Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?  (Read 5558 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:57:38 am »

So, gem cutter goes fey, grabs a bed beryl and starts his mysterious construction. I sigh, "ooh, another perfectly cut gem, how simply fraking marvelous. Worth 4200 dwarfbucks. Lovely. Thanks."

I come back later. He has built a red beryl coffin. Out of ONE GEM. He is now a legendary gem cutter, which would be cool... if that was in any way USEFUL. It is almost as useless as legendary woodcrafters, I have NO use for those guys.

Still one gem is now a whole coffin. It must be micrometres think, one gem cut it infetesimal strips and built together to make a coffin. Wow. Just wow. 48000 dwarfbucks. Not bad.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did.. but... how did you.. I don't... huh?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:23 am »

Assign it to your favorite military Dwarf... The nobles might complain, but the military are the ones who deserve it (and are most likely to make use of it)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:11:37 am »

Not useless! Some of your nobles require last resting places of some quality. Or you could just place it somewhere dwarves tend to rest and hope they get a happy thought from it.

To be honest, it's kind of awesome.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 01:19:10 am »

Huh. I always like having nice jewelers... I use burrows to make sure they can only access the masterwork statues, cover them from head to foot in sparklies and put them in stairwells. Never had a tantrum spiral.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:40:04 am »

No, the item isn't useless, but a legendary gem CUTTER is. A setter has use, a cutter at legendary doesn't add much.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:50:07 am »

He cuts faster, and has a higher chance of creating gem objects. Not enitrely useless, seeing as you'll only ever need one.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:53:06 am »

bearing in mind that one gem object has enough bits of gem in it to stud an entire bed or throne...

still impressive.

He cuts faster, and has a higher chance of creating gem objects. Not enitrely useless, seeing as you'll only ever need one.

cut faster == good

gem objects == waste of resources
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:58:38 am »

Cavebrands currently has an artifact yellow grossular barrel.  We're using it to store donkey intestines.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 07:06:23 am »

It is almost as useless as legendary woodcrafters, I have NO use for those guys.

I usually title them "Boltmaker", as that's about the only use I get out of them. That's if you're on a map with a lot of trees; otherwise they are indeed useless.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:27:14 am »

I love having awesome coffins. I put my favourite dead dwarves in them pride of place in my entrance/corridors/stairways.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:25:43 am »

How are woodcrafters useless? I always like to offer some wooden crafts as a gift to the elves before I soak the trade depot with magma.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:05:45 pm »

I once got a legendary woodcrafter from him going fey to create a masterwork oak barrel that menaced with spikes of cow bones.  It managed to end up in the personal stockpile of a baron, holding wine I think, and the woodcrafter churned out wooden bolts like a motherfucker, which helped train my marksdwarves.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

I think you have developed the first royal rat coffin. It can't be large enough for much else. The next challenge is to melt a noble, recover the ashes somehow, and place the urn-coffin on the mantle of your mayoral quarters as a reminder of what mandates for slade cause.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »

Reminds me of the time a dwarf made a coffin out of the bones of a rabbit...

The first casualty of the fortress went right in it.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 02:45:43 pm »

Yeah it's either really tiny, or, like I said, built of layers of sliced gem nanometres thick. Which IS impressive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4