Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: International Law Concerning the Declaration of Independence by Kosovo  (Read 1383 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The International Court of Justice has today declared that Kosovo's declaration of independence was legal. Worried about the prospects of this ruling being used to justify other secession movements (such as South Ossetia), I decided to wade through the dry legalese being used to justify this desicion by the Court. I am only a layman, so my views on this ruling are likely wrong, so I need a legal scholar to make sure. International law is very important, even if it has no practical application whatsoever to international politics.

The question that was posed to the court was: “Is the unilateral declaration of independence by the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government of Kosovo in accordance with international law?” The court has clarified that it has been asked only this: It has not been asked if Kosovo's secession was legal. It has not been asked if Kosovo have acheived statehood. It has not been asked if people have the right to seccede from another state. The court was asked only if the declaration of independence was 'in accordance with international law'.

The court has found that declarations of independence was generally in accordance with international law.

During the eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, there were numerous
instances of declarations of independence, often strenuously opposed by the State from which
independence was being declared. Sometimes a declaration resulted in the creation of a new State,
at others it did not. In no case, however, does the practice of States as a whole suggest that the act
of promulgating the declaration was regarded as contrary to international law. On the contrary,
State practice during this period points clearly to the conclusion that international law contained no
prohibition of declarations of independence.

Some people argue that declarations of independences are an implict violation of the principle of territorial integrity, however, the court has declared that the principle of territorial integrity only apply to relationships between States, and thus is not applicable.

Certain declarations of independences has been condemned by the Security Council (Northern Cyrpus, Republika Srpska, Southern Rhodesia). However, the Court argued that these condemnations were done for other reasons.

[T]he illegality attached to the declarations of independence thus stemmed
not from the unilateral character of these declarations as such, but from the fact that they were, or
would have been, connected with the unlawful use of force or other egregious violations of norms
of general international law, in particular those of a peremptory character (jus cogens). In the
context of Kosovo, the Security Council has never taken this position. The exceptional character of
the resolutions enumerated above appears to the Court to confirm that no general prohibition
against unilateral declarations of independence may be inferred from the practice of the Security
Council.

The Court does not wish to address the concept of "remedial secession" as it was only asked to decide on the legality of the declaration of independence.

Finally, the Court focuses on Kosovo itself. The United Nations has passed many resolutions on Kosovo, including creating a Constitutional Framework for Kosovo. There was debate over if the Constitutional Framework was a part of international law; some people argued that the Constitutional Framework of Kosovo was a part of domestic law, and thus the court should not decide on the legality of a domestic matter. However, the Court stated that since the Constitutional Framework was created by Resolution 1244 and has its power due to international law, that the Constitutional Framework is itself a part of international law. The Court also held that the Framework have very limited powers according to Resolution 1244; the goal was to "establish a temporary, exceptional legal régime which, save to the extent that it expressly preserved it, superseded the Serbian legal order and which aimed  t the stabilization of Kosovo, and that it was designed to do so on an interim basis."

On 17 Feburary 2008, the "Assembly of Kosovo" one of the Provisional Institutions of
Self-Government, established under Chapter 9 of the Constitutional Framework, published a declaration of independence.  The Court stated however that the Declaration of Independence was not done by the "Assembly of Kosovo", but rather as "persons who acted together in their capacity as representatives of the people of Kosovo outside the framework of the interim administration".

Security Council resolution 1244 did not explicitly condemn any declaration of independence of Kosovo. It is not unreasonable for the Security Council to make demands on entities other than States and intergovernmental organizations, stating that the Security Council has made many demands on the Kosvar Albanian population. It has also pointed to Resolution 1251, passed 19 days before, which stated that “Cyprus settlement must be based on a State of Cyprus
with a single sovereignty and international personality and a single citizenship, with its
independence and territorial integrity safeguarded”. In Resolution 1244, "the Security Council did not reserve for itself the final determination of the situation in Kosovo and remained silent on the conditions for the final status of Kosovo.". The United Nations Security Council therefore did not prohibit declarations of independence, as if it would have wanted to, it would have explictily condemned it.

The declaration of independence was not issued by the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government (for example, the National Assembly), as doing so would violate the Constitutional Framewor, by urusuping powers that was not granted to it. Instead, the declaration of independence was done by people who were doing so outside of the Provisional Institutions, and thus were not bound by the Constitutional Framework. (By the way, this is the part of the ruling that bugged me the most. Judge Skotnikov, who was dissenting from the opinion stated: "Finally, the authors of the UDI are being allowed by the majority to circumvent the Constitutional Framework created pursuant to resolution 1244, simply on the basis of a claim that they acted outside this Framework ... The majority, unfortunately, does not explain the difference between acting outside the legal order and violating it. [This was in a summary of the Skotnikov ruling, a full list of summaries of judicial opinions for this is here.])

10 justices voted in favor of declaring that Kosovo's declaration of independence was legal. 4 justices voted against. The court case itself was a non-binding advisory ruling.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:42:05 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Wait, so the declaration is legal but the secession is not? I'm not sure what they're saying here.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

The ICJ is ridiculous. "The court case itself was a non-binding advisory ruling," says it all. The only thing which determines political sovereignty is the ability to prevent others from taking it from you.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, so the declaration is legal but the secession is not? I'm not sure what they're saying here.

To make it clear: The Court was only asked if Kosovo's declaration of independence was legal under international law. It was not asked if Kosovo's declaration was valid.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: International Law Concerning the Declaration of Independence by Kosovo
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:45:35 am »

I couldn't care less if Kosovo becomes a "legitimate" de-jure internationally recognised nation or not but I do have a warm place in my heart for Nagorno-Karabakh for their awesome Dwarf Fortress style flag

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:13:19 am »

I think the gist was "Well...we can't find anywhere where there's an international law AGAINST declaring independence." Ergo, if there's no law against, it's not illegal by international law. It may still very well be illegal under Serbian law.

Laws regarding secession, even domestic ones, are usually a bad joke anyways. In the former Soviet Union, the right for each SSR to secede from the USSR was explicitly allowed under the Soviet Constitution. In practice, prior to 1990 any attempts to do so would have been dealt with harshly. Even US laws regarding secession are murky. The CSA was ruled illegal, but this was mostly after the fact (1867, to be precise). If the CSA had won, the ruling might have been different. As Nikov pointed out, de facto control of your territory is the most important determinant of "legal" statehood. Possession is 9/10 of the law, as they say.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:20 pm »

If USA has recognized Kosovo's independence, does that mean that South can secede now?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:42:17 pm »

If USA has recognized Kosovo's independence, does that mean that South can secede now?

I hope they do.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:46 pm »

But then who's gonna... uhm... where will you get... uhm...

I got nothing :(

Just what do you guys keep them around for?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »

Winter vacations. I mean, seriously...who the hell goes, "Hey, you know what I can't get enough of? Shoveling snow! I think we should take the family to Minnesota this year and spend our Christmas trapped in a small fishing shack on a frozen lake for two months!"

That, and comic relief.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »

America keeps the South around for the same reason Europe keeps the Balkans.

Glass houses, DJ.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:15 am »

They don't keep us around because they want to, they just can't shake us off.USA, on the other hand, had a perfectly good opportunity to dump South and it didn't.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:57:57 am »

Bah, the South won't secede because "the South" doesn't exist anymore.  Easy transportation and the exchange of information has led to a much more homogeneous culture. The notion of the South as an entity is just a cultural memory now that is becoming increasingly archaic.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:32:54 am »

Bah, the South won't secede because "the South" doesn't exist anymore.  Easy transportation and the exchange of information has led to a much more homogeneous culture. The notion of the South as an entity is just a cultural memory now that is becoming increasingly archaic.

*looks askance at Satarus*
'Yew ain't from around here, are yew boy?'

As much as I'd love to buy into the New South idea, even I admit that there's still a whole lot of Old South hanging around. Get more than 20 miles outside of a major city, and it's a different world. I mean, they have cable and Internet (sometimes) and such, but they're very specific in what information they pay attention to. Just because they have access to MTV, CNN and YouTube doesn't magically catapult them into cultural homogeneity. Especially if all they watch is FOX News, CMT and whatever channel the race is on.

Likewise, just because they can easily drive to the nearest city doesn't mean they WANT to drive to the nearest city.

The South won't secede for a variety of reasons, but failure to possess a regional character is not one of them. I prefer some of the reasons cited in this venerable Onion piece:

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:12 pm »

Worried about the prospects of this ruling being used to justify other secession movements (such as South Ossetia),

Why would you be worried about secessionist movements? Shouldn't people have the right to form a new nation if they so wish? Obviously, they would need to have a clear majority (I would say 60%, but that's just me postulating out of my ass), and not be violating any human rights or international laws.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?
Pages: [1] 2