Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!  (Read 6223 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brooks, oh detestable brooks!
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

Is there any way to reduce the number of brooks (without loosing actual rivers) during world gen?
Or at least some crafty tweak to exclude brooks from the embark finder's "rivers: yes" setting?

I hate brooks. Seriously.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks, oh detestable brooks!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:35 am »

Settle further downhill.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:45:02 am »

Why? I mean, they are not rivers, but they are mcvh better than nothing and you can tell them apart from rivers from the embark screen.

Why on earth would you detest brooks?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:26:23 pm »

Because the finder keeps feeding me brooks when I want real rivers. Then, when I go check downstream, all my other finder settings (evil, savagery, temperature, flux, elevation, aquifers) get thrashed, so I have to keep checking tile for tile. It's a tremendous hassle.

Seriously, brooks. WTF.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:41 pm »

The finder sure could differentiate, but....

1: There's not really much difference between brook and river.

2: The site finder is pretty pointless in DF2010 anyway. It won't show you magma pipes and pools and there are there are no chasms or underground rivers (wile UG lakes are almost guaranteed with normal settings). The rest (including volcanoes) are pretty darn easy to spot simply by look at the map, unless you made an unnecessarily large one.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »

I've been noticing that actual rivers are pretty rare in my worldgens anymore.  I look for a real river on every map, and the best I've found is one single river on one of my 31.10 maps, and that was an otherwise undesirable location.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »

We then conclude that the finder is crap. Are there any tools out there one could use in its stead?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

We then conclude that the finder is crap. Are there any tools out there one could use in its stead?
Nope.

And frankly, even if there were, it wouldn't be much better.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 01:04:10 pm »

But why does it matter whether it's brook or river?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

Nowadays, every 3x3 site has magma and HFS, the rest is labeled, so the utility of the site finder has dwindled to nothing for me.  Even in 40d I rarely used it because it was slow and only gave me the first suitable spot, rather than a *list* of sites.

One reason to want rivers over brooks is to get macrofish and hippos, not just vermin.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

Try genning a region-style world rather than island-style.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »

quadruple rainfall, and add way more mountains and hills?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »

Larger worlds increase the appearance of rivers. Also, learn to differentiate them visually on the embark map.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 02:50:05 pm »

Heh, I found a river 7 tiles wide at it's thinnest point. It zigzags through my map :D

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 04:48:41 pm »

Hold on. Rainfall. Hills. Mountains.
I usually make my worlds so they sport as many flat deserts as possible, so...yeah...my bad on the world gen side of this.

Still, the finder. It's totally useless and all the good stuff is underground? What a sad day for aboveground fortresses.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4