Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mayor discovers how to survive clown attack (spoilers)  (Read 3003 times)

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor discovers how to survive clown attack (spoilers)
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »

So I decided I wasn't having enough fun, and decided to try and crack open the clown cave for the first time. I read the wiki and breached it via an adamantine column. So demons of course spilled out and I greatly enjoyed watching them tear apart my military and everything else. I let them do their thing for while waiting for them to clean up everything, until I noticed 0 idlers. I didn't see any dwarfs left so I went to unit screen to find why I hadn't yet won lost the game yet. Turns out my mayor didn't feel like giving up his castle, because this is what I found (images):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I'm going to have to shamefully abandon my fort rather than do what Armok would have me :(

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor discovers how to survive clown attack (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:56:35 pm »

Keep playing and see how many clowns appear.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »

Hahah, he went unconcious on top of a cage trap. And everyone knows clowns just love their cages creatures (40d...)

Well he will he starve/dehydrate eventualy.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »

Wow, you could line your entire fort with cage traps, and during dire situations you could use dust machines to knock everyone into the 'emergency bunkers'

PS: If there's a wild vermin in a cage, can a dwarf eat it? The demon rat thing shows that they love to ear live, untamed vermin.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 06:54:40 pm »

PS: If there's a wild vermin in a cage, can a dwarf eat it? The demon rat thing shows that they love to ear live, untamed vermin.
In 40d dwarves would prefer to eat live caged untamed vermin over any other food.  In DF2010 this seems to have been fixed.  Now they can eat vermin in cages, but will only do so as a desperate last resort, and will get a bad thought from doing so.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:13:52 pm »

Things will never die if you cage them, unless something happens to open that cage.

Whether it's a lock mechanism, a lava trap, or a raving mad hungry dwarf.

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

Hmm, you should try caging every dwarf in your fort Calvin, and tell us how it goes :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:05:45 pm »

Things will never die if you cage them, unless something happens to open that cage.
Actually, your dwarves can still die of thirst or hunger, and I think also old age, while caged.  They can also go insane.  I've also had creatures bleed to death in cages, as a result of being mortally wounded moments before stepping on a cage trap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »

Hmm... escape pods! Knock out evacuees with cave in into cage traps, then get the cages out of there (maybe a cave in below the cages (would that kill them if they're inside the cages?) or a high pressure water release).

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »

It seems the clowns had a little too much fun with mayor before he was caged. He died of infection a fair while after. He did last long enough for a goblin ambush to show up at the drawbridge though. I can only imagine looks on their faces. "We have you now dwarfs! We claim this castle and your children in the name of our demon lord!" *flames spew from the castle entrance as hundreds of demons emerge and fly down from the battlements*

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

Now I have a crazy idea of a fully automated machine that knocks dwarves into cages and floods the cages onto a bridgapult which in turn slings the dwarves to safety. Or death.

I must attempt this, despite knowing I will probably just flood my fortress and kill masons with caveins.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:58:39 pm »

Hmm... escape pods! Knock out evacuees with cave in into cage traps, then get the cages out of there (maybe a cave in below the cages (would that kill them if they're inside the cages?) or a high pressure water release).
Now I have a crazy idea of a fully automated machine that knocks dwarves into cages and floods the cages onto a bridgapult which in turn slings the dwarves to safety. Or death.

These must happen. Is there any way to break/open a non-constructed cage without killing what is inside? (Any number of injuries is fine, just has to live for a period of time). Would 1/7 magma or something burn the cage but let what's inside escape?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 09:07:57 am »

I once melted some creature out of their cages when merchants brought some weird modded material with them. The merchants themselves didnt fare so well, but I think lead has a pretty low melting point. Maybe burning things would work well enough?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

I've had my liaison die in a cage (in 40d) after a kobold cut his foot off and he got himself caged three times.

dwarfs will die if left in cages long enough, so just wait for him to die or migrants to show up so you can build his cage and release him and then have them all charge heroically into the pits to avenge their fallen comrades.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:47 pm »

This isn't 40d, so on the bright side at least he wasn't caged by &s.

Case in point:
It seems the clowns had a little too much fun with mayor before he was caged. He died of infection a fair while after.

If the clowns were &s then it would seem the clowns had a little too much fun with mayor before and after he was caged. But on the other hand, he would probably die of infection much sooner then.

Also, in response to the the Goblins when the demons rush out:

"We have you now dwarfs! We claim this castle and your children in the name of our demon lord!" *flames spew from the castle entrance as hundreds of demons emerge and fly down from the battlements*

Are there different factions of clowns or clown civ entities yet (and would they be called "troupes"? ) If not then technically wouldn't the gobs and clowns be allies, then have a party and drink all the dead dwarves booze after the clowns mention that the gob's Demon Lord ringmaster is their bro.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.
Pages: [1] 2