Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!  (Read 56896 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2010, 06:31:31 am »

About every single LP thread ever has a discussion about Surge's references to war, etc. Anyway, even a Rattata's Hyper Fang or a Butterfree's Poison Powder could possibly kill, so about stuff like Gyrados' Hyper Beam would indeed be equivalent to nuclear weapons as an analogy. So any war involving Pokemon would quickly become a race to attack first, not a war of attrition.

Also Retro, you could have tried Mach Punching Altaria or Countering an attack with Breloom, or Stun Sporing if Breloom has it. Also, level up that Aron quickly, because you'll need surf for winning the next badge.

United Forenia Forever!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2010, 06:44:00 am »

I didn't have a chance. Breloom got Aerial Ace'd before a Mach Punch ever connected, and OHKO'd. I hate priority moves.

I am also rapidly becoming aware that my entire team is weak to Earthquake. Which the Claydol at the next gym uses nothing but, and at a pretty high speed. And the one non-weak pokemon is Breloom, who's half-fighting and weak to psychic. Looks like I have more training to do.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2010, 06:55:27 am »

Your Vibrava should have Levitate, which makes it immune to ground-type moves like Earthquake. Hopefully, your Vibrava should have Crunch, or you could go for a STAB'd Dragonbreath (I think Vibrava has Dragonbreath).

United Forenia Forever!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2010, 07:20:30 am »

Yeah, even with Crunch being super effective and Dragonbreath getting STAB, neither attack is doing much damage to Claydol at all, who continues to destroy my whole team - and Psychic can OHKO Vibrava :\

My real issue is that the pokemon who can actually take down Claydol are too slow to act before he murders them. So I'm training primarily to get quick enough to out-attack it.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

Oh, you're on that Gym too retro? I just beat it, BARELY!

Started with Skarmory and Vulpix- CPU started with Xatu and Claydoll
My Vulpix just learned grudge and I was like, SWEET! Now I can get rid of that annoying ass earthquake! First turn, one shotted by Xatu, fuck I says. There goes my plan! I drag out my Shiftry to replace Vulpix and spam growth (this part is very important!). I have my Skarmory focus on the Claydoll while both Xatu (Calm mind=SP ATK/DF+) and my Shiftry (Growth=SP ATK+) focus on buffing their stats. Eventually Xatu's all like, "FUCK IT!" and one shots Skarmory with Psychic.

Voltorb and Shiftry- Xatu and Claydoll
At this point Shiftry's been taken a few hits from Earthquake they don't deal much thanks to the part grass. Though, Shiftry could only survive two more hits by that time. Voltorb out, I use rollout and to my surprise, deals a decent amount of damage to Xatu. A hyper potion changes that :\ then I have Shiftry use Bullet Seed, BAM! Hits three times on that Claydoll, and if there had been a critical; maybe all of my pokemans wouldn't be seeing stars! The CPU uses a Hyper potion on the Claydoll.

Voltorb and Shiftry- Xatu and Claydoll
Two Hyper potion downs (CPU controlled trainers can only hold three items), things were looking up! I decide to use a revive on my Skarmory (I should've had Voltrob used spark ::) ). Xatu one shots Voltorb with Psychic. Swampert out! Bullet Seed but Claydoll still stands! Another Earthquake Shiftry is in the red! I use Swampert's turn to heal Shiftry. The CPU also uses its last Hyper Potion on Claydoll. Xatu one shots Swampert with Psychic. Shiftry then bullet seeds the hell out of that damn Claydoll and it's down! (Five hits one critical 8) )

Skarmory and Shiftry- Xatu and Solrock
By this point I decide to go for broke. My Skarmory is dragged out and I use that turn to revive Swampert (those revives sure did go to waste!). Xatu one shots Skarmory and Solrock uses Sunnyday to my surprise. Swampert is dragged out and Shiftry uses Bullet seed. Solrock almost goes down from that attack! I don't know why but next turn I revive Skarmory with Swampert's turn. Xatu one shots Swampert with Psychic. I can't remember what Solrock did that turn but it was down after another Bullet Seeding from Shiftry! The CPU is down to it's last two pokemans Lunatone and that damn Xatu!

Skarmory and Shitry- Xatu and Lunatone
Anyway, Xatu one shots Skarmory again and Lunetone decides to use Calm mind. Shiftry Bullet Seeds Lunatone and almost takes it down. All I'm left with is my Girafarig and Shiftry at this point. I decide to have Girafarig use Astonish on Xatu it flinches! Lunatone uses another Calm Mind but a Bullet Seeding takes it down!

All that's left is Xatu! Girafarig tries another Astonish, no flinch, one shotted by Xatu. Shitry does a faint attack and down goes Xatu! I WIN! Ugh, and for the record, I try my best to not use items but I guess I panicked a lot on this Gym :P . I also avoid leveling up like I do in most games but I had to gain a few levels for this gym. The average pokeman level was about 38.

edit: I should really be doing more important things right now
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:20 am »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:58 am »

Finally beat Tate and Liza. Solrock and Lunatone were actually complete jokes, IMO. I found the initial Xatu/Claydol combo to be devastating, though. Swalot's Ice Beam was freaking amazing against Claydol, doing 90% damage where nothing else could touch him, and repeated uses wasted away all TnL's potions. Kind of risky sending in a Poison type against a Psychic leader but eh, needed to be done. And just like Creamcorn I focused all efforts on Claydol first (so my weak-to-earthquake guys were safe) then inadvertantly took out Solrock and Lunatone while trying to kill the merciless Xatu's Psychic attack :|

Onwards!!!1

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:07 am »

Finally beat Tate and Liza. Solrock and Lunatone were actually complete jokes, IMO. I found the initial Xatu/Claydol combo to be devastating, though. Swalot's Ice Beam was freaking amazing against Claydol, doing 90% damage where nothing else could touch him, and repeated uses wasted away all TnL's potions. Kind of risky sending in a Poison type against a Psychic leader but eh, needed to be done. And just like Creamcorn I focused all efforts on Claydol first (so my weak-to-earthquake guys were safe) then inadvertantly took out Solrock and Lunatone while trying to kill the merciless Xatu's Psychic attack :|

Onwards!!!1

How did you manage to avoid having Claydol OHKO Swalot with Earthquake? Also, Surf works well here, given that it hits both opponents. In case of Xatu, you could use Manectric against it.

United Forenia Forever!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:47 am »

I don't know how Swalot lived. He had a lot of HP and really god special defense, I guess; he tended to only take 60% damage from Earthquake and I had him use Yawn on Claydol, so he only took two Earthquakes (and a heal in between) before it was safe to Ice Beam its face off. And yeah, Manetric would've been good, but Earthquake OHKO'd him every time; the starting pair managed to take out the other three on their own once Big Clay kicked the bucket. Aggron used Surf a few times too later, but it didn't do that great damage; guess because he doesn't have STAB.

Incidentally, once you're all done this LP, feel like running a battle vs. my team? :D Not actually against me, but I've seen a few programs where you can build teams, and make a copy of your team to fight against an AI copy of my team. Unless I'm mistaken, which could be probable.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2010, 04:07:10 am »

Hate fighting Tate and Liza.

In my Emerald LP, this was my team that first time I fought them.

I got up Cacturne and Shiftry up to level 37 but they thoroughly destroyed me.

Next time round, I got them dudes up to even higher levels as well as replacing Pookie with my Magneton.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2010, 07:57:30 am »

Shitry
Ha!

They can be pretty decent. Though the one I caught has crappy dappy speed compared to the average base stats. I don't care though. I loves it.

Though at some point, I will try to breed for a better one. Not to mention bullet seed is full of win.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:32 am »

I think it was a spelling mistake anyway, considering his Shitry won the match for him.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:14 am »

Update 25: The Jungle Is Neutral
Recap: In the last update, Big Stu turned off a power generator for no real reason.

Time to actually proceed with the plot!

Now, Route 118.

This is about the entirety of the route before we had Surf…

But here’s the other side!

And a fisherman gives us a fishing rod for no real reason!

Reporters seem extremely eager to attack bystanders…

Joe gains a level!

Exciting!

Huh…

If I remember, fishermen are weak trainers…

Retro made it through almost unharmed!

Aren’t we meeting now?

And then he teleported away?

Sitrus Berries are the best HP-restoring ones, healing 30 HP.

And north is Route 119.

The most notable thing is that all grass is tall grass here.

Also, constant meteorite showers. Or rain, but that’s more boring.

Tall grass isn’t really that hard to traverse, though.

Oh really?

Wait, Wingull are an endangered species!

Lugnut levels up despite being paralyzed!

A narrow slippery railing over a raging river?

Obviously, the best course of action is to ride over it!

Also, hopping from rail to rail without falling!

Detours aside, here’s a really long bridge. It somehow supports itself without a single support column, despite being made of logs tied together!

Oh look more tall grass. How surprising!

Moggo levels up!

Can’t resist!

A bed!

Oh wait, the place is full of pirates!

It doesn’t matter, though!

Well, duh! Why would I be here?

Pirate chick battle!

And you’re disgustingly weak!

Because your grunts are blocking the road? It’s supposed to be a public place!

DON’T INTERRUPT ME!

You might want to heal your Pokemon first, seeing as they’re all unconscious!

Also no thanks to you.

Wait, you had a Pokemon? WHY DIDN’T YOU JUST BATTLE THEM?

I felt this was a slightly more appropriate name given the gender.

So that’s how you predict the weather!

Mystic Water powers up Water-type moves, but Esteban doesn’t believe in some mystic bullshit.

The bridge is clear!

Wait what-

Sure victory!

Antlion > Lava Slug

Racoon > Water Monkey Thing

Guess what?

Screw you, type disadvantage!

See?

May throws loot at us!

How did you appear out of nowhere?

Also, you don’t make sense!

And then there was a solar flare?

Well, east then!

And finally at Fortree City!

United Forenia Forever!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:51 am »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:02 am »

Whaaaaaaaa?

How did she evolve straight?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34