Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: Dwarf Foreman 0.7.2 - Tool to automatically dispatch jobs to your workers  (Read 113066 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Posting to follow future updates. This looks like an extremely useful tool.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

OzoneGrif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for your efforts :)

Tell me, does your tool check if a job has a source available before sending orders ?
When you say it will be able to cut every gems, does it check if the gem is available ?

PS: forsaken1111, I play Die2nite too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:16:22 am by OzoneGrif »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

PS: forsaken1111, I play Die2nite too.
I'm not currently active in the game, taking a break. Its not a bad game though and I did enjoy my time with the last bay12 town.

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone interesting in working on dfjobs.xml?

Hi Devek. I've done some work on dfjobs, adding half a dozen new jobs to it as I've needed them. But I've run into difficulties when it comes to automating bag creation - how to specify 'cloth'. It is easy to, for example, specify barrels out of 'wood' so they don't run out but I cannot work out a way to specify generic cloth when creating the 'box'('bag'/'chest'/etc).

Some jobs require a material, you can specify wood, bone, other, on inorganic. If you specify other or inorganic you also need to specify which other or inorganic material. Other is a hard coded list.

How do I specify 'cloth'? Or "anything that was based off the THREAD template and so now appears with 'thread' in the item list"? Nothing I've experimented with works - I can only get either queues of UNKNOWN_MATERIAL chests or an outright crash of Dwarf Foreman.

Unfortunately the Foreman Utility 'test.exe' seems bugged. That is, the items, materials, reactions and vectors works but the jobs button is broken. It just prints "Queue Base: 0 Queue Pointer: 0 Queue Size: 0". If I could get the output of the current job queue I could take that and see how the manually input "make cloth bags" job looks.

There is a slightly different problem when it comes to smelting. I can have iron automatically created from the various ores easily enough. And it knows to trigger when bars of iron are low... but what it doesn't seem to understand is that the jobs it has already queued are going to produce iron bars! This is in contrast to smelting STEEL (which is a reaction). It knows that it does not need to queue more steel production because it can count what it has already done.

I'm loving the tool by the way. It is a good start and useful so far particularly for furniture.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Foreman 0.7 - Tool to automatically dispatch jobs to your workers
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:37 am »

Hmm.. I guess I didn't think about cloth bags.

Ya, there is no way to specify it. I am sorry and will fix it for 0.7.1. 

test.exe shouldn't be bugged.. it really should show the current jobs in the manager queue, but I may have broke it lol. I need to update that part of the code to be accurate toward what is in foreman anyway, so it will be looked at too. That being said, you couldn't use it to tell you what a "make cloth bags" job looks like because its only purpose is to show me the bytes in DF's memory.

The problem with smelting I think, is that you have different jobs that produce the same thing. So if you need 3 more iron bars, it will start a job for smelting hematite, limonite, and magnetite. It looks at each job individually and isn't smart enough to know they all produce the same thing. That is simply something I haven't added a check for yet. However, if you're saying that you're only smelting magnetite and it keeps queuing more and more jobs for it, well that is a bug.

Finally, thanks for the feedback. I love it :)
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »

However, if you're saying that you're only smelting magnetite and it keeps queuing more and more jobs for it, well that is a bug.
This, unfortunately. Sure, it does the "8 each of hematite, magnatite and the other one" thing too but that's to be expected (and in some ways desirable, like when you happen to have run out of one of them but have a few each of the others). But if you have them all checked it'll go and add another one of each to the queue every 60 seconds. :P

I'm looking forward to the 'cut all gems feature' you mentioned too. Queueing up repeat orders for each kind of gem every 5 minutes as I mine more is a damn nuisance. It'll be particularly handy if you implement it via a 'reverse' tag of some sort. Which means I could also tell it "just smelting the damn ores if and when I find any!"

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

The problem with "Cut all gems" is that I thought some strange moods occasionally required UNcut gems, and I wouldn't want to plow through that whole stockpile.  "Cut all but x gems" would be nice, where x could be a number or a type of gem.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2011, 07:31:56 am »

The problem with "Cut all gems" is that I thought some strange moods occasionally required UNcut gems, and I wouldn't want to plow through that whole stockpile.  "Cut all but x gems" would be nice, where x could be a number or a type of gem.

Agree. Fortunately 'all but' is very nearly as easy to implement as 'all' - since all the logic is in the utility itself, similar to what is already there and easy to represent as analogous to 'ensure at least'. Mind you the situation as it stands does 'all' for single gem types anyway. The 'f' key comes in handy. ;) Of course it would be kind of convenient if you didn't have do do that manually or reclaim just incase when some nutty dwarf is hunting for stuff! Now we're getting really lazy. :D

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2011, 07:46:57 am »

Actually, it isn't that more complicated to do "all but" than "all". The job decision code is very flexible. You guys need to decide on one though, because the UI will be more clear and concise that way.

The material processing code however isn't haha. I just fixed a bunch of bugs in it. While specifying a "make leather bag" or a "make cloth bag" job is going to be trivial, the <item> tags will have to account for each type of organic thread, or each type of organic log when dealing with boxes. I haven't figured out how to look at an organic material and determine if it is wood or cloth. I'm going to dick around with it for a little bit longer and if I don't have any luck I will just just push the complexity into the dfjobs.xml file instead of the code. This takes priority over everything else at the moment IMHO.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:56 am »

Well, turning 'all but' into 'all' is just a matter of typing in a zero, and the other way around isn't actually possible, so I'd say the choice is clear :P

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2011, 10:08:35 am »

It is ok, I accept the fact that I am stupid when it comes to the obvious.

I could do algebra before I could tie my shoes :/

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

0.7.1 - Added silk, cloth, leather, and yarn material types for job matching. Separated boxes and chests as items while ignoring full ones. Fixed inorganic job bug.

This should address all the issues you raised wedrifid, also if you really want you can PM me your google account name and I can give you access to modify the official dfjobs.xml :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Is the auto-designation of trees/bushes back in? I haven't had time to play DF lately so haven't checked.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

No sorry, I am working on it though. When I add that feature back it will be version 0.8, so just keep a look out for that hehe.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

No sorry, I am working on it though. When I add that feature back it will be version 0.8, so just keep a look out for that hehe.
Will it be foreman controlled? Like will I be able to tell it to keep 50 logs on hand at all times and have it designate all trees until I have 50 logs in stock?

Also, have you considered implementing a tiered production management system? Like I order 10 beds but foreman sees that I don't have 10 wood, it queues up fell trees until I have wood to satisfy all current jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32