Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reverse Burrows  (Read 3987 times)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reverse Burrows
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:12:02 pm »

I want to be able to designate areas that dwarves cannot be assigned to never go to, similar to the current burrows but the opposite. For example, if I currently wanted to make a "Nobles Only Legendary Dining Hall", I would have to create a burrow that included the entire map on every z-level except for this one room and then assign every non-noble dwarf to it. I want to be able to just create a reverse-burrow encompassing the nobles-only room and then add all non-noble dwarves to it, which would forbid them from ever entering that area. This would be much quicker than how it is currently set up.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Burrows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »

mabe its just me but i read that like 3 times and still dont get it

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »

He wants the ability to set certain dwarves to be UNABLE to enter specific areas.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

Like... a burrow with a blacklist?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:44 pm »

If I understand, yes. Like disallowing all non-nobles from an area, for example.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 09:06:07 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61185

Yeah, preety much. It'll be really helpful, but I would rather have a large chunk of burrow imporvements with the ability to force dwaves in AND exclude dwarves out, and more.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »

Reverse burrows would be nice to keep dwarves from running in someone's house and drinking their booze because it was the closest food source and they hadn't been assigned their own burrow yet.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »

Add one or both of these option to burrows:

Whitelist (all dwarves forbidden by default, add dwarves manually to allow them; migrants will be automatically forbidden; new family members (only spouses and children) of dwarves already allowed will also be whitelisted, but can be removed later)

Blacklist (all dwarves allowed by default, add dwarves manually to forbid them)

In addition to:

Normal (define a burrow that works the same way it does now)

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:19:04 am »

I'd LOVE to be able to stretch a 'no not cross' line when I'm setting an area with magma, or I want my dwarfs to stay inside. ... Come to think of it, one-way zones would be darn handy. ;D
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:56:13 am »

Hells yes, I'd love to be able to paint a simple "stay-the-feck-out" burrow at the entrance of my base rather than tediously paint the entire interior with a "emergency stay inside" burrow (or a quicky painted inside burrow + have all my jobs cancelled)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »

I usually have stockpiles of stuff I want semi-forbidden- emergency food supplies, nether-cap/bloodthorn wood, medium-grade armor I only create to train my smiths...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:42 am »

The way I would like burrows to work:

Each burrow has one of four functions:

Labour inclusion: If a dwarf is on the list for any labour inclusion burrow, he may not take a job with an endpoint that does not lie within a labour inclusion burrow for which he is on the list. Useful for keeping the master mason away from construction sites when he should be making furniture.

Labour exclusion: If a dwarf is not on the list for a labour exclusion burrow, he may not take a job with an endpoint that lies within that burrow. Useful for stopping miners from harvesting.

Security inclusion: If a dwarf is on the list for any security inclusion burrow, he may not travel through an area that does not lie within a security inclusion burrow for which he is on the list. Useful for designating the entire interior of a fortress plus outside areas considered safe.

Security exclusion: If a dwarf is not on the list for a security exclusion burrow, he may not travel through an area that lies within that burrow. Useful for desginating areas where your about to breach water or magma or cause a cave in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:29:11 am by TheBeardyMan »

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:59:55 am »

A "do not cross" burrow would be really helpful after I use the "all dwarves come inside" burrow, because right now my dining hall and food storage are on different floors, and I'd like the dwarves to be able to use both in a siege; and for that matter use the rest of my fortress without running suicidally outside.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:13 pm »

How about just a burrow with a toggle.
Only allow those on list.
Only forbid those on list.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 01:38:58 pm »

Sweitx, an excellent suggestion!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2 3