Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I continue?  (Read 2458 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Should I continue?
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »

I'm playing as an adventurous human and have done pretty well for myself. By this I mean I've killed my own god and ended the organized worship of an entire civilization by killing a Hydra with golden scales. There's only one problem: during the battle I managed to get the motor and sensory nerves in my right leg severed. I'm now hobbling around at a measly 602 speed and, though I am quite good at defending myself, I'm pretty much bait if I want to attack anything with bows.
So I ask you, shall I continue on until I finally meat my match out in battle, or retire with honor in a small village?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I continue?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »

Find every single doctor in the world, and kill them all for being unable to help you.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »

I tend to make a hat out of my succesful adventurers once I am done with them, but perhaps it would be more fun to have him meet some horrably grizzly demise. Think volcano crater jumping, or some evil device left by an old fortress.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:23:09 pm »

Retire him for a bit in a town with a doctor.  Busy yourself with something else for a eyar or so, and then bring him back out of retirement.  See if he's gotten any better.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 06:38:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure severed nerves are almost impossible to fix with modern technology, let alone medieval medicine.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 06:39:32 pm »

Nerve damage will never get better, it's permanent. Retiring and using dfhack to force your adventurer to become the warlord/mayor/civ leader of some town or civ would give your adventurer the honorable retirement he deserves. Going out with a bang isn't feasible, you'd need to find a cave with booze lying around, grab it, start a fire and sit next to the fire for several hundred ticks until the booze explodes, or you melt, but you'l still melt if the booze explodes.
Or wait for some lowly archer to kill you in her own cowardly way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »

Find a cave/cavern/tunnel. Wander until you run into something. Fight it.
Repeat until you die.
The way I see it, it's a legendary warrior taking the noble end. If he went back to civilisation he would be a burden to any doctor or carer that chose to take him. If he killed himself outright, if would be a disrespect to his entire, epic life. In going out by taking down every challenge he can find until he cannot physically go on and is struck down, he does a service for the world he scarred, and dies the death of a true warrior.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:26:25 pm »

go to hell

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:43:48 pm »

Find a cave/cavern/tunnel. Wander until you run into something. Fight it.
Repeat until you die.
The way I see it, it's a legendary warrior taking the noble end. If he went back to civilisation he would be a burden to any doctor or carer that chose to take him. If he killed himself outright, if would be a disrespect to his entire, epic life. In going out by taking down every challenge he can find until he cannot physically go on and is struck down, he does a service for the world he scarred, and dies the death of a true warrior.

I believe this is called the Grey Warden Solution.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:38 pm »

Retire or go down in a blaze of blood stained, fire forged, scream filled glory...

...what is thy will?...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »

During one of my quests for a human town, I got attacked by a black bear and had the same thing happen, except it was my spine, and I lost my ability to walk at all. As revenge, I snuck back into the town every night for about a week and beat everyone to death in their beds. Then the warlord, and many people apparently took notice and stayed up late to meet me. I killed em all, but was decently wounded. I slaughtered about 200 humans. All this while dragging myself across the ground.

Then, out of nowhere, a bolt pierces my steel helm and kills me instantly.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »

Duh. Pick up a crutch. Use it and master it. Problem solved.
You'll probably need to retire temporarily and make a quick dwarven outpost to loot for crutches.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:28 am »

or if your playing 31.09-11 then you just need to take your 'smack two stones together' reaction and edit it to make a crutch reaction.

Nerve damage will never get better, it's permanent. Retiring and using dfhack to force your adventurer to become the warlord/mayor/civ leader of some town or civ would give your adventurer the honorable retirement he deserves. Going out with a bang isn't feasible, you'd need to find a cave with booze lying around, grab it, start a fire and sit next to the fire for several hundred ticks until the booze explodes, or you melt, but you'l still melt if the booze explodes.
Or wait for some lowly archer to kill you in her own cowardly way.
I want to do that soo bad, but don't know enough about dfhack to do it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:54:38 am »

Retire him and make a fortress right next to the town,bring a crutch with the fortress and then go and grab the crutch and wield it.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 06:53:31 am »

Let it be platinum crutch for extra smacking power.
He-he-he, now that's a mental image I like...
Pages: [1] 2