Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expanding Body Glosses  (Read 1257 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Expanding Body Glosses
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:19:18 pm »

Alright, this is a suggestion to make bodies more interesting in combat.
Let's take a look at your average humanoid.
They've got limbs, head, upper and lower bodies...
It's the last two that are the bland part. On an upper body you've got your chest and upper back. On the lower body you have your lower back and your belly.
You can try to rename it out, but you're left with the problem of having to choose to call the lower body the belly or the lower back.
You can't tack on bits around it to call it 'lower back' or 'belly' because the game just won't work that way.
To lend understanding, this is why you can stab a lower body and hit organs.
*hit lowerbody*  *check to see what is attached to lower body and are inside it* *potentially hit those too*
It will only affect those things that are connected directly to lower body, and are within it.
Now, the problem with adding a belly is that you connect it to the lower body, and it won't be internal. This means not only will hitting the lower body never hit the belly, but that hitting the belly won't have a flowthrough effect on the lower body.

So, to get around that, I suggest something of a merge between body glosses and the body positions.
For instance: [BODYGLOSS:BELLY:lower body:belly:lower bodies:bellies:FRONT] and [BODYGLOSS:LOWERBACK:lower body:lower back:lower bodies:lower backs:BEHIND].
So instead of 'Human 1 strikes Human 2 in the lower body from behind', the 'lower body' part will be altered by the 'from behind' condition, so will read 'Human 1 strikes Human 2 in the lower back from behind'
Potentially allow these bodyglosses to have multiple sides attributed at once, ie.  [BODYGLOSS:BELLY:lower body:belly:lower bodies:bellies:FRONT:LEFT:RIGHT]
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Body Glosses
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble trying to see the problem this tries to solve.

As far as I can tell, this is a problem of not seperating the back from the front, but considering as there is no facing, and all hit locations are random, I don't see why there would be reason for concern in the first place...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble trying to see the problem this tries to solve.

As far as I can tell, this is a problem of not seperating the back from the front, but considering as there is no facing, and all hit locations are random, I don't see why there would be reason for concern in the first place...

Well, since there is facing, body position orientation, and combat text describing various hits from front, side, and behind, I'm inclined to disagree. I know that facing and positioning might not be fully implemented yet, but they're there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:45:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure hits from different angles don't actually affect what gets hit, is the point. I could be wrong, but... I'm pretty sure of it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »

I'd rather see this, honestly.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »

I don't know why you're saying "rather"; it's not like they're mutually exclusive ideas.

A better notion of relative location and size, and combat being able to strike more than thing at once, is definitely planned. I can't think of any quotes to dig up at the moment, but I know Toady has mentioned it before. This is all a part of that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

I played adventure mode and fought a minotaur completely with attacks from behind.
(He'd charge, I'd dodge and hit him in the back)

This would add some awesome variety, methinks.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:03 pm »

I'd rather see this, honestly.

That's pretty much an entirely different idea with a completely different function. This is just a conditional text substitution, based on the direction the game says you're hit from.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:14:56 pm »

This extended Body-glosses would also be helpfull for more accurate Animals. A (Red) fox has, as easy to understand example, red fur on his Back and white on its "front" atm Df cant simulate this (so the fox is red/brown all over) or related stuff like different skin/scales materials tissue thickness etc.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:05 pm »

Actually, modding that in is entirely possible. However, it basically requires you manually do the entire body hair assignment individually, and have two lots of 'hair' tissue'. So there are unintended side-effects.