers don't get a line of sight.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 03:55:11 pm »

I thought someone posted in another HFS thread that even though the demons are listed as unnumbered in legends, in game they actually stop after awhile, or at least come slowly one by one after awhile.

Also, do you think that sealing it up and killing your FPS was intentional in design?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 04:01:33 pm »

They come one at a time, so you CAN make the bottom layer safe. However it totally depends on the RNG and the demon types.

Also, please put the "SPOILERS" in the thread name.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 07:10:53 pm »

Nothing. &'s are immune to the good stuff. Some even fling it at you now.
Don't know. Try it FOR SCIENCE!
Obsidian sealing, if that's what you mean, is an instant KO for anything the tile, demons included.  The trick is setting the weapon up and enticing demons into it.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb
Pages: 1 [2] 3