Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?  (Read 5557 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »

No. Large gems are more likely with higher skill.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 02:55:57 pm »

First I have to ask: What's wrong with gem crafts? The answer is nothing. Gem crafts have the same value as an improvement of the same quality. This applies to large gems as well. And in the event that your mayor mandates large gems, you can just have Urist McLegend cut cheap gems to bide time while you set up the drowning rig.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:55 pm »

First I have to ask: What's wrong with gem crafts? The answer is nothing. Gem crafts have the same value as an improvement of the same quality. This applies to large gems as well. And in the event that your mayor mandates large gems, you can just have Urist McLegend cut cheap gems to bide time while you set up the drowning rig.
The fact that you can't use them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 05:05:04 pm »

Use them for what?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »

Quote from: wiki
Small clusters of rough gems can be found strewn throughout the mountain. Cut gems can be used to encrust furniture, crafts, and ammunition, to create windows and as a source material for legendary artifacts. In addition, raw rock crystals are required to make crystal glass goods. Gem encrusted weapons and armor can be found in game, but cannot be made in fortress mode.

The majority of these gems can be brought by and requested from the dwarven caravan, in both cut and rough form. Humans are capable of bringing glass gems, also in both forms.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Gem#ixzz0upRtlYOa
Next time look things up before you say people are wrong.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36:36 pm »

Cut gems can be used for artifact making?  That's odd.  I just had a dwarf pick up a rough gem and make something out of it.  I guess it is possible that both could be used, but the wiki has a rather disturbingly high rate of fallacy, due to the vast numbers of very helpful people who don't actually know anything.

...and the discussion doesn't say anything about it.  Hmm.  But yeah, cut gems can be used for encrusting stuff to make it more valuable.  This could be encrusting a throne to make a room more impressive, or it could be encrusting a stack of bolts to buy out everything from the caravans (if that still works, of course.  I haven't checked it recently, he may have fixed it).  Also windows (windows that cycle their colors at that, allowing you to make giant animated images in your forts).

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »

Cut gems will be used. It depend on the mood. Sometimes they will want 'rough colour'. and use rough gems, sometimes they want the cut kind. Sometimes i have seen them use both.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:52 pm »

All of this has gotten the song "Rough Gem" by Islands  stuck in my head. At least it's got a dwarfy name.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »

I've definitely had dwarves in 40d who were demanding cut gems, not rough gems.  Seems unlikely that changed recently, but who knows.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2010, 08:44:56 pm »

encrusting a stack of bolts to buy out everything from the caravans (if that still works, of course.  I haven't checked it recently, he may have fixed it)
Fixed indeed.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »

And the Doctor could be a noble, except he actually DOES something!
sorry for being a grave robber, but I actually got his joke. Donna noble!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »

So, gem cutter goes fey, grabs a bed beryl and starts his mysterious construction. I sigh, "ooh, another perfectly cut gem, how simply fraking marvelous. Worth 4200 dwarfbucks. Lovely. Thanks."

I come back later. He has built a red beryl coffin. Out of ONE GEM. He is now a legendary gem cutter, which would be cool... if that was in any way USEFUL. It is almost as useless as legendary woodcrafters, I have NO use for those guys.

Still one gem is now a whole coffin. It must be micrometres think, one gem cut it infetesimal strips and built together to make a coffin. Wow. Just wow. 48000 dwarfbucks. Not bad.

do you know how much value you can add with masterwork gems?  get a legendary gem setter, and trade one finely decorated item for an entire caravan.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:01 am »

He is now a legendary gem cutter, which would be cool... if that was in any way USEFUL. It is almost as useless as legendary woodcrafters, I have NO use for those guys.
make 1 bar worth of gold or platinum crafts every season, and let this guy set gems in the resulting works.
sell those 3 items to the caravan and buy EVERYTHING YOU WANT and then some.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2011, 03:45:59 am »

I rarely encrust anything with gems. I simply sell cut gems.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]