Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Dwarf Foreman 0.7.2 - Tool to automatically dispatch jobs to your workers  (Read 113006 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

How does that work? Will it simply spam 'melt object' jobs forever or does it detect how many objects are set to melt and are not forbidden?

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That depends on how TOTAL of a conversion the mod is... Foreman expects certain materials(like iron) to exist, and won't work if they don't.
Does that apply even if you remove absolutely everything from the dfjobs file? That is, does your tool rely on iron, etc, as some kind of reference point that will break things even if you go out of your way to prevent any reference to it when running your tool?

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

How does that work? Will it simply spam 'melt object' jobs forever or does it detect how many objects are set to melt and are not forbidden?

It is just a job. If you enable it, and click all it will queue a job for every item you have marked to be melted(but not forbidden obviously).

That depends on how TOTAL of a conversion the mod is... Foreman expects certain materials(like iron) to exist, and won't work if they don't.
Does that apply even if you remove absolutely everything from the dfjobs file? That is, does your tool rely on iron, etc, as some kind of reference point that will break things even if you go out of your way to prevent any reference to it when running your tool?

It doesn't have anything to do with dfjobs.xml, but the raws of the game itself. It searches through game vectors for the iron material, and when it finds that it knows everything else in that list is an inorganic material. I might be able to find a way to support a TOTAL conversion that doesn't even have iron, but it isn't high on my list of things to do hehe. I mean, even Dwarf Therapist doesn't work if you go all out on modding your dwarfs.

EDIT: Dffd finally came back up, so I was able to test corrosion specifically and foreman already supports it :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:31:55 am by devek »
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I might be able to find a way to support a TOTAL conversion that doesn't even have iron, but it isn't high on my list of things to do

There is one way - use DFHack and ask it for the locations of the relevant vectors.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

I'll get right on that, lol.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Cave Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congratulations, your mod in main mod list now! ;) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0

IMHO, more jobs are more important than cutting trees. Maybe i will use this option for short period for fast cutting because this is some dangerous for my tree cutters. But not all time.

I really need jobs for rock pot, rock blocks, rock and metal thrones and tables, rock and metal coffins, rock, metal and wooden cabinets, shearing, spinning, milking, milling, cooking, construct mechanisms.
Weaving cloth (!), silk and Pig tail Robes, socks, trousers and other things. Also needed trap components from various metals (copper, silver and etc), not only steel.

Backpack and quivers, barrels and buckets, weapons and armor from various metals are also very important.
This is a list of most important jobs, i think.

Dwarf Foreman is a very useful mod. But when Dwarf Foreman will have this jobs, it would be miraculous and very important mod.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:09:39 am by Cave Man »

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep in mind that you can take 2 minutes and add your own jobs to the dfjobs.xml file.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

This must be what it feels like to be a member of the senate right now, "Where are the jobs!" hehehe.

I haven't got much work done adding DF jobs because, ironically?, I have been busy looking for a job myself. They will all get added in due time.

I have also decided to scrap extra features entirely and just finish on adding the rest of the jobs so that I can work on my next DF project, which will be an overhaul of the UI.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So I'm never getting my tree cutting? :(

Oh well, I appreciate your work either way.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

You'll get it, just in my next tool hehe.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep in mind that you can take 2 minutes and add your own jobs to the dfjobs.xml file.

I once believed it wouldn't take that long, and took a stab at it.  I found that my lack of xml knowledge wasn't even much of a barrier (though this may be due, in part, to experience with other programming languages).  But when I got to certain parts of the job definition (specifically the "type" number), I discovered that I didn't know what to put there.  Or how to find out what to put there.  While I'm sure I could figure it out with a little more time and research, it was a considerable road-block at the time and I haven't tried since.  Took me at least half an hour just to get to that point, and I wanted to play the game more than code.  :p

Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

There should be a readme file that comes with Foreman that describes the types and such.

Don't worry too much about it. I have been distracted by some other DF related utilities I am working on, and if no one volunteers to finish dfjobs.xml out in the near future I will sit down and and just pound em all out in the next week or so. Making the jobs is easy, and can almost be automated but testing their source and item tags requires an actual fort and effort.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

an honest question: if the task can be automated, why not toss from the xml all the jobs that can be deducted automatically?

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile

almost was the key word :P

wedrifid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There seems to be a minor bug in 0.7.3 wherein you cannot just make things that have sources in the way that you originally could. You first have to check 'make all except target' then uncheck it again. Then it seems to work fine.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32