Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: International Law Concerning the Declaration of Independence by Kosovo  (Read 1380 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: International Law Concerning the Declaration of Independence by Kosovo
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:23 pm »

Worried about the prospects of this ruling being used to justify other secession movements (such as South Ossetia),

Why would you be worried about secessionist movements? Shouldn't people have the right to form a new nation if they so wish? Obviously, they would need to have a clear majority (I would say 60%, but that's just me postulating out of my ass), and not be violating any human rights or international laws.

Maybe he's a Georgian living in South Ossetia? Just saying....there's two sides to the whole "minority right of self-determination" thing. Unless you have a region that is 100% homogenous, someone's going to get screwed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

...someone's going to get screwed.

One of the facts of life.

While I would sympathize with people in that situation, if the majority wanted independence then there's not much they can do. Hypothetically, I would say that areas in S.O where most people wanted to stay with Georgia should be allowed to do so, but I imagine that the ethnic groups are too intermingled to allow such an event to occur.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

Exactly. If you do that, you wind up with exclaves all over the place and an environment ripe for further armed conflict.

Although it does remind me of one of my favorite Onion articles of all time: Northern Irish, Serbs, Hutus Granted Homeland In West Bank

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 11:27:20 am »

Worried about the prospects of this ruling being used to justify other secession movements (such as South Ossetia),

Why would you be worried about secessionist movements? Shouldn't people have the right to form a new nation if they so wish? Obviously, they would need to have a clear majority (I would say 60%, but that's just me postulating out of my ass), and not be violating any human rights or international laws.

I am afraid that unilateral declarations of independence would just lead to more chaos and violence (see Balkanization). I'm not against independence, but I prefer having the forces fighting for independence negotiate with their oppressors for independence. Sorta like the Treaty of Paris, where the United States signed a treaty with the United Kingdom.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »

I think that negotiating independence would of course be the best course of action, but if people are really being oppressed/are in bitter conflict with the other ethnic groups in the country then I don't think there's any way they would become independent without rising up and/or enjoying massive foreign support/sanctions against their oppressors.
(Wow run on sentence)

If they were let free peacefully, then I think the country would probably be peaceful, reasonable, and democratic enough that people wouldn't want to leave except in certain cases such as most of their kin living in another country and wanting to join with them.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?
Pages: 1 [2]