Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Godhood II OOC Thread  (Read 21419 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood II OOC Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

Nah i only think he uses the old quote:
you use science not to be right but to become right...

this one uses his godly might not to be right but to become right...
he kills all gods so none is there anymore which makes him...somehow right...

Edit: it seems ExKirby is trying to start his own godhood...maybe i should join? :P ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:08:01 pm by Ghazkull »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »

"Atheist" sounds better than "anti-god," but the latter is definitely the correct term. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods; a Nihilusist is someone who doesn't believe in the gods' right to do as they wish or possibly even exist.

Also, somewhat ninja'd. I thought maybe deicist, but I don't even know what that would mean exactly. Deicidal and Deiphobic are pretty good.

EDIT CAUSED BY ANOTHER EDIT: I would say the intent of ExKirby's is just to do ridiculous things with no constraint. Depending on how you feel about making a mango planet that is promptly eaten by another god's giant walrus-turtle, this might be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm personally inclined to think it would be amusing at first and get old somewhat quickly.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:12:31 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2010, 04:11:30 pm »

Oh, the godhunter could know that there are gods. He would just think that they are only especially powerful wizards. Thus an atheistic godhunter would be possible.

Nihilus is odd, that`s true. His pure existence is paradoxical. He was created as an counterweight to all the godly influence, and tries to eliminate them.. And at the end he will kill himself.

Nihilus might be a god, but there are different kind of gods. Like Astra`ath in the old universe. Nihilus is more like a personified ideal, the essence of doubt.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:11 pm »

Edit: it seems ExKirby is trying to start his own godhood...maybe i should join? :P ;)
I did. :P

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »

Actually, in a universe where gods are definite, literal things, an a-theist would be one who opposes the gods or seeks a world without gods.  One who didn't believe* in a god might just be agnostic.

If we go back to Biblical times (30-3000 BCE era), or even to pre-Enlightenment times, an 'atheist' was someone who didn't believe in the popular gods.  Christians (after about ~200 CE when they separated from mainstream Judaism completely) were atheists to the Jews and Roman Cult.  I think (but I'm not certain) that Lutherans were briefly 'atheists' to the Catholic Church in Rome when they first arose.

But in this game and in this context, I will interpret atheism as a deliberate opposition to the gods.

*A word on the topic of belief, as I've been reading the subject recently ("The Case for God by Karen Armstrong"), 'belief' and 'faith' didn't mean pre-Enlightenment what they mean today in religious contexts.

If we go back to the original prophet of Jesus, Jesus demanded 'belief' of his followers, but he didn't ask them to take everything he said as truth.  Since Jesus' mission was to spread charity and compassion, he wanted followers who believed enough in the cause that they were willing to make sacrifices (i.e. being charitable, going against their own self-interest).  Traditionally, one who believes is simply one who believes enough in a cause to be committed to it.

The point of all that is that this is why in this version of Godhood, you get to command followers but you don't get power from them.  Belief doesn't work that way - at least in this Universe.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:08 pm »

Lordinquisitor could it be that your god is inspired by Knights of the Old Republic? :P ???

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2010, 04:17:49 pm »

I suppose you're right about the context of atheist.

So, is there a way to get your followers to go far enough beyond believing to grant you power? Could organized worship or sacrifice qualify, or would they just have to promote your spheres enough that you (and presumably anyone sharing your spheres) were able to draw strength from the incident?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2010, 04:18:33 pm »

So, is there a way to get your followers to go far enough beyond believing to grant you power? Could organized worship or sacrifice qualify, or would they just have to promote your spheres enough that you (and presumably anyone sharing your spheres) were able to draw strength from the incident?
In this game, worshipers don't grant power so its not a worry.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:21 pm »

Lordinquisitor could it be that your god is inspired by Knights of the Old Republic? :P ???
Heh, I'd forgotten about that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »

Actually not. I derived the name from the doctrine of nihilism. Though, after i posted my god i immediately googled nihilus up and rued it.  :-\

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:16 pm »

well i think i get myself banned now from Exkirbys Godhood game  :'( and i put so much fantasy in it...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

In this game, worshipers don't grant power so its not a worry.

Tough question here.  My flat rule is that the 'belief' of worshippers only increases their loyalty and their likelihood of success at certain tasks (religious fervour).  However, if sacrifice and organised worship play a significant role in their worship, it is possible that these acts may bind their loyalty/belief further, giving you a bonus to their belief.

As for acts relating to your sphere...  Well, this can work actually, but I'd say it depends on location and scale.  Say your worshippers wreck the dams/river banks in a location, flooding a plain.  Local bonus to Water & Destruction.  No gain in acts, but more influence for Water/Destruction gods there and divine Acts or commands will be cheaper/easier.

Say a cabal of insane wizards melts the ice caps, major bonus to Water and Destruction that turn as the planet floods.  Easily 4/5 bonus acts' worth, divided amongst all the gods with those spheres (in the event of odd numbers, who gets what is decided by random chance).

In summary:  If your worshippers perform acts that empower a certain sphere, gods relating to that sphere may get bonuses.  Ritual sacrifice and organised worship will not empower you, but they may promote devotion or have economic/political benefits (and penalties!) for your worshippers, which may help them perform tasks that you command of them.

Edit:  Also, phlegm beasts?  Dear gods, man, what have you created?!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:32:58 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »

well i think i get myself banned now from Exkirbys Godhood game  :'( and i put so much fantasy in it...
He hasn't even responded to your post, why would you assume you are banned?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »

look at it ... doesnt it tell everything...?

Edit: @ Iituem: i just thought of Spore and then i blew my nose...well one thing comes to another and seriously such things happen always ever stop lying sometimes in my sick mind if the right conditions are met (meaning every day very seldom)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:37:34 pm by Ghazkull »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »

Hmm, would anyone want to play as a Guide (Psychopomps, essentially) that serves moi, or at the least works with Death? I have some ideas, but I don't want to overexert myself by playing a gazillion and one peoples, like last time...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22