Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?  (Read 5559 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 02:48:05 pm »

If he can cut a gem in a way that makes it larger, no wonder he's legendary.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 03:41:06 pm »

maybe we're looking at this the wrong way and the gem is really just trapping their soul? or its been carved into a dyson sphere.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 03:57:07 pm »

maybe we're looking at this the wrong way and the gem is really just trapping their soul? or its been carved into a dyson sphere.

A dyson sphere? As in, a large super-structure built around a star?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 04:27:29 pm »

And your dwarves can watch 'im decompose without the miasma!

"Look ma', his eyes caved in!"

:P

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »

A dyson sphere? As in, a large super-structure built around a star?

Honestly I know next to nothing about them, and i realized that i actually probably used the wrong wording/forgot to add something, I forget, however  My bad, I wasn't paying attention to what i was writing to see if it made sense.

I was sort of thinking like in the Halo EU where there's a dyson-sphere/clown-car type thing which has a sun in, it and is really damn big on the inside, but on the outside its like 3 meters in diameter. Sort of like the galaxies in the marbles in MIB i guess?

Point being: maybe the gem was cut so well it's somehow bigger on the inside than the outside due to some crazy quantum stuff,or something.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »

Think about it this way. You can get 1 gem for 1 tile of gem wall. You can get 1 stone for 1 tile of stone wall. 1 stone is large enough to craft tables, doors and cabinets. Presumably, 1 gem is equal in size to 1 stone. If this were not true, you would logically be able to derive more than 1 gem from 1 gem wall tile.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »

Point being: maybe the gem was cut so well it's somehow bigger on the inside than the outside due to some crazy quantum stuff,or something.

That dwarf has built a Tardis!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 01:27:20 am »

Oh Goody, time to to put on my Doctor WHo uber fan nerd cap. Lucky for you, the Type-40 technical readout is currently my desktop background.

Strictly speaking, as the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) has the capacity for time travel, and the coffin doesn't, what you want to say is that the coffin is dimensionally transcendental.

That being said, the Daleks time ships were called DARDIS (which, if I were recall, was a sort of backronym for Dalek TARDIS)... so, with that in mind, I suppose we could also call it a DARDIS- Dwarven Amort, Relatively Dimensional In Space.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 01:32:37 am »

Or, you know, we could call it the RFHG- Really Frikkin' Huge Gemstone.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 01:54:53 am »

Actually a Doctor Who mod for Dwarf Fortress would make a lot of sense.  We could put Tractators as underground creatures, and opening the clown car could release Daleks.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 02:13:54 am »

and opening the clown car could release Daleks.

Actually, due to the way that abyssal creatures work, it wouldn't.  And it's still not a clown car.

You could find them wandering around though.  Sorta like deer.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 02:18:37 am »

And the Doctor could be a noble, except he actually DOES something!
くコ:彡

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21:00 am »

Nah.  He should just be an exceptionally rare caste type that has a very short lifespan and wildly varying physical characteristics.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 07:34:04 am »

How are woodcrafters useless?
What about multiple Legendary Bowyers(two moods, one High Master immigrant) on a version with broken marksdwarves?

Then again, with some highly skilled mechanics, it did turn the entrance to my fort into... pretty much this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:24 pm »

Or, you know, we could call it the RFHG- Really Frikkin' Huge Gemstone.

Yeah, but doesn't roll off the tongue easily. How do you pronounce that? Rrfhh-g?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4