Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Dwarf Foreman 0.7.2 - Tool to automatically dispatch jobs to your workers  (Read 112990 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

Edit2: Ha, he was right. I still don't quite get it(20 years of experience with C, maybe 2 weeks of experience with c++), but now my program is using dw2 for both and exceptions work fine.

What did you have to change to get it to use dw2 for both dfhack and the qt gui app say if I used the steps you listed to get them both to compile in qt creator that you posted in the dfhack thread? I'll try to google it but I'd though I'd ask here as well.

Qt creator comes with the same gcc that it was compiled with.

I uninstalled mingw from my machine, added c:\qt\2010.04\mingw\bin to my path, and compiled dfhack.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Reverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been using 4.5 for a while and everything seems to be working except that I notice certain jobs I add myself get canceled. Off the top of my head I think the "make soap" job always gets canceled. Also maybe a custom reaction I have gets canceled if I add to the job manager list but not if I just add to a specific workshop. This isn't a big of a deal; however, the make soap cannot be done any other way.

Anyways, can't wait till the next release and thanks for responding to my earlier question. I got everything worked out, just got to worrying that what you had problems with would bite me in the butt as well :P   

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, that is something I noticed too. If some things were set to 0, and I'd do a manual task, it would get removed. For example, by default all "make adamantium wafers" are removed. Maybe foreman should start with everything unchecked? Or maybe just not remove tasks if the foreman monitor is set to 0.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

Hard to get much done with a two year old trying to spill dr. pepper on my laptop...

Canceling jobs you added is normal if that job would normally be handled by Foreman, in the next version nothing will be enabled by default. That being said, foreman does know the difference between jobs added automatically or manually and I could make it leave manually added ones alone.

The soap and adamantium wafer thing is something I didn't see happening and is totally a bug lol, so thanks for pointing that out.

I got rid of everything being hardcoded and have made an xml file that defines the items from here on out, so you should be able to add things you need before I get around to adding all 500 or so possible manager jobs.

It is the gui that is kicking my ass right now, the qt tree view isn't doing what I want.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Reverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got rid of everything being hardcoded and have made an xml file that defines the items from here on out, so you should be able to add things you need before I get around to adding all 500 or so possible manager jobs.
Awesome!!! Can't wait to get a hold of this.
It is the gui that is kicking my ass right now, the qt tree view isn't doing what I want.
Yeah I was screwing around with the table view earlier but I didn't last long. Good luck with that.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ

Just one minor suggestion - would it be possible to load the preferences automatically on startup? Preferably those used at the last session.  :P
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh SNAP!

I'm assuming you have an xml flag for different sorts of items? Like trap discs would require one function, and managing drinks (drinks being an aggregate term) would require another.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:23:28 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

Not exactly.

It works just like the manager, so when you try add a job from the manager screen, Foreman will need an XML entry for each thing. You need to define a list of itemids that job could create and in situations such as the mill a list of itemids to forbid while the job is active.

The real bitch will be adding custom reactions... Since the id for those may be different fort to fort. I can do it though..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:04:25 pm by devek »

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

It's all totally wrong.

The whole approach is wrong and doesn't work.

There is no guarantee the jobids or itemids will be the same on different forts.

The good news is, once I write code to search and find all the jobs/items there will be no need to configure or add anything. Bah.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like this program so far, but I want this program to become more of an "advance manager" screen that I can make orders just like I do in the game, be able to automate some of the goods, and will always craft, even if I don't got the items for it (so it won't remove off the screen), and be able to override the number limit order via let say... 60 doors, it splits to 30 doors, 30 doors. If you guys can make that, then this mod will be a massive must-have mod, just like Dwarf Therapist.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

It's all totally wrong.

The whole approach is wrong and doesn't work.

There is no guarantee the jobids or itemids will be the same on different forts.

The good news is, once I write code to search and find all the jobs/items there will be no need to configure or add anything. Bah.

I can't wait, it will be very useful once you can actually make it find the items in memory and set it up to work.
and then I can run it and leave it so it runs 300 years of fortress awesomeness(traps, cage, magma moats(surrounded by water!))
and just to make sure I said it, that this is perhaps more useful than dwarf therapist for the lazy fortresser.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:33:52 pm by jaked122 »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not just for the lazy, either.  Managing a populous, advanced, or particularly unspecialized fortress can get outright complicated and time-consuming.  This simply improves efficiency by an incredible percentage.  Too bad it can't automate partial logging, like "I want this many logs," but I can also see the many problems with coding it for that.

But seriously.  This has unfathomable potential.  It's the kind of thing that needs to be base interface once your fortress gets to a certain level, or your manager is competent enough, or something.  Until such a thing occurs, however, I'm more than happy to keep using the new Dwarf Foreman for my managerial needs.  :D
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

Ok, i'm a little bit stuck on figuring out how it DF lists all the possible manager jobs.

I can list the custom reactions just fine... but the hard coded ones are eluding me.

Any hackers out there bored and wanna take a shot at it?

Reverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm interested in checking it out but I wouldn't say I was anywhere near a hardcore hacker.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

It may not be that hard, sometimes we get stuck on something stupid and a fresh set of eyes is all it takes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32