Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy newb pack with 30.11  (Read 1689 times)

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy newb pack with 30.11
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »

Sooooooooooooo i just started playing and having watched 40 tutorial videos i think i have a good grasp on how to get things up and running.  However i ran into the no training dwarves problems which was fixed with this patch.  So how do i get to .11 with all the graphic and tile sets.  The reason i never played before now is i never got the desire to learn how to install 50 different things and edit ini's ect ect.  Is there an easy way to patch to .11 and keep all my mods operating?

On a side note this game is indeed an epic time vampire, but I sure would like to get my dwarfs training. 

Yes i am a newb, and no, i do not know how to read. 

Thanks for your help and thanks for making this glorious game that i've just discovered!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy newb pack with 30.11
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:23 pm »

Being as 30.11 came out less than 24 hours ago, and you don't want to mess with the raws yourself, I'd reccomend you just wait a few days for someone to update the noob pack for the latest version.  It's not like it will take more than a couple days, and it's not like 30.10 was such a horrible buggy mess that it was unplayable.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:03:36 pm »

but I'm off today and on vacation next week i've only had the game for 2 days and i need more its worse then crack#()@!()#!@)@#_!@$)!@()#@()

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:11:54 pm »

I know how you people feel.

The only solution is to play unmodded. Every time a new version comes out, just edit the .inis so it fits your preferences (5 minutes of effort), and play a new game. Don't use external applications, graphics packs or anything; and don't cry when you have to start over again.

Otherwise I suggest you just stick to your old versions and update to the current ones whenever you actually do have the time  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

vinegarninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:18:33 pm »

I know how you people feel.

The only solution is to play unmodded. Every time a new version comes out, just edit the .inis so it fits your preferences (5 minutes of effort), and play a new game. Don't use external applications, graphics packs or anything; and don't cry when you have to start over again.

Otherwise I suggest you just stick to your old versions and update to the current ones whenever you actually do have the time  :o

this man speaks words of infinite wisdom.
This is what I do with new versions, but it got a little nuts at 31.04 ->.07 cause updates were like every two weeks or some such madness.
Quote from: dragnar
DF: play for a period of time determined by your lag, OMGWTFBBQ complex gameplay, you will have Fun.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:04:16 am »

Well you could have asked in the LNP forum thread instead of making a new one.
Really you can start playing with the .10 pack, and (oh, you did!) just upgrade your game later.
But I'll probably put a 30.11 pack together tomorrow. I'm REALLY surprised that there seems to be .xmls for Stonesense and DT already. It took like three weeks for that to happen for .10
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:08:42 am by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:13:17 pm »

Updating is relatively easy if you have only graphical tilesets to worry about - copy all the new files over your existing installation except for init.txt ( and d_init.txt, if you or the Noob Pack maker made any changes to the settings ) located in /data/init, and then follow this advice to make sure your saved game is "updated" as well:

1) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
2) copy /raw/ from the main DF folder into your data/save/region***/ folder

( courtesy of DFG website )