Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building stairs on floors  (Read 12055 times)

starclaws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building stairs on floors
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:11:34 am »

Right now, digging down and placing up/down stairs as I go, I usually open a huge cavern that I am not ready for just yet.  Often times in fictional stories dwarves find dangerous caverns like this and do everything in their power to seal them up.  But, the only way to remove the stairs is the 'Remove up stairs/ramp' designation and then a 'Channel' designation on the down stairs.  You then have this hole right in your stairway room that you can cover-up by building a floor.

Now the problem comes in when you still want to use the up/down stairs up above you.  You can't build up stairs on the floor tile.  And you have this random down staircase that leads to nowhere.  Bad for drunken dwarves and their endless stairs they deal with.  Accident waiting to happen :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:15:24 am by starclaws »

Frumpy Playtools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building stairs on floors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:23 am »

seconded

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:10:15 pm »

Build up stairs instead of a floor.

Alternatively, instead of digging out downward stairs, build one instead. Then, when you remove it, a floor is left instead of a hole.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »

Right now, digging down and placing up/down stairs as I go, I usually open a huge cavern that I am not ready for just yet.  Often times in fictional stories dwarves find dangerous caverns like this and do everything in their power to seal them up.  But, the only way to remove the stairs is the 'Remove up stairs/ramp' designation and then a 'Channel' designation on the down stairs.  You then have this hole right in your stairway room that you can cover-up by building a floor.

Now the problem comes in when you still want to use the up/down stairs up above you.  You can't build up stairs on the floor tile.  And you have this random down staircase that leads to nowhere.  Bad for drunken dwarves and their endless stairs they deal with.  Accident waiting to happen :)

Your solution is one I found, I do 3x3 "i"'s all the way down, when I hit a cavern now, I find the tile that is exposed and do a [-b][-c][-u] on it, that won't work if it's the only one, but if you do two, you can build the upstairs on one, then when that's done you can build it on the other, then you're safe.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:25:16 pm by Mason11987 »

starclaws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:40 am »

Alternatively, instead of digging out downward stairs, build one instead. Then, when you remove it, a floor is left instead of a hole.

If you don't build a floor... There is a hole. Often 3-5 layers deep dropping into the deep cavern.  And I don't believe you can build in mid air! That would be a bug!

As for the other part... Please elaborate.  One? It?

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:40:47 am »

An up stair comes complete with floor. The stairs below it reach up to connect, but they can't connect; the up stair doesn't reach down, because it has a floor under it. That's why people don't fall though up stairs when there's space under it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

You could make a 1x3 hall, with a down stair and up stair at each end. That way if you accidentally open up a cavern you can wall off a hall.

And the Up Stair would also work. Or just a Hatch. Building destroyers can't target stuff on different Z levels.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:28 pm »

You could make a 1x3 hall, with a down stair and up stair at each end. That way if you accidentally open up a cavern you can wall off a hall.

And the Up Stair would also work. Or just a Hatch. Building destroyers can't target stuff on different Z levels.

I never knew this, so many possibilities to protect myself from flying FBs are now open!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:49:30 pm »

Build hatches over the stairs and lock em.

Done.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 06:39:50 pm »

As for the other part... Please elaborate.  One? It?

If you build downward stairs (b-C-d) on a natural floor, dig out upward stairs below it, then remove (d-n) the down stairs you built, the floor you built on will remain intact (This is a bug). I suppose this wouldn't work too well when digging out a long staircase, though.

starclaws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:59:26 am »

Guess that's an alright work-around... But still!! Need to be able to build on floor :)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

There was a thread about this not too long ago. You should read it.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 06:03:36 pm »

You CONSTRUCT STAIRS on both floors (an  (Down or Up/Down) on the upper floor and a (Up or Up/Down) on the floor below) and they will connect. When you remove the stairs, the floors will still be intact. Convenient if you keep your halls aligned between z levels, and find yourself needing more connecting stairs.

And you can build down. That was added so you can build an up stairs or an up/down stairs from above into uncovered caverns.

learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!