Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?  (Read 5560 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 12:47:59 pm »

Legendary gemcutter useless? I think not, simply because of how rare good gemstones are in the first place. Any limited resource won't be wasted on amateurs in my forts.

Besides, large gems are great if you want to build a treasury chamber.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:58 pm »

I make my gem-cutting workshops only allow novices at most, to avoid my gems becoming large gems.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 01:01:11 pm »

Imagine if strand extractors had a skill-based chance of converting raw adamantine to adamantine crafts instead of the strands you wanted for your weapons.
How quickly would you throw skillful strand extractors into magma?

The issue with gem cutters is that instead of getting the item you asked for (because you need it for some purpose or another), they give you something useless.
Large gems and adamantine crafts are nice to have. But it sucks to get them in place of the thing you actually wanted.

And Cotes, for some reason, seems to be implying that low-skilled gem cutters run a risk of destroying a gem and getting nothing from it at all, which they do not. The only chance of "waste" in gem cutting is the chance of getting some piece of garbage you're going to pawn off on the elves instead of being able to decorate the king's throne the way you wanted.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 01:13:01 pm »

Which is why you control the amounts of large gems and small gems by making multiple skill restricted jeweler's workshops.

I haven't had as high as legendary gem cutter yet in this version though, so I'm not sure if the random crafts thing is way too frequent by then. But yeah, large gems are nice for bling's sake.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 01:14:22 pm »

Or, you know, we could call it the RFHG- Really Frikkin' Huge Gemstone.

Yeah, but doesn't roll off the tongue easily. How do you pronounce that? Rrfhh-g?

I think it's pronounced Rough hug.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 01:25:09 pm »

Or, you know, we could call it the RFHG- Really Frikkin' Huge Gemstone.

Yeah, but doesn't roll off the tongue easily. How do you pronounce that? Rrfhh-g?

I think it's pronounced Rough hug.

Touché. To my ETERNAL joy, I just had a dwarf make a beautiful leather sandal in the leatherworks. And he became a legendary Tanner.

Right.

Great.

Thank you.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »

He should open up a salon.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 09:56:56 pm »

He should open up a salon.

You know... that would really work! Think about it- I go to all this trouble to build deep underground statue parks with access to the open air, just to prevent cave adaption. But a salon would be so much simpler. A mirror or two, bouncing light down underground, to be used in tanning booths... give the dwarves a health glow.

Damn, there's just so many opportunities here. Early mirrors were made of heavily polished obsidian... surely dwarves need a barber, they've got so much hair. Go in for a trim, and some nice UV rays to give your skin that healthy inner glow... we can cheat and make the tables out of pitchblende...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 06:32:57 am »

That's the other edge of the double-edged sword of artifact creation.  Sometimes it's a useless artifact and you get a useless or worse than useless legendary dwarf.  Sometimes its an already-legendary mason or miner who gets a mood and creates a rock quern.  Sometimes you get slapped in the face by the RNG (Possessed Armorer created a metal shoe... one shoe!)

Actually now that I think about it, it's more like a 6-edged sword with 5 of those edges ready to cut you.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 08:23:44 am »

Actually now that I think about it, it's more like a 6-edged sword with 5 of those edges ready to cut you.
And naturally, the hilt menaces with spikes.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:00 am »

That's the other edge of the double-edged sword of artifact creation.  Sometimes it's a useless artifact and you get a useless or worse than useless legendary dwarf.  Sometimes its an already-legendary mason or miner who gets a mood and creates a rock quern.  Sometimes you get slapped in the face by the RNG (Possessed Armorer created a metal shoe... one shoe!)

a) Rock querns are useful for decoration.

b) Already-legendary masons are actually great for moods. Legendary + 5 = no shitty "superior" furniture.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 09:58:46 am »

build the coffin in your dining room.

There was a mod for 40d that allowed you to 'roughen' large gems, returning them to the raw state. Maybe it has been updated?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

Gem artifacts can be hilarious, and valuable. Less recently but back in 40d i had guys make buckets out of peridot or weapon racks out of yellow spessartine. It was kinda badass.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »

so... It's a cat?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 02:18:47 pm »

I make my gem-cutting workshops only allow novices at most, to avoid my gems becoming large gems.

Has it actually been proven that highly skilled gem cutters create gem crafts more frequently than unskilled gem cutters do?
I've seen at least one experiment (performed in 40d) which suggested that skill level had no effect on the frequency of producing crafts instead of cut gems, which would make a legendary gem cutter more valuable so as to maximize the value of the inevitable gem crafts you get.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:20:27 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4