Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training (40d)  (Read 389 times)

Shanks13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Training (40d)
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:08:44 pm »

Every time I play a fortress, I notice the same two problems with my military.  Inevitably, one dwarf out of each squad trains ridiculously slowly.  For example, I've 3 grandmaster axemen and one competent axeman.  They all started training at the same time, in the same squad, with the same equipment.  What gives?  The other problem pertains to xbow training.  I've got the squad outfitted with crossbows and an archery range is all set up, but they won't use it.  They've got quivers, I've got bone arrows available, but they run over, glance at the targets, then walk back into the barrack to "spar."  How can I deal with these two problems?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training (40d)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:47:23 pm »

Edit.

I'm very stupid and can't read.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:09:55 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:33:26 am »

Wait, this is .40d, right? Are you training them as wrestlers first?

If your crossbowmen aren't shooting at archery targets in .40d, it's because they've got something else in their hands from wrestling. You have to find what it is in their inventory, and dump it.

Shanks13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:55:07 am »

It is indeed 40d, and yes, my dwarves all get legendary in wrestling before I put a weapon in their hands.  However, I do not believe they have anything in their hands, as I mark all clothes on military dwarves for dumping before wrestling begins.  As a result, no clothing is ever removed, for whatever reason.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:22:54 pm »

Um. I've never done that... (though I see the logic, you don't want messy barracks)

I know that when the economy kicks in, the non-armor clothing gets marked as owned by a particular dwarf, and dwarves don't dump owned items. As a result if the dwarf is gripping an item somebody else owns, he'll never let go and won't ever shoot a crossbow. When I play I put all wrestlers in leather asap mostly to train armor use, but I guess it also has the side effect of making dwarves less likely to deathgrip a privately owned piece of clothing.

Oh. As for the other question which I forgot to answer. Check and make sure your slow-training dwarf hasn't got brain or spine damage. 40d dwarves with nervous damage won't spar – though they will practice-shoot. However a legendary wrestler + competent axedwarf is not much less powerful than his legendary/legendary buddy in that he's still going to outclass anything he faces.